Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Primer strike from chambering

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The extractor has to snap over the rim on every loaded round in AR platforms, don't see how it would make a difference.
    Pistols are different the breach face is cut to allow the round to slide up and in vs snapping over the rim. Closing the slide on a chambered round was a good way to compromise a German SIG extractor.
    Last edited by LMT/556; 05-30-20 at 10:49. Reason: speeling

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    The extractor has to snap over the rim on every loaded round in AR platforms, don't see how it would make a difference.
    Pistols are different the beach face is cut to allow the round to slide up amnd in vs snapping over the rim. Closing the slide on a chambered round was a good way to compromise a german SIG extractor.
    Maybe on Stoner action, stripping a round out of the magazine slows the bolt down enough to avoid extractor stress. Whereas single hand feeding lets the bolt hammer the case head too fast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I've fired once-dimpled 5.56 with no ill effects. Interesting that 26Inf can duplicate the problem by a dozen or so chamberings.
    The items I posted weren't my personal experiences. Found from different sources several years ago. The one from 1965 probably isn't relevant as there have been primer changes.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-30-20 at 11:38.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Maybe on Stoner action, stripping a round out of the magazine slows the bolt down enough to avoid extractor stress. Whereas single hand feeding lets the bolt hammer the case head too fast.
    I don't know enough to say that isn't true. However, service rifle competitors single load 30 rounds during the National Match Course, many of them use either a bob-sled/single round follower or direct load into the chamber - extractor breakage hasn't been a problem with the guys I shoot with. (maybe I should say 'shot with' since COVID)
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I don't know enough to say that isn't true. However, service rifle competitors single load 30 rounds during the National Match Course, many of them use either a bob-sled/single round follower or direct load into the chamber - extractor breakage hasn't been a problem with the guys I shoot with. (maybe I should say 'shot with' since COVID)
    Agreed. National Match guy I know uses a sled, never noted any ill effects either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    ... From 1965: A soldier in the 82nd, during the operations in the Dominican Republic, chambered a round while preparing for guard duty that had been chambered and ejected several times. His weapon discharged, though it was on "SAFE" according to witnesses at the scene. The soldier was negligent about where his weapon was pointed and the round killed a local child.

The soldier was court-martialed and acquitted. Investigators were able to repeatedly duplicate the incident by chambering a round from the magazine several times. They discovered that this malfunction, firing when a round was chambered, could be duplicated at around 10-15 chamberings. They also found that at about 10-15 chamberings, many rounds did the opposite and the primers became desensitized enough that the rounds would not fire...
    I had no had no idea the (knowledge of) the problem went back so far.

Ironically I served in LE with a guy who jumped into DR with the 82nd. He said he could hear all the shooting on the ground and the last thing he wanted to do was land in the middle of it. Great guy...

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Once chambered always goes to training pile in Go To guns....

Even in my 1911s and Glocks where set back is more prevalent #cheapinsurance
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Part of our routine at the beginning of day shift when removing AR from it's overnight safe in the office was to check the first couple rounds of each mag and if dimpled, were to put into the "range" bucket and replace with new round.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234