Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Precision Rifle for $1000~?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Do the Bergaras use R700 bottom metal? I think they use AI pattern mags, that correct? I’m thinking about a 6.5PRC in the near future. I like Tikka’s products I just will not buy a new Beretta product.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I've shot PRS for years, and for under $1k, the Bergara is hard to beat.

As for caliber, I currently run a 6x47 Lapua and 6 Creedmoor, and i really like the 6mm caliber. If you plan on shooting a lot of PRS competitions, you won't regret shooting 6mm. There is a reason the top shooters all shoot 6mm, but there are a lot of options to choose from (6 Creed, 6 Dasher, 6XC, 6x47 Lapua, etc). 6 Creed is the best if you don't reload and want decent factory ammo (Prime or Hornady Precision Match).

Getting a new barrel isn't a big deal, and there are a lot of good barrel manufacturers out there. I've had good luck with Hawk Hill, Barlein, Proof Research, but there are other options. Proof makes pre-fit barrels that can screw right in to certain actions, if you want to go that route.

As for Tikka, i really like the Tikka actions alot, and you can get a cheap tikka donor rifle, take the action out, and put it in a good chassis with aftermarket barrel, and you won't be into your "custom" gun very much $. But if you want a factory precision rifle for $1k, I agree that the Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic option.
    How far out can you stretch a 6cm if you push it with decent consistency. Ie I can shoot my 308 out to 1,000 yards pretty well but it starts to be questionable after that distance.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    How far out can you stretch a 6cm if you push it with decent consistency. Ie I can shoot my 308 out to 1,000 yards pretty well but it starts to be questionable after that distance.

PB
    With heavy high BC bullets you can stretch a 6mm Creedmoor out quite a ways, with less wind drift than most of the larger calibers. The new Berger 109 Hybrids have a published G7 BC of .292, and with a muzzle velocity of 3050 should still be supersonic at 1400 (sea level, 60 degrees F), not going transsonic until closer to 1500 yards.

In a full value 10 mph wind the same bullet would only drift about 1.8 mil at 1000 yards. KE at 1000 for the 109 Hybrid in that same example is ~ 650 ft lbs.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...php?t=863bc984

The biggest downside to a 6 Creedmoor is barrel life (under 2k rounds, often closer to 16-1700 depending on how hot you push them), but a lot of guys feel the lack of recoil and wind cheating are worth the price.

It's a great caliber for shooting targets at long range, and with some great factory ammo options is probably one of the better choices for someone wanting to get into PRS type competitive shooting.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 05-24-20 at 12:38.

Feedback Score

PB
    In some of the PRS matches i've shot, we were engaging targets at 1,800 yards. I made multiple hits with the 6mm, but they can be very hard to see impacts at that distance, so those targets almost always have flashers that light up on impact. With any caliber, wind is the biggest factor at distance, but the match 6mm bullets have a very high BC and are much flatter shooting than the .308. To give you an idea, my drop at 1,000 yards with my 6mm is 213"/5.9mils and with my 308, my drop is 417"/11.5mils.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    With heavy high BC bullets you can stretch a 6mm Creedmoor out quite a ways, with less wind drift than most of the larger calibers. The new Berger 109 Hybrids have a published G7 BC of .292, and with a muzzle velocity of 3050 should still be supersonic at 1400 (sea level, 60 degrees F), not going transsonic until closer to 1500 yards.

In a full value 10 mph wind the same bullet would only drift about 1.8 mil at 1000 yards. KE at 1000 for the 109 Hybrid in that same example is ~ 650 ft lbs.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...php?t=863bc984

The two biggest downsides to a 6 Creedmoor is barrel life (under 2k rounds, often closer to 16-1700 depending on how hot you push them), but a lot of guys feel the lack of recoil and wind cheating are worth the price.

It's a great caliber for shooting targets at long range, and with some great factory ammo options is probably one of the better choices for someone wanting to get into PRS type competitive shooting.
    This x1000

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    In some of the PRS matches i've shot, we were engaging targets at 1,800 yards. I made multiple hits with the 6mm, but they can be very hard to see impacts at that distance, so those targets almost always have flashers that light up on impact. With any caliber, wind is the biggest factor at distance, but the match 6mm bullets have a very high BC and are much flatter shooting than the .308. To give you an idea, my drop at 1,000 yards with my 6mm is 213"/5.9mils and with my 308, my drop is 417"/11.5mils.
    My 6.5CM has impressed me, so I don't doubt the 6 is GTG as well. Thanks for sharing.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    My 6.5CM has impressed me, so I don't doubt the 6 is GTG as well. Thanks for sharing.

PB
    6.5 CM is an awesome round, and probably a better "all around" caliber if you want to shoot long range and also hunt with it. I've taken 2 elk at 600-700 yards with a 6.5, but i wouldn't feel comfortable shooting an elk with a 6mm. There are also a LOT of good factory rounds available for 6.5 CM, which is a big plus if you don't reload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another vote for the Tikka CTR in a KRG Bravo chassis.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    6.5 CM is an awesome round, and probably a better "all around" caliber if you want to shoot long range and also hunt with it. I've taken 2 elk at 600-700 yards with a 6.5, but i wouldn't feel comfortable shooting an elk with a 6mm. There are also a LOT of good factory rounds available for 6.5 CM, which is a big plus if you don't reload.
    Not to derail too much but what bullet did you use in the 6.5 to take the elk? I’m debating on what round I want to go with for mine.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-25-20 at 07:56.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Also, to add to the thread, I sold off the CTR stock and mags and dropped it into a MDT LSS XL Gen 2 chasis with folding stock that comes in at 11.85 lbs loaded with a 10rd mag (10.85 lbs unloaded)...for reference, the stock configuration unloaded was 9.5 lbs unloaded. So I added a whole lot of functionality for a little more than a pound. If you buy smart and save a little more, you can do this for a little over the $1k mark (rifle/chassis without scope came in at $1325 for me)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast