Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primer strike from chambering

Feedback Score

multi strike dimples

With a Ranger thumbnail, I'm surprised. This is a normal. Do some research.
    looking closely one can see multi strike dimples. this IS not dangerous but in soft commercial primers it can damage the compound or anvil resulting in a FTF.
    never use training/range rounds for duty. When you rotate mags and do ammo check, dimpled rounds go to training stock to confirm zero with duty loads.
    Last edited by XUSMICO; 05-26-20 at 08:26. Reason: additional info

Feedback Score
    No Sir, the reason for NOT dropping the BCG on a chambered cartage in any gun is it creates sever stress on the extractor and case rim. increasing the chance for life ending failure. This is true for all semi/full auto guns, closed bolt guns, except the M9. They have a ultra secret unicorn scalloped extractor. This problem is compounded with MIM extractors. Want to ruin an extractor keep dropping it on a chambered round.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by XUSMICO View Post
    No Sir, the reason for NOT dropping the BCG on a chambered cartage in any gun is it creates sever stress on the extractor and case rim. increasing the chance for life ending failure. This is true for all semi/full auto guns, closed bolt guns, except the M9. They have a ultra secret unicorn scalloped extractor. This problem is compounded with MIM extractors. Want to ruin an extractor keep dropping it on a chambered round.
    On an AR, the extractor has to snap over the case rim one way or another. The rim can't slip under it like a Glock or 1911 for example. It's not like the AR bolt can snap over the round in mid feed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I am not so sure. In the AR15, M1, M1 Carbine and M14 the extractor still has to override the rim of the cartridge. In the Mauser type bolt actions the cartridge groove can slip up into the extractor as it is stripped from the magazine, but this is impossible with the other bolts. In any event there is a cushioning effect as the bolt strips the cartridge from the feeding device and chambers the round. That cushioning effect is missing entirely when the bolt is allowed to slam down onto a chambered round.
    Last edited by mlberry; 05-26-20 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There might be some cushioning effect from having to compress the ejector.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 05-27-20 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So we went from a dimpled primer upon loading to don't pop a round into the chamber and hit the bolt catch, wtf?

This will happen regardless if you release the bolt catch or pull the charge handle to the rear and release. If you are out playing and decide to ease and ride the charge handle forward and then bump the FA to get chambering and bolt lock so the zombies don't hear it, sure it won't occur. I guess you should also do a PSA at all of the High Power matches to not hit the bolt catch when single loading.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    I am not so sure. In the AR15, M1, M1 Carbine and M14 the extractor still has to override the rim of the cartridge. In the Mauser type bolt actions the cartridge groove can slip up into the extractor as it is stripped from the magazine, but this is impossible with the other bolts. In any event there is a cushioning effect as the bolt strips the cartridge from the feeding device and chambers the round. That cushioning effect is missing entirely when the bolt is allowed to slam down onto a chambered round.
    This is why most if not all modern "Mauser" style bolts have the extractor beveled at the base to allow single loading if required and not stress the extractor.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    And, as an aside, the M1903 Springfield rifle, was designed with a magazine cut off to facilitate loading a single round. When done that way the extractor would have to override the cartridge until it could snap down into the groove. In fact the theory was that the rifle would be normally fired single shot with the loaded magazine being held in reserve. It didn't work out that way from the start and firing from the magazine became the norm.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    And, as an aside, the M1903 Springfield rifle, was designed with a magazine cut off to facilitate loading a single round. When done that way the extractor would have to override the cartridge until it could snap down into the groove. In fact the theory was that the rifle would be normally fired single shot with the loaded magazine being held in reserve. It didn't work out that way from the start and firing from the magazine became the norm.
    The designers had to provide the brass the illusion that they could continue to micromanage riflemen down to the single round (frontstuffer style), since they still maintained the delusional fantasy of volley fire and drill and ceremony type maneuvering at the dawn of the age of the machinegun.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't every round that is cycled into the chamber get dimpled like this right before you pull the trigger? Why just the first round?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast