Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Overblown handgun arguments...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

1. PARTS AVAILABILITY. This is a sure sign you bought a Glock or M&P. Suddenly your decision tree looks like and administrator f of a large city police agency. I am talking about a person who has bought a gun for self-defense and shoots it a good bit. I have been shooting very regularly since the mid 90s and I have broken a fair number of guns, but honestly, it never had any big impact on me. Unless you are shooting a vintage Walther P88 or something just totally off the wall you can get parts for it and frankly it won't take that long. I'm not saying this is no consideration, I'm just saying if you are mentioning it you are probably just bolstering a decision made for other reasons. You should have a back up gun anyway and if you are on this forum you probably have 8 backup guns.
    True!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Its useful for competition guns with super light hammer springs, maybe. Those will sometimes encounter a slightly harder primer, or maybe some filth, and get it on the second whack. Proper duty guns with accompanying springs? Probably not.
    It's almost always Russian ammo (which I do not buy anymore) or CCI Blazer (recently tried another case because it was a good price, am almost through it, have had about 3 duds) or guns with weak-ish ignition systems (Kel-tec) that sometimes fail to fire harder-primed ammo like Geco and S&B.

And .22 rimfire. Rimfire stinks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    2. FITS MY HAND BETTER. This is a sure sign you should just buy a Glock but want to be different.
    Came here to say this. It’s one thing to put a couple thousand rounds through a gun and come to a conclusion that it doesn’t work for you. It’s another thing entirely to make a purchasing decision based on nebulous “comfort” in a gun store (which is a different thing than literally not being able to reach controls), since gun store “feel” has almost nothing to do with how you’ll perform with the gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Debating "knock down power" of one pistol caliber vs another really makes my head hurt.
    I have a friend who has a scar above his left eye. He was shot by 380 in Buckhead (Atlanta). It knocked him down and bled pretty well but he immediately got back back up and other than a concussion and bleeding pretty good was totally fine. So knockdown power is probably over rated lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    HAS TO HAVE BEEN USED BY THE US (OR OTHER) MILITARY. This is,in large part, the Beretta 92, Glock 17/19, 1911, CZ 75 and all it's iterations, and SIG P226
    This is partially true. But on the other hand, If you buy a service sized pistol and NO Military or Dept uses it or even bothered to include it in a competition... That might be a clue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't carry my [insert perceived expensive gun here] because if I have to shoot somebody with it, it will end up in an evidence locker.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by raydoctor View Post
    I don't carry my [insert perceived expensive gun here] because if I have to shoot somebody with it, it will end up in an evidence locker.
    ****in A, insert a great 1911 is usually the verdict. I'll keep my Nighthawk in my safe and my RIA 1911 on my bed stand.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raydoctor View Post
    Dear God, I have a good friend like this. Has an STI but won't carry it but is about to throw down for a Barrett. Some people's kids...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I have a friend who has a scar above his left eye. He was shot by 380 in Buckhead (Atlanta). It knocked him down and bled pretty well but he immediately got back back up and other than a concussion and bleeding pretty good was totally fine. So knockdown power is probably over rated lol
    Damn! I used to work with a guy who got shot with a 380 in the back of the head. At the time he was a cab driver and all he remembers was picking up some "kids". Then woke up in a hospital

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Any and all discussions regarding 22lr pistols for defensive use.
    Andy

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast