Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is the SIG Virtus worth the scratch?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,584
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is the SIG Virtus worth the scratch?

    A couple of years ago I had an MCX, it was "okay". I wasn't overly impressed. Thought the handguard was big as far as circumference.

    Looking at pics the Virtus appears to be more of the same (?). Yet it is only a little under $2K now, IF you can find one.

    Opinions?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    3,836
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is anything coming out of ExeTurd worth the scratch?
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    730
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    A couple of years ago I had an MCX, it was "okay". I wasn't overly impressed. Thought the handguard was big as far as circumference.

    Looking at pics the Virtus appears to be more of the same (?). Yet it is only a little under $2K now, IF you can find one.

    Opinions?
    Need to know what you didn't like.

    Difference from MCX to Virtus is:
    • much better FCG for much improved trigger pull and parts life
    • better bolt life via tapered bolt & matching receiver extension
    • pinned recoil spring retainer
    • improved charging handle to address failures of charging handle release levers
    • shorter top receiver rail and correspondingly longer handguard
    • tighter fitment between handguard and receiver for better handguard-mounted aiming device zero retention
    • change in lightening cuts to receiver (unsure what that's accomplished)
    • Cerakote paint job to cover rough dirt-retaining 6061 upper receiver anodizing finish
    • heavier profile barrels across the board with some suggestion accuracy has improved
    • improvement to gas adjustment switch to prevent fouling buildup that led to frozen switch
    • looser AK-like piston, with machined rings instead of AR15-bolt-type replaceable gas rings
    • 5.56 gas block moved a couple inches forward
    • overall weight increase of 1 pound. (Not sure where it all comes from. Some in the barrel for sure.)


    I have a gen 2 MCX pistol. I think the MCX/Virtus is most useful with either an 11.5" 5.56 barrel or short 6.75" or 9" .300blk barrel. Pistons seem to fare better with short barrels and the folding stock minimizes stowed size with less time required to deploy than a takedown weapon.
    Last edited by Aries144; 05-21-20 at 23:43.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    445
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really like mine. It addressed the shortcomings of the Gen 1 Guns. I personally sold my Gen 1 after I was on charging handle number 3 at 500 rounds. My new one has been perfect.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I really like mine. It addressed the shortcomings of the Gen 1 Guns. I personally sold my Gen 1 after I was on charging handle number 3 at 500 rounds. My new one has been perfect.
    Can you elaborate on the charging issue with the gen 1? Canít really find much online about it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    730
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric p View Post
    Can you elaborate on the charging issue with the gen 1? Canít really find much online about it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't experienced a failure yet, but can pass along a tidbit I picked up on another forum: Apparently the spring loaded ambi latches would fail in various ways. One user reported that he had to depress both sides to get the charging handle to unlatch so he could charge the weapon.

    The Virtus changed the charging handle in several ways.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    445
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    I haven't experienced a failure yet, but can pass along a tidbit I picked up on another forum: Apparently the spring loaded ambi latches would fail in various ways. One user reported that he had to depress both sides to get the charging handle to unlatch so he could charge the weapon.

    The Virtus changed the charging handle in several ways.
    That is the fashion in which mine failed. The MCX handle latches to the upper on both sides unlike an AR15. After a short while the left side latch stopped pulling open the right side latch far enough to unlatch. The right side latch always worked and I could use both latches simultaneously to pull the handle as well. I have two charging handles fail in this fashion is a short period of time.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 05-23-20 at 16:02.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    351
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    That is the fashion in which mine failed. The MCX handle latches to the upper on both sides unlike an AR15. After a short while the left side latch stopped pulling open the right side latch far enough to unlatch. The right side latch always worked and I could use both latches simultaneously to pull the handle as well. I have two charging handles fail in this fashion is a short period of time.
    I haven’t had one fail yet on my gen 1, but I’ll have to keep an eye on it. Has anyone tried an aftermarket charging handle?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    105
    Feedback Score
    0
    After acquiring several ARs over the past few years (including some 516s) I got an 11.5 Virtus in 5.56. Liked it so much I just added another with the 16 inch barrel in 5.56. Mine are very accurate and much softer shooting than the 516s. I have to say I like them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •