Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPVO VS AGOG 3.5x35

Feedback Score

LPVO VS AGOG 3.5x35

Man I am really trying to get on board with the LPVO movement.

I currently have the LCD ACOG 3.5x35 mounted on my FN 15 DMR. My intent with that rifle is to shoot minute of man out to maybe 400 yards.

Seems that ACOG does that very well.

I cannot find any LPVO that would trump the ACOG.

Opinions? Comments?

I love the ACOG.
    Fire in the Hole

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I can’t answer this from experience. You may have already seen them, but the do-all carbine sticky in the main forum discusses this a bit, and I think docsherm’s old thread (recent comments) in the custom build forum also mentioned.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I’m in the same boat.....

Honestly, I think I’m staying with the ACOG and adding RMR to them. It gives me magnification to PID and the ability to run a dot for closer engagements. On top of all that, the 3.5x35 LED has roughly 12,000 hours of battery life, it’s daylight bright, and has a very usable reticle if batteries can’t be had.

Quote Originally Posted by army_eod View Post

I currently have the LCD ACOG 3.5x35 mounted on my FN 15 DMR. My intent with that rifle is to shoot minute of man out to maybe 400 yards.

Opinions? Comments?

I love the ACOG.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    The ACOG/RMR intrigues me but other than weight, I’m not sure what I’d be giving up with a LPVO and piggyback RMR. The RMR is a redundant/backup 1x sighting system that can be used passively under NOD’s and I have 4.5x more on the top end with my NX8. The difference is somewhere in the ballpark of 8 oz. Not a deal breaker IMO.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    For 0-400 yds using 77gr ammo, I like a 12.5” Hodge barreled upper. My primary optic would be my 16.9 oz, 2nd FFP, 1-6X K16i LPV (G4b reticle) in a Badger 1.930" mount. For *my* corrected right eye's vision, I want/need 6X magnification, want a generous eye box, large FOV, and an optic that has an adjustable diopter so I can focus and sharpen the reticle to my eye. Remember, the reticle style you choose is a critical piece of the puzzle and a scope with too thick of a reticle at 300-400 yds is less than ideal, the same can also be said about a reticle that is to thin, or a dot that is not bright enough in bright conditions. My secondary/back up and for mainly under 25yd optic would be a Holosun 509T (closed emitter) on a 1.9 height, in the 35* degree position, Arisaka offset mount, coming off the rear of the hand guard, not the scope mount or tube. The fit is perfect, tucked in as far as possible and yet with a full window sight picture. It's very quick for me with very little rotation needed, and with both optics being very close to the same height over the bore, no head adjustment is needed.

https://youtu.be/hScItyXGrLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSh3Ui44osU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gasIMqyQmAg
    Last edited by Biggy; 05-24-20 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Opinions? Comments?

I love the ACOG.
    ACOG is fine for that, and you already have it. Inside 25 yards, and for better than just an IPSC 2/3 target, I prefer an LPVO by far.

Optics I have owned (chronologically):

ACOG TA31RCO
    ACOG TA11F
    ACOG TA44SG
    ACOG TA44SR
    Aimpoint Comp M4
    Aimpoint T1
    Eotech EXPS 3-0 and G33
    Aimpoint T2
    Aimpoint T2+G33
    Trijicon VCOG
    Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC-2
    Kahles K16i
    Leupold MK6
    Kahles K16i
    Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC-2
    Nightforce NX8

I may have jumbled the order a bit, but that's my personal optics evolution across the M4 platform ranging from a 20" A4 type rifle to a 14.5" pinned rifle to an SR25 ACC MLOK, to currently a 14.5 and 11.5 SBR. The NX8 just does the job better than anything else I've tried, for me. There were other K16's in there, too, I think, maybe. I kept trying to like it "because I should". Nope.
    Last edited by WS6; 05-21-20 at 06:52.

Feedback Score
    I can't see any reason to go with an ACOG over any of numerous good LPVO's out there now. I thought about getting an ACOG but then decided to order the GENIII Razor 1-10. Cant see any reason to not go that route, it does everything in one package.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    ACOG has benefits such as durability, simplicity, and lightweight. Those are benefits for its primary user, military / soldiers who might not be gun people or room clearers.

But for more experienced folks, there are better optic options as have been laid out here. Does that make the choice of an ACOG foolish? Not really, if it fits your personal requirements, go for it. Others may choose other things for the same use, but that’s the great thing about guns & optics these days. Plenty of options.

I have a second NX8 1-8 on the way and I had sold a bunch of junk and had $2500 available to spend - so I could have bought nearly any modern optic but for my use I chose it.

Feedback Score
    If you aren’t concerned with super precise groups or as focused on shooting in close the acog is hard to beat. The 3.5 has much better eye relief than the 4x. But I’m a big fan of LPVO especially Trijicon offerings. I have two Accupoint 1-4’s and two accupower 1-8’s. I have a VCOG 1-6 and ordered a 1-8 vcog for work. My buddy ordered a 1-8 vcog for his work gun too. You could run an offset dot or irons if you need something in close. I run fiber inserts in my offset irons for 3gun.

Feedback Score

Opinions? Comments?

I love the ACOG.
    Have you shot your ACOG side by side with a good LPVO at multiple distances? Run CQB to long range drills with both?

If you really want to see why everyone is running LPVOs these days, I would suggest shooting a myriad of drills with the LPVO close up CQB on 1x, out to extended ranges at 8x and compare it to the same drills with your ACOG. That is where you will really see the benefits of a good LPVO. You basically get an almost red dot like optic on 1x, with the ability to PID and make more precise shots at distance with 6, 8, or 10x depending on the optic.

If i could only have 1 rifle to do it all, it would absolutely have a LPVO. If you have the $, the NF NX8 1-8 or Vortex Rzr 1-10 would be my top choices. For a less expensive option, i really like the PA Platinum 1-8 with ACSS reticle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast