Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherrybalmz Gun Lube

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Reading different things on the CB site, I found it interesting they gave 40 year old LSA praise for it's lubing and staying power.
    Maybe that is because LSA was developed by real lubrication engineers to meet a known condition, the M16. LSA contains a synthetic lubricant, held in partial suspension by lithium grease, an anti-corrosion agent, and an anti-rust agent. LSA is not a high temperature grease. It is a low temperature grease, meaning it releases the oil at the first shot rather than gets slung all throughout the interior of the rifle and eventually melts everywhere. LSA is not super snake oil invented, purchased in bulk and added to something in someone's garage. It is only a lubricant. It is cheap and still available on line.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Maybe that is because LSA was developed by real lubrication engineers to meet a known condition, the M16. LSA contains a synthetic lubricant, held in partial suspension by lithium grease, an anti-corrosion agent, and an anti-rust agent. LSA is not a high temperature grease. It is a low temperature grease, meaning it releases the oil at the first shot rather than gets slung all throughout the interior of the rifle and eventually melts everywhere. LSA is not super snake oil invented, purchased in bulk and added to something in someone's garage. It is only a lubricant. It is cheap and still available on line.
    LSA is still the go-to for machineguns in the .mil.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    If CLP was good enough for the LERPs in the Mekong in '69, it's good enough for me.
    I could write a book with your quotes, but no one would believe anyone actually said that.

Anyways, we've been using Cherry Balmz at work on our suppressed guns, it works fine. I use CLP or Wilson Ultima Lube with similar results.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
    This thread is obviously going where every lube thread goes
    It's been a while. I do miss the NANO LUBE thread.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I know the guys at SOTAR love it and recommend it over anything else. I would like to give it a try one of these days but I’ve been more than happy with fireclean and both ALG offerings.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several months ago I bought the CherryBlamz five bottle set all five for the price of two. https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-...e-price-of-two

Here's what I think:

1) I was disappointed in the size of the bottles. They were all .5oz. Thinking they were sample sizes I checked the website to see what size the individual bottles were. This was an effort in futility as I could find no indication of quantity in the bottles on the website. I went so far as to add individual bottles to my cart and when I went to checkout there was no indication of bottle size. To me this is deceptive.

2) Price when viewed in relationship to amount of lube received seemed overly high. The CherryBalmz run about $17.00 a pop for .5 oz. Taking a look at all the lubes sitting on my bench I made a list and went online to see what quantity of those lubes I could get for less than $20.00:

MiliTech-1 - 4oz (a 2oz bottle rides in my range bag for field use)
    Umbrella Unicorn Lube - 2oz (I know, I know, I like the logo, okay?)
    ALG Go Juice - 4oz
    EWL - 4oz
    FireClean - 2oz
    FrogLube - 4oz (don't have any but it's popular so I looked it up)
    RemOil - 9,100 gallons (that's a semi trailer's worth with $5.00 left over - joking)

Although the CherryBalmz website emphasizes how little need be used, very few of these products advocate dipping the firearms in them. By-and-large, my thought is that other well-known products give you 4 to 8 times the amount of product for a comparative price.

3) Does it work? Well, yes, it does work and it seems to stay in place pretty good. I really don't have any opinion on 'works better than..' I have not used the Bolt Balm or Winter Balm.The one product I used that I could say improved performance of a pistol was Rimfire Remedy. I have a group of .22 training pistols, among them a dedicated Glock trainer using an Advantage Arms Conversion on a Gen1 G22 frame. When I take the older grand kids shooting this is the pistol that I get tired of clearing the FTF's or FTE's they have with that pistol. I used the Rimfire Remedy on that pistol and went through about 200 relatively trouble-free rounds. I clean the .22's after each use if more than 100 rounds are fired, some I'm pretty sure the product improved this pistol's function.

4) Marketing. I found this response in the FAQ section amusing in the context of selling a product with leggy red-head as the centerpiece of their logo: The reason we went with CherryBalmz is largely because we have little appreciation for the hype that seems so unfortunately common in the industry. It's been our experience that the most competent and professional people put forth little hype or ego - they're called Quiet Professionals for a reason. It's also been our experience that those hyping themselves the loudest are often the least...effective. And while it's a balancing act to market an excellent product while holding the values of quiet professionalism, we just don't feel the need to hype our product with an uber-tactical name to try to make it sound better. The science and engineering stands on its own. The grease feels like a balm and has that effect on healing finicky guns, while smelling like cherry. That's where the name comes from.

Bottom line is most all companies hype their products.

5) Final thoughts. I'm sure they know about lubes. I'm sure the products work. Whether 'better than...' is up for grabs. I think there are better values out there. I will probably kepp using Rimfire Remedy if the results with the Advantage Arms Conversion continue.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I'm thinkin' I should retry some LSA. I remember using it back in the 80's, but dont remember how it did. It sound like some good lube.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    26Inf: for that $17 that buys you 0.5 ounces of Cherrybalmz, you could get a PINT of CLP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    26Inf: for that $17 that buys you 0.5 ounces of Cherrybalmz, you could get a PINT of CLP.
    I didn't include CLP because I haven't used it in years and have none on my bench. Besides that, there are numerous CLP's to choose from

Break Free® CLP® is the gold standard solution requiring only one step to clean, lubricate and protect your firearm. Originally developed for the U.S. Military and proven in the world’s most extreme conditions.

or

G96 Synthetic CLP Gun Oil has been approved by the U.S. Army for the 21st Century – Mil Spec MIL-PRF-63460F (Type A).

or

RADCOLUBE® CLP (GUN OIL) MIL-PRF-63460F TY: A

or

Original Gun Oil CLP Quickly Cleans, Lubricates and Protects Firearms - Experience Superior Protection Against Rust and Corrosion in Extreme Environments While Enhancing Your Firearms Performance.

and so on....

Please don't attach any snarkiness, I'm just bored..
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Or $17 will buy at least a half gallon of Mobil 1, as opposed to a half ounce of Cherrybalmz.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 05-22-20 at 18:58.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast