Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overblown handgun arguments...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Unpopular opinion, but I've always thought that the "thumb safeties will get you killed" argument was dumb. If we can train to flip the safety on an AR on and off with every presentation, we can train to flip a thumb safety on a pistol.

Whenever I see people argue this, it just reads like regurgitation of Glock's marketing materials.
    To me, running a long gun isn't the same as public concealed carry. Thumb safety can and should be massively trained into the owner if that's the choice he makes. But I've seen the video of jewelry store guy not get a shot off due to the safety.

I honestly don't put 1/20th the pistol practice in that I should. No damned way do I practice enough to run a thumb safety gun. I get that it can be fine for others though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    To me, running a long gun isn't the same as public concealed carry. Thumb safety can and should be massively trained into the owner if that's the choice he makes. But I've seen the video of jewelry store guy not get a shot off due to the safety.

I honestly don't put 1/20th the pistol practice in that I should. No damned way do I practice enough to run a thumb safety gun. I get that it can be fine for others though.
    Fair point. Practice is a vital component.

I say this even though I've also switched to carrying DA/SA guns without safeties on them (and converted my Beretta 92A1 to be decock only)
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    “This new [gun or piece of gear] is going to be a game-changer.”

It can help, but at the end of the day, if you can reach the controls, practice will overshadow gear. This is especially true for new shooters and the better you get, the more gear improvements can make a more noticeable difference... but its not a “game-changer.”

Feedback Score
    HAS TO HAVE BEEN USED BY THE US (OR OTHER) MILITARY. This is,in large part, the Beretta 92, Glock 17/19, 1911, CZ 75 and all it's iterations, and SIG P226

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Word up! We have to get over the romance. Love the 1911 as a Sunday plinker, but it's not a carry gun.
    Blasphemer.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Word up! We have to get over the romance. Love the 1911 as a Sunday plinker, but it's not a carry gun.
    I was VERY sad when I finally accepted this. Having bought a NIB Series 70 Colt as my first handgun, owning other 1911's, then carrying one my first two years in the Corps, I very much loved the gun and could/can run the hell out of one.
    "But that was yesterday...and yesterday's gone"..as the old song says. I owned, and still love & always will, an M9...superbly reliable & accurate.
    But- in 2005 I made a conscious decision to go all Glock, and never looked back, nor regretted it.

As for the overblown handgun argument...I DESPISE hearing someone say "9mm is for pussies"..or some such crap about the 9mm...especially from some two box a year shooter who knows as much about guns/shooting as I do about Chinese math. The old crap about 9's & the BS about hitting someone in the thumb and knocking them down with a .45...will that shit EVER die? HOW does that crap keep spreading with the EVIDENCE we have & have had for decades now? Damn Im sick of hearing it.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 05-22-20 at 08:26.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Wink

"17 years of carry, down the drain..."

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    "The guy at the gun shop said...."

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    "I've been around guns my whole life."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Price of mags or gun. I can see if you are talking about a Wilson Combat or something similar, but in the grand scheme of things, putting a couple thousand rounds down that gun is going to cost you more than the difference between an M&P and a (fill in a costlier option like HK, SIG, Beretta, etc) whatever it is. Mags being cheaper is saving you like $10. Those paying $50 for HK mags let themselves get robbed.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast