Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherrybalmz Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Would I really notice if one good lube was better than the other? Probably not. If it works it works.

Currently I use ALG go juice (thier little single serve packets are super convenient, I put them in the pistol grip) I also use the red Lucas stuff. Really just depends what bottle is laying around. Neither gum up, but wipe clean.

What I do notice is lubes that are junk. Rand CLP was the worst I ever used. Gummed right up and stopped firing pins from moving. Second was froglube when that was all the rage, nope not for me.

Why really makes a good lube?, applying it often and applying plenty of it. I do this with both the ALG and Lucas. They both work. They both don’t gum and both wipe clean.

Feedback Score
    I use it on both my rifles and my pistols, has been rock solid so far. Stays in place and does not migrate or dry out quickly. I was initially disappointed in the bottle sizes but a little bit actually does go a long way.

My competition pistol went over 1000 rounds before i cleaned it and was problem free the whole time. I am now a firm believer in grease vs oil, and have an additional bottle of ALG very thin grease as well.

Modern lubricants are better, though the marketing BS is obviously a problem (FireClean anyone?). I also used Lubriplate SFL-0 and that was by far the best value for grease you will ever find. I unfortunately lost my lifetime supply in a recent move.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    It is my favorite gun lube, and used as directed , a little of it does go a pretty long way. But IMHO, value wise, it’s not the best out there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a great article on gun oils and how not to get taken by the "snake oil" salesmen.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006...brication-101/
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Here is a great article on gun oils and how not to get taken by the "snake oil" salesmen.

I’ve been using the crap out of his recommendations for the past few years. Cheap, non-toxic, works, comes in proper volumes for people that shoot more than once a year. I’m only following these lube threads because I finally had to order some more (ran out because I kept forgetting to order) and it has not arrived yet, so I need pretty much any non-toxic lube at this point. So now I need to swing by PSA and buy something for the interim.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve been using the crap out of his recommendations for the past few years. Cheap, non-toxic, works, comes in proper volumes for people that shoot more than once a year. I’m only following these lube threads because I finally had to order some more (ran out because I kept forgetting to order) and it has not arrived yet, so I need pretty much any non-toxic lube at this point. So now I need to swing by PSA and buy something for the interim.

I found this statement in the article to be revealing if not profound:
    What about “miracle products”?
    Let’s be clear: there are no “new”, “revolutionary” lubricant products made for firearms. That’s a flat statement, and it’s intended to be. All of the lubricants, bases, and additives of suitable use are already well known to the lubricant industry. Specific combinations might be unique, but it’s all been tried before – if not necessarily on guns.
    There are several such products on the market right now that are simply a well-known boundary additive in a light carrier; at least one of them is a chlorinated ester! These things have been around a long time, and unless you didn’t know better the products using them would indeed seem to be “revolutionary.” Just remember: any new gun lube is going to be made up of readily available components, perhaps blended especially for the requirement, but will not be a “miracle”.
    Last edited by TexHill; 05-25-20 at 10:42.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the link, very good read!...sounds alot like what CB is claiming and also comes in NLGI #0 grease.

Come to think of it...a white, no odor NLGI #0 grease would make for a great base to add a red color and cherry odor....hmmmm.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    So this was what I was looking for in the article and on lubrikit...I may have missed it but it IS non-toxic, correct? I assumed it was since it's "food grade" but wasn't sure.

I'm obviously not married to the idea of using CB...but I am sold on the idea of using a light grease for general lubrication and having an oil for high round count days when the gun gets sluggish (adding oil vs. breaking the gun down to re-apply grease). If Lubriplate works just as well AND it's cheaper, then I'm in. I was also thinking of trying the Slip EWG since it's supposedly non-toxic, an NLGI #1 grease and it's not very expensive at ~$17 for the 4oz jar

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Good read. Thanks for sharing that.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Great article

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast