Thread: Benelli M1 Super 90 14" Barrel Threading

Feedback Score

Benelli M1 Super 90 14" Barrel Threading

I've tried to do a fair amount of research on this and don't think I have been able to find the answer. I'm looking to pick up a Benelli 14" factory barrel for M1 Super 90 that comes fixed cylinder choke. Does anyone know if the end of the barrel is thick enough to thread for other chokes, specifically the Benelli Crio Chokes with the ultimate goal of adding the SilencerCo Salvo. Most of the threads I have read have stated chopping Benelli barrels are too thin in that 14-16" area. Recently, I learned about the factory 14" barrels and would think they would be able to be threaded. I've reached out to Rose Action Sports, Van Comp, and Sterling Arsenal. I will report back after I see what they say. Let me know your thoughts if you have any experience or knowledge.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Benelli Forums:

I use Steve Rose, Rose Action Sports in Pembroke, KY (gunsmith@roseactionsports). He has cut, crowned and re-threaded barrels for 11-87, 870 and the M1 Super 90 (cut to 13.5"). Choke tubes will have to be Tru-Choke (standard, not Thin Wall) because of the barrel thickness. I couldn't find anyone who had the tooling to re-thread for the original choke tubes.

Since you are checking with him, you'll soon have a definitive answer on the factory versus cut-down barrels.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-19-20 at 17:53.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Benelli Forums:

I use Steve Rose, Rose Action Sports in Pembroke, KY (gunsmith@roseactionsports). He has cut, crowned and re-threaded barrels for 11-87, 870 and the M1 Super 90 (cut to 13.5"). Choke tubes will have to be Tru-Choke (standard, not Thin Wall) because of the barrel thickness. I couldn't find anyone who had the tooling to re-thread for the original choke tubes.

Since you are checking with him, you'll soon have a definitive answer on the factory versus cut-down barrels.
    I’m hoping with more chokes available now for the Salvo it might open some options. Thanks for sharing. No update from anyone yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So I got a response last night from Steve at Rose Action. He is saying it is not possible with Benelli Crio chokes, but you can thread Benelli barrels for Tru-Chokes. Per Steve, SilencerCo doesn't make a Salvo adapter for Tru-Choke. So I'm going to contact SilencerCo and get any current updates. Someone on the Benelli forum claimed Briley was able to thread their M4 barrel, which historically I had heard mixed whether they could or could not...I emailed Briley as well. So maybe an M4 barrel can be threaded, which then leads to the question will an M4 barrel mount on an M1 Super 90 frame? Wonder if this project is getting too complicated. Long story short...more to follow.

Feedback Score
    I looked into having the barrel cut on my Benelli M2, even if I had to change choke systems. I got a lot of "can't be done"'s until I found a competent shotgun smith that can chop the barrel shorter than the final intended result. He then solders on an extension with more material in the barrel walls, and threads that for standard chokes. This also lets me keep the ventilated rib, which I want, as I am currently using it for an Aimpoint S1.

Keep asking smiths, and you'll find one.

Feedback Score
    Completely agree, there has to be someone out there that can do it and as popular as these Benellis are, I'm surprised how hard this has been. I understand some hesitation from shops based on liability, but to your point, it can be done.

Briley came back to me last night and advised "they can do it", but requires the outer diameter of the barrel to be at least .85" and most Benelli barrels at 14" aren't thick enough. They advised I would need to use a dial caliper or micrometer to measure the diameter to be sure. They also advised they could thread the barrel for their Briley 25 series and then machine a Salvo choke to fit that threading. I'm that is expensive, but I at least asked the question.

A custom barrel is starting to sound like a good idea, but once again not sure where to start on that adventure. Either way, I will keep pinging various shops and see what they say. I have an email into SilencerCo as well. More to follow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FJCowboy View Post
    which then leads to the question will an M4 barrel mount on an M1 Super 90 frame?
    No. They're totally different guns...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    No. They're totally different guns...
    Thanks