Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LPVO VS AGOG 3.5x35

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I really dont understand why this is such a hot topic lately. The ACOG + top mounted RDS has been found lacking. If you want more info look back to the 2000's or even further to understand why the concept was generally dropped. Whats old is new:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    Have you shot your ACOG side by side with a good LPVO at multiple distances? Run CQB to long range drills with both?

If you really want to see why everyone is running LPVOs these days, I would suggest shooting a myriad of drills with the LPVO close up CQB on 1x, out to extended ranges at 8x and compare it to the same drills with your ACOG. That is where you will really see the benefits of a good LPVO. You basically get an almost red dot like optic on 1x, with the ability to PID and make more precise shots at distance with 6, 8, or 10x depending on the optic.

If i could only have 1 rifle to do it all, it would absolutely have a LPVO. If you have the $, the NF NX8 1-8 or Vortex Rzr 1-10 would be my top choices. For a less expensive option, i really like the PA Platinum 1-8 with ACSS reticle.
    Context is what's missing in this discussion. Most here are not kicking doors, serving warrants, providing perimeter security/overwatch or clearing rooms. The fantasy that surrounds those actions is precisely what drives people to buy all the "go fast" gear. LPVO's are excellent optics for specific roles/tasks, and that list of role/tasks does not include everything or everyone's needs.

The weight savings, overall size, simplicity, and unsurpassed durability of the ACOG line are all excellent attributes. Comparing the TA11 3.5x35 to a current LPVO offering, the weight savings isn't huge in some cases. The reduced size is significant, and the simplicity and durability are superior. To be fair all ACOG's are not created equal. The classic TA31 4x32 is what gives all ACOG optics a bad reputation with it's very short eye relief. The TA11 in question has excellent eye relief. With the fibre optic(or LED) illuminated reticle the ACOG can be shot just as fast as a red dot sight, so long as you practice and put the time in. NO, ACOG's are not as capable at distance when compared to LPVO's, however that is entirely dependent on what level of performance the user requires. This is but one example of context as it relates to the user's needs.

It sounds like the OP is getting satisfactory results with his TA11. If the OP has no need for greater precision and/or isn't willing to accept the negatives of an LPVO(weight, cost, durability, complexity)then I say stick with the ACOG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XleEtjl5DA
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 05-29-20 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    No problem. Just sold the ACOG and will mount my Weaver Tactical 3-15 EMDR.
    Fire in the Hole

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own multiple of both. I love me some 3.5X35 ACOGs for all the reasons already stated. Out to 400 yards minute of bad guy, hard to beat its simplicity. Offset a RDS, and your GTG. However, the range of LPVO out there today for a decent price or same price of an ACOG are very impressive. I dont think you need one unless you just want to play. As we often do. Play on Player!

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
    No problem. Just sold the ACOG and will mount my Weaver Tactical 3-15 EMDR.
    Not exactly a LPVO, but could be fun out to 800 or so.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    LPVOs and ACOGs both have their pros and cons. I still like the ACOG (TA11 model), its generally lighter than most LPVOs, durable, has a good FoV, generous eye relief and a very forgiving eye box. The big downside is at CQB distances, its not as fast as an LPVO, but beyond that, without having to make magnification adjustments, it can spot targets accurately and fast from 50-400.

Feedback Score
    Change 1. I am waiting for a new Optika6 1-6 to arrive. That will be the optic for my DMR.
    Fire in the Hole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12