Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Precision Rifle for $1000~?

Feedback Score

Best Precision Rifle for $1000~?

I've been looking and researching. Interested in the new 6.5 Creedmoor rifles like the Ruger and Savage, but don't know if it's better than the other rounhttps://19216811.cam/ https://1921681001.id/
    ds at the price range, any help?
    Last edited by MatiasMyles; 05-21-20 at 02:54.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Bergara HMR or Tikka CTR are both better options than the Ruger or savage.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Bergara HMR or Tikka CTR are both better options than the Ruger or savage.
    Yup. I’m partial to the Tikka CTR 6.5CM. Extremely smooth bolt throw/operation and mine shoots under 1 MOA at 100 without really trying.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-20-20 at 11:23.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We have a bergara in 300 WM, and a buddy has one in .308. Both have a great feeling bolt throw... like the surfaces are very hard with no binding/sticking.

The HMRs come packed with features for under $1000. I've not yet messed with a Tikka.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Another vote for either a Bergara HMR or Tikka. Both are shooters out of the box and much better values for the money than the Ruger or Savage offerings.

The Bergara will fit in Remington 700 inlet chassis and stocks, and takes Rem 700 triggers (thought the HMR trigger is already good), so it's a little easier to upgrade if you decide to go that route. And those upgrades will transfer to a custom action should you really get bit hard by the precision rifle bug.

The Tikka is a little more limited in the way of aftermarket stocks, but not as much as a few years ago. The Tikka trigger is good, no need for an aftermarket there.

Can't really go wrong with either.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    The VAST Rem 700 aftermarket is a blessing and a curse. If someone's spending less than $1k on the rifle, that means the likely don't have the time, interest or patience to experiment with all the crap if they wish to put a little bit more money into it down the road.

Been around both Tikkas and Bergaras and like the Tikka T3x CTR better as an out of the box gun. The stocks on both feel cheap and are a wash. The CTR receiver has pic rail on the top while the Bergara needs a base of some sort before rings/mount can be added. If more is desired later, slap a KRG Bravo on it (or if the user knows his/her flavor of Manners or chassis by then, they exist too). I know that Bergara is no slouch in the barrel market but also like that the Tikka barrels come off the same line as the Sako TRG's.

If one could, the Tikka Tac A1 (while more expensive) is a whole lot farther ahead of the curve for just a little more money. $1600-1700 for a Tikka in a solid chassis that is probably the last stop as the best out-of-the-box tactical precision rifle currently in production before stepping off at either the legacy Sako TRG's or AI AT's in the mid-low $3000's. The Tac A1 and sourcing a good used AI AE are values with minimal risk in the game
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 05-20-20 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I know two guys with the Bergara HMR in 6.5 that are lasers. Both tapped the mile as well.

Features of HMR blow me away for $1k gun.
    Threaded barrel
    Detachable box mag
    Good to Great trigger
    Good stock with Adjustments
    Smooth bolt and on and on

Tikka makes quality stuff too, I just don’t know the line up that well. My only gripe with Tikka is proprietary mags.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-20-20 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    I've been looking at precision rifles with PRS in mind. With the shorter barrel life of the 6mm cartridges, is there any issues with certain brands when it comes time to get a new barrel?

I've narrowed it down to either Bergara or Howa. Tikka is very attractive but the expensive proprietary mags isn't.

Feedback Score
    I've shot PRS for years, and for under $1k, the Bergara is hard to beat.

As for caliber, I currently run a 6x47 Lapua and 6 Creedmoor, and i really like the 6mm caliber. If you plan on shooting a lot of PRS competitions, you won't regret shooting 6mm. There is a reason the top shooters all shoot 6mm, but there are a lot of options to choose from (6 Creed, 6 Dasher, 6XC, 6x47 Lapua, etc). 6 Creed is the best if you don't reload and want decent factory ammo (Prime or Hornady Precision Match).

Getting a new barrel isn't a big deal, and there are a lot of good barrel manufacturers out there. I've had good luck with Hawk Hill, Barlein, Proof Research, but there are other options. Proof makes pre-fit barrels that can screw right in to certain actions, if you want to go that route.

As for Tikka, i really like the Tikka actions alot, and you can get a cheap tikka donor rifle, take the action out, and put it in a good chassis with aftermarket barrel, and you won't be into your "custom" gun very much $. But if you want a factory precision rifle for $1k, I agree that the Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic option.

Feedback Score
    Throw the Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo and you have one heck of a rifle for the cost. No proprietary mags then too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast