Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Rifle

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You heard it boys. 95% (Dare I say more) of the AR’s that M4Cers own that have thousands of rounds through them aren’t ready for the poop to hit the fan. If you aren’t running the most expensive brands you’re going to die. If you’re running a BCM you’re gonna die. Don’t feel bad all my builds that have thousands of failure free rounds down the pipe aren’t good enough either. I’m gonna die too. With all my functioning AR’s. #sadness.

If your SHTF rifle isn’t a KAC/LMT/Geissele, then it isn’t worthy literally made me laugh.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis7702 View Post
    Thank you for your technical support and all of your knowledge to ensure that I probably refrain from using the term SHFT when I refer to my rifle. For my future posts I ensure to send my technical specifications and verbiage to ensure that I do not offend.
    I would commend you on your post. 75% of the guys who post in this particular thread (including guys with hundreds to thousands of posts) don’t follow the guidelines and share with us the purpose of the build and the “why”of the parts used. You did that in a detailed manner and I for one appreciate that. Here’s another thought. Opinions are like.....well if you’re a former soldier you know the rest of that phrase and it’s probably obvious that we don’t run a shortage of opinions or asses here, and I won’t exclude myself from that at times. So if that’s your SHTF rifle then follow docsherm’s advice and run it hard. Take it out spend some range days running a lot of ammo through it. When I take a new build out to function test it, I usually run it hard and I run a variety of ammo, from crappy ammo to quality ammo. I want to try and cover any ammo scenario I might run into. If you’re physically up to it and have the facility/land/range, then get out and run and gun with it. Nothing will point out deficiencies quicker than running it hard while while you run hard (including your own physical deficiencies as I have found.). You may find you want a lighter rail. You may find some part cant handle the hard use, or you might find it runs like a champ. My point here is don’t be discouraged because your rifle doesn’t have enough Geissele parts or isn’t a $2400 KAC. I’ve ran most of my guns really hard and in hard conditions and that’s why I am confident in their capabilities and that’s the path to building confidence. Not every great plan ends up being great in execution but you are the only person who will figure that out. Then again, maybe while you’re drinking a cold beer I’ll still be cleaning my guns. Well, if I cleaned them that might be true. :-)
    One last comment ill make and I hope it’s taken as constructive criticism. If I’m building a go-to rifle aka a SHTF rifle, then I’m going to use parts from known, reputable manufacturers. That doesn’t mean it has to be the most expensive part. it means it has to be a proven part. So if I had one recommendation it would be don’t sacrifice quality at the altar of how easy it cleans up. I’ve never heard of Juggernaut rails before so I would definitely heed the recommendation to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t shift or rotate on you.
    Great job on the write up though and don’t let a couple of “Brand Fans” deter you from posting your future builds.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 05-20-20 at 02:15.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Thank you, I will definitely be posting more on here. I have a few more rifles I want to build.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Ladies and gentlemen, unless your in combat, all of your firearms are range toys. Even if you train hard everyday and plan for the worse, your firearm is a range toy, regardless of what label you put upon it. Now, if you have a duty weapon that is a different situation.
    Interesting perspective. What about CCW & HD firearms? Are those range toys as well?

Feedback Score
    Good question. I feel the pistol I carry Is both a range toy and is actively used for the purpose it was purchased for. I am not in active engagements with my pistol everyday and never have been. Therefore, the terminology I use for my firearms When they’re not being used in a defensive manor they are considered range toys to me. You maybe different which is okay. To each his their own I respect your opinion.
    Last edited by Ellis7702; 05-20-20 at 13:26.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What a weird thread.

Feedback Score
    I am lost at how my idea for rifle and the terminology I use has sparked so much investigative and defensive conversation.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you think I can update the rifle without recreating it let me know. I am always open to constructive criticism.Attachment 62458Attachment 62459Attachment 62460Attachment 62461
    I am lost at how my idea for rifle and the terminology I use has sparked so much investigative and defensive conversation.
    When I see the term SHTF, I assume that the person is wanting the most durable and dependable rifle they can build within their confined budget and needs. In looking at your build list and googling the products, it appears you probably spent more money on questionable parts than parts of known quality and good reputation would have cost you.

Spikes buffers are filled with tungsten powder rather than traditional weights. Their claim is that it eliminates bolt bounce from taking place, but they actually cause bolt bounce. There were some videos on youtube at one time showing it.

NiB has also been shown to not really do any of the things they claimed it would, and can lead to premature failure due to the application process. There's a lot of threads here on the subject. The choice of a NiB upper with black cerakote is a strange choice in my opinion, I'd much rather have the standard hard coat anodized finish that has worked well for decades.

You bought two different BCGs, neither of which would be my choice for a BCG, instead of a quality BCG from BCM or SOLGW etc.

The Hiperfire trigger is another thing I wouldn't have used, considering the LaRue MBT is readily available.

I wouldn't have chosen the Meprolight optic simply because the IDF use it, and it sounds like you're already unhappy with it. An Aimpoint micro or Trijicon MRO might be something to look into.

For the money the Juggernaut handguard cost that you selected simply because it was different, you could have spent another $20 and had a BCM MCMR or QRF free float rail, which are a known quality product.

I'm not just taking the opportunity to shit on your build here either, but you seem confused as to why some don't consider it a good option for a SHTF rifle so I thought I'd provide some reasons why. This forum is an excellent source of information, and my advice to you or anyone is to ask questions here about certain products before you buy them, that way you can make a better informed decision and not have the criticism feel like an attack because you've already bought them.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    A lot of these new whiz bang products that claim to “improve” the system are really just solutions to problems that don’t exist. Stick to known good brands with quality materials and QC and you’ll be fine for “SHTF” or range toys for that matter.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In defense of choosing the Hiperfire EDT over a Larue MBT, its a pretty good single stage that is suitable for putting in work. So, if someone doesn’t want a two stage, its a good option.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast