Thread: Precision Bolt Gun Ammo question

Feedback Score

Precision Bolt Gun Ammo question

I was torn which section this should be in. I have an incoming Begara HMR Pro and hoping to get it in and setup before a long range course in mid June. Question I have a few hundred rounds of 308 Gold Medal Match and 308 good hunting ammo. I'm not excited about using a lot of these at the course. I also have a lot of 7.62 x 51 Rad green that's about 30 years old but has been very reliable and reasonably accurate in my previous semi auto 308's.

Question is it OK to shoot 762 x 51 in a Bergara HMR?
    Question 2 is there a recommended ammo that's price reasonable for a course?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I was torn which section this should be in. I have an incoming Begara HMR Pro and hoping to get it in and setup before a long range course in mid June. Question I have a few hundred rounds of 308 Gold Medal Match and 308 good hunting ammo. I'm not excited about using a lot of these at the course. I also have a lot of 7.62 x 51 Rad green that's about 30 years old but has been very reliable and reasonably accurate in my previous semi auto 308's.

Depends on the course...some may have some specific requirements so I would check with them first.

Feedback Score
    You will likely want to use all the same ammo. Test it in the gun. A precision rifle course you’ll need to be 1MOA or better.

Yes, 7.62x51 NATO is safe in a .308 but not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    PracticalRifleman and Lonestardiver are on the money.

I'd add:

Depending on the distance you'll be shooting, that Radway Green 147gr Ball might be more frustration than it's worth. It may group ok at 100, but that doesn't necessarily translate to consistent velocity spread or performance at distance.

For a long range shooting course, you'll probably have a better experience with higher quality ammo, so don't rule out something like the FGMM you already have (assuming it shoots well in your rifle). Better ammo will help you make the most of the instruction you're already paying for.

And as PracticalRifleman said, be sure whatever you take is all the same - including the same lot number if possible. Some factory match ammo can vary enough in velocity between lots to mess with your DOPE. Depending on the load you choose, the distance you'll be shooting, etc., this may or may not be an issue for you. The easiest way to avoid it is to pick a round that shoots well in your rifle and buy it by the case, or even multiple cases from a vendor who will ensure they're all the same lot.

This might be a good alternative to FGMM:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...-p-108934.aspx

It's loaded with the same 175 SMK, uses Lake city brass that you can either reload or sell to recoup some cost, and at $0.88/rd shipped it's a good value at current ammo prices. Depending on the class you're taking, there ought to be enough in that case to sight in your rifle ahead of time, gather velocity data, shoot the course, and have some left over for practice
    or maybe even a match, afterwards.

Prvi Partisan also has a 175gr SMK load that's relatively affordable and is available in 200 rd cases:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi...pp32-p-89.aspx

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Yes, 7.62x51 NATO is safe in a .308 but not the other way around.
    This is my understanding. However we've fired the XM-80 in our guns, and it's every bit as hot as bolt gun ammo.

For the OP, Ball ammo has a WAY different flight path than 168-175 smk. I wouldn't even mess with it. Plus, I don't like cross fouling the bore with varying propellants. Especially going out of extruded into ball, and then back again.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post

Same class you were talking about here? Link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Rifle-Course

For a precision rifle class (content, depth, and design of which TBD) I would take the most precise ammunition I could afford to maximize my learning. Then again, lots of "precision rifle" classes out there that are really just a "magnified optic equipped rifle" class. If the latter, it matters much less.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Same class you were talking about here? Link: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Rifle-Course

For a precision rifle class (content, depth, and design of which TBD) I would take the most precise ammunition I could afford to maximize my learning. Then again, lots of "precision rifle" classes out there that are really just a "magnified optic equipped rifle" class. If the latter, it matters much less.
    Yes same one. I bought a case of the IMI razor core for the 556 to avoid burning up a bunch of my Barnes TSX. I have a lot of the 308 and 7.62 x 51 but currently no 308. I ended up going down the rabbit hole and buying the Beragara HMR Pro, new scope, Seekins base and rings and 3k later I'm almost all set up for the Bergara. Have done a lot of pistol IDPA and shotgun shoots but no PSR or distance rifle. I want to get into this as it's an area I don't know a lot about.

Feedback Score
    This initial class is a Creekside firing range in NW Georgia June 19th and 20th. Basics of long distance shooting, wind, ballistics, data for rifle and shooting positions. Teaching about set up for you and your rifle. Classroom and range both days. Limited to 15 people. 9 hours each day. Fee is $300 Shooting at small targets out to 600 yards

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, you want quality ammo for your course. FGGM is a solid choice. You can get for a $1 a round and some very nice Hornady for around $1.25 a round. I'd buy a box of each and see what the gun likes better then buy a case of 200 for your match. We like 175's for a Bolt gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"