Thread: Quantitative Return to Zero Thread

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Quantitative Return to Zero Thread

I was grouping some uppers the other day and half way through I figured it wouldn’t be a bad time to do a basic RTZ test. Both uppers were previously zero’d with the optics on them. One was a BCM with Vortex Crossfire in Scalarworks mount and the other was a KAC Mod2 Carbine with a 1-6 Razor in the Badger C1 mount. The plan was to pull both optics, throw on my new 1-10 Razor (also in a C1), group with some different loads at 50 and 100, then return the original optics to their respective uppers.

First was the BCM. I didn’t plan on testing RTZ so I didn’t shoot an initial group, but it was zero’d at 50yds with the same ammo. After grouping and returning the Crossfire/Scalarworks optic, this is the group I shot to see if my zero shifted.

Next was the KAC. Same plan, but I shot an initial group this time. The horizontal stringing lead me to believe that I was doing something weird as the shooter, rather than the zero being a tad high vs the POA. I should’ve shot a second group but was running out of time.

Here is the confirmation group, and what I expected the initial group would look like.

Not overly scientific and small sample size, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well these two RTZ’d and figured I’d share here.

If anyone has experiences with some type of proof, I’m sure it’d help others to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This has me interested, even though I generally shoot Aimpoints. I'll try it next time I'm out.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No substantiation, but I’ve had a Scalarworks MRO amount off and on a 14.5 gun several times.
    It has returned to zero.

My LaRue, ADM and Bobro (30mm) mounts all require a couple clicks of windage to be on.
    Certainly useably accurate, but not “zero’d”.

It helps to provide forward pressure, push mount towards muzzle- to replicate recoil force, as you tighten mount to rail.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    No substantiation, but I’ve had a Scalarworks MRO amount off and on a 14.5 gun several times.
    It has returned to zero.

My LaRue, ADM and Bobro (30mm) mounts all require a couple clicks of windage to be on.

It helps to provide forward pressure, push mount towards muzzle- to replicate recoil force, as you tighten mount to rail.
    Agreed, I use a paint pen to mark the rail slot and always push forward when tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I also push forward when tightening.

Yesterday I took a gun apart to install one of BRT’s gas restricting tubes. And I changed the suppressor mount due to erosion, and also loosened the barrel nut/rail because of URX4 ship-in-a-bottle issues. I made sure the URX4 was aligned perfectly again when I retorqued. I removed the Romeo 4T in LT660, and Vortex Micro 3x, to get them out of the way while I was doing this.

Today I went to the indoor range to test the function and at least the left-right zero. I was 1/2” left at 25yds. So, 2moa. Vertical component looked about right, but I’ll have to go to a real range this weekend to check. I think I got pretty lucky.

I can’t substantiate this.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Mirrors my experience; LPVOs lost “windage” zero by small degree. Elevation was ON with several examples.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    It has returned to zero.

This is exactly my experience with Scalarworks, LaRue, and ADM mounts for the micro red dots.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, damn. Now Ive got another "test" to do next time at the range!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Interesting thread. I have scalarworks and LaRue mounts as my sample range. I’ll echo that I’ve never had an issue and even go one step farther in that once the optic is zeroed on one upper I can move it to a completely different upper (same caliber) and be about on with a few quick adjustments.