Thread: Holster and Light for Gen 3 Glock 17

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Holster and Light for Gen 3 Glock 17

Good Morning

I just picked up a Gen 3 Glock 17 to replace an identical pistol which I passed to my youngest son.

The pistol will be used for bump-in-the night, travel, range use, and will be open carried.

I plan to purchase a Streamlight TLR-7 light and Safariland 7377 7TS (ALS) holster for it.

Any reason I should avoid this holster and light? Should I stick with the 63xx series like the one I use with my G19?

Thank you
    Andy

P.S. The pistol's serial number is MUHxxx (2009). I am very much looking forward to referring to it as "muh Glock", just not here on this site.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There have been various issues with the 7 series Safariland holsters. Numerous reports of them cracking, bad fit and some times they are susceptible to Heat/cold making them fit well then not. Our agency ditched them and went back to the 6 series.

The TLR-7 is a good light. Worry not.

Holster wise, they will fit into any Safariland light bearing 6000 series holster. There will be some wiggle because it’s not 2 batteries wide but it will stay secure on the ALS system. I have tried it personally.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    The holster is horrible compared to the 63 series. No felt lining. Cheap feeling. I have the same combo and wished they made it with 6377 holster. I will be swtiching back to the TLR-1 just because i am soo unimpressed with the 7377.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you both for your input.
    I have not purchased a light or holster yet. I am fine with a TLR-1 and 6xxx if that is a better/safer choice. I am happy with my current G19 6xxx holster and don't think the cost difference is significant.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-22-20 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    You are better off keeping the 63 series. I am regretted that mistake of switching to the 73 series. I sold my 63 holster to a friend and will have to order another. As far as the TLR-7 has been, so far i like everything about it. But it seems to kill the batteries with the 7377 holster. It flexes too much to press the momentary switch while sitting on the quad or truck. I can turn the dial and turn it off, but if i need it, i do not want to have to turn it back on. Going to research a new holster and see if that will help. I ordered a crossbreed LDS holster for the glock 19 and will try to carry it. IF that does not pan out, i will switch back to the TLR-1s for duty.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My understanding is the the 7000 series if fine for non-light bearing pistols but breakage is common with light bearing models, for that the 6000 series is the way to go.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you, everyone.

UPDATE - I now have a TLR-1 mounted on my G17 and a 6377 to carry it in. The pistol, sans light, also fits fine in the 6378 that I use for my G19 (pokes out the bottom a bit tho).

I plan on sending the slide back to the Glock mother ship for night sight installation after I get to the range and verify the pistol is trouble free.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-19-20 at 23:53.