Thread: Stock Choice - UBR Gen 2 vs SL-S

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Stock Choice - UBR Gen 2 vs SL-S

This will be on a 308 AR, but I’m not sure that is specifically relevant.
    I have the SL-S on two 5.56 AR’s and love it. I had planned on using the UBR Gen 2 partially to balance out rear weight with a 20” barrel, but also to keep a consistent cheek weld. Initially, it also seemed like the receiver extension-receiver connection would be sturdier; not sure about that, though.

Two questions:
    Subjectively, if you have used both, which do you prefer?
    Are there reasons (beside storage) that make the UBR 2 objectively “better” in specific ways?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I've used both on a 18" 556 Precision build...started with the SL-S, now has the UBR 2. I'm not sure which I actually prefer at this point. The SL-S offered a better cheek weld from a standpoint of amount of stock against my face. UBR offers a cheek weld that isn't interrupted but has less contact. Both are heavier than many other stocks available. SL-S seemed about as heavy as the UBR. I removed the storage compartment from the UBR. I'm not sure the UBR is any more sturdy than a standard receiver extension. An A1/A2 stock is probably more sturdy.

Considerations: To me, if this is a precision gun, and one that will be predominantly shot from the bench or prone, then I would get a PRS stock, as it offers more refinements.

If it's to be a mobile weapon, to used for hunting, or dynamic precision shooting, I'd want the UBR/SL-S, or some other stock that was even lighter.

Is storage an issue? Depends on what your using the rifle for and duration of mission/activity. Do you need spare batteries, a spare bolt, skittles?

A consideration that didn't impact me was the heavier recoil of a 308.
    Last edited by nightchief; 05-22-20 at 10:27. Reason: Engish...its always English

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    It's my understanding that the UBR is supposed to be one of the most durable configurations possible. Looking at the "lock up" of the stock and receiver extension, I can believe that. If you are a nose to the charging handle guy, you may like the PRS better. When I spoke to Magpul, I recall them stating that the rifle receiver extension did better in durability and reliability tests than carbine receiver extensions.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I prefer the UBR 2 over the SLS for precision shooting. As a bonus the UBR 2 is A5 length, and should be able to run an Armalite 308 spring with an Armalite 308 carbine (H3) buffer.