Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overblown handgun arguments...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Overblown handgun arguments...

I feel like having some fun. One thing I used to love to do but am now COMPLETELY over is arguing about which handgun is "best." The answer is Beretta 92 but that is beside the point. Let's talk about the overblown arguments people make to support their choice of handgun. No need to argue, this is all in good fun. I have many but I will start with one....

Remember these are not "stupid" arguments, they are just "overblown" or exaggerated, usually in the service of arguing for what you bought because only you can be right and every one else is dumb....

1. PARTS AVAILABILITY. This is a sure sign you bought a Glock or M&P. Suddenly your decision tree looks like and administrator f of a large city police agency. I am talking about a person who has bought a gun for self-defense and shoots it a good bit. I have been shooting very regularly since the mid 90s and I have broken a fair number of guns, but honestly, it never had any big impact on me. Unless you are shooting a vintage Walther P88 or something just totally off the wall you can get parts for it and frankly it won't take that long. I'm not saying this is no consideration, I'm just saying if you are mentioning it you are probably just bolstering a decision made for other reasons. You should have a back up gun anyway and if you are on this forum you probably have 8 backup guns.

Here is a summary of the first 7-8 pages of gems....

1. PARTS AVAILABILITY. This is a sure sign you bought a Glock or M&P. Suddenly your decision tree looks like and administrator f of a large city police agency. I am talking about a person who has bought a gun for self-defense and shoots it a good bit. I have been shooting very regularly since the mid 90s and I have broken a fair number of guns, but honestly, it never had any big impact on me. Unless you are shooting a vintage Walther P88 or something just totally off the wall you can get parts for it and frankly it won't take that long. I'm not saying this is no consideration, I'm just saying if you are mentioning it you are probably just bolstering a decision made for other reasons. You should have a back up gun anyway and if you are on this forum you probably have 8 backup guns.

2. FITS MY HAND BETTER/ This is a sure sign you should just buy a Glock but want to be different. This used to be a sure sign that you should buy a Beretta but you wanted something different.

3. Grip angle. Again, this is usually just a sign that you want something different or are just used to something diffrent.

4. Extreme clickbait mud test on youtube. Usually a single sample test with mixtures made on sight. Basically of zero value and frankly, who gives a Sh93? This is an outgrowth of 80s H&K advertising which was commandeered by Glock. ERMEGERD! THEY FROZE IT AND SHOT IT!

5. Thumb safties will get you killed, but safteyless lightweight triggers won’t. Apparently you trust yourself enough not to blow your balls off with a glock, but are incapable of training yourself to flick off a saftey. This is a sign of how much a person like’s their balls. Also, this is better argued as “carry what you are used to shooting.”

6. The 1911 is old! Therefore bad. This is hilarious because the Glock and its' copies are all pushing 40 and are variations on even older designs.

7. Ohh, it was picked by MEGAFORCE
    . This is way overblown. Another variation is “my local PD picked it.” Your local PD probably picked the gun because someone someone to a strip club. In fact, Glock founded their empire on that model.

8. The dude at the gun shop said. Oh Jesus Christ.

9. Those mags are $10 more!!! What if I need 400 mags? This is a sure sign you have a Glock, and if this was 1990 you had a Beretta. The price mags just isn’t a serious consideration these days unless you are seriously broke. If you buy a CZ P10 it is going to cost you about $15 more per mag. That sucks. But honestly, even if you buy 5 spare mags you are only looks at $75 difference. It’s overblown.

10. Magazine capacity arguments involving just a few rounds. I really don't think a Glock 17 holding two more rounds than a Glock 19 . These used to bexample) is significant or should be considered when choosing a handgun. 8 vs 15 is something to consider 13 vs 17....not so much.

11. Bore axis. we got it, you like Glocks.

12. RESET. Possibly the world's most overblown. I believe this got popular as dudes who worked at gun shops starting posting online. If you aren't actually shooting the guns then the minutiae of triggerometry become super important. Unless you have something truly terrible reset is wildly overblown.

13. I don't carry my [insert perceived expensive gun here] because if I have to shoot somebody with it, it will end up in an evidence locker. Unless you are talking bout a .45 Lugar believe me, the hold up with your gun will be the least of your expenses if your gun ends up in an evidence locker. Humerously, the only time my guns ended up in an evidence locker was when I left them at home and they got stolen.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

ARE there any other kind?

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    2. FITS MY HAND BETTER. This is a sure sign you should just buy a Glock but want to be different.

Feedback Score
    GRIP ANGLE:

I don’t see much of an issue switching from one gun to another. However, I tend to see this argument a lot with respect to design.
    =======
    What I tend to notice is from front sight height. Right off of the bat, I can tell if it is set up for Combat sighting or standard sight picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    3. NEEDS TO BE IN A CALIBER THATS STARTS WITH A 4...

This is provably false with modern defensive/duty ammo.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    That 1911s are still relevant.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That 5.7 is THE next best thing.

True story, knew a guy who shot and carried an FN fiveseven, (open carried of course, in a dirty wife beater, shorts and sandles, cuz he was that kinda operator, dontchaknow).

Swore it was gonna catch on, tried to get us all on the bandwagon, PMed me with articles and "ballistics testing data".

He was carrying a Kimber 10mm last time I saw him.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Glok functions 100% when pulled from a mud puddle....
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Unpopular opinion, but I've always thought that the "thumb safeties will get you killed" argument was dumb. If we can train to flip the safety on an AR on and off with every presentation, we can train to flip a thumb safety on a pistol.

Whenever I see people argue this, it just reads like regurgitation of Glock's marketing materials.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    That 1911s are still relevant.
    Word up! We have to get over the romance. Love the 1911 as a Sunday plinker, but it's not a carry gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast