Thread: AI rifles

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

AI rifles

I have a buddy itching to get an AI gun. His question, can you swop out barrels and run both 308 and 300WM barrels in same gun, or will the long action screw the pooch on feeding?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have a buddy itching to get an AI gun. His question, can you swop out barrels and run both 308 and 300WM barrels in same gun, or will the long action screw the pooch on feeding?

PB
    The long action AXMC was designed to shoot both rounds. It’s not a cheap system. He may be money ahead to buy two rifles actually...maybe a used straight AX or AW in each flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    The long action AXMC was designed to shoot both rounds. It’s not a cheap system. He may be money ahead to buy two rifles actually...maybe a used straight AX or AW in each flavor.

If you find a legacy AW, the owner likely wants a stupid price for the "collector" aspect...especially 300WM's

AXMC's are cheaper than short action AX's at the moment to make way for the AXSR (AXMC with some minor tweaks)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    If you find a legacy AW, the owner likely wants a stupid price for the "collector" aspect...especially 300WM's

AXMC's are cheaper than short action AX's at the moment to make way for the AXSR (AXMC with some minor tweaks)
    I’ve seen a few on the hide sell for 3-4k and AE Mark IIIs in .308 in the $2800 range. But you’re right, some or the AXMCs are heavily discounted right now.

I wanted to pick up an adjustable rear for my legacy pre-14 AX, but with some of the prices on things now I’ve considered picking up one of the MCs.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    AW short actions in used condition can go relatively inexpensively...there's a dude been sitting on one around $4k for a while, but the magnums don't go cheap when they come along.

Feedback Score
    AW short actions in used condition can go relatively inexpensively...there's a dude been sitting on one around $4k for a while, but the magnums don't go cheap when they come along.
    There’s a legacy AX in .338 on Eurooptic for 4K and change right now.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    There’s a legacy AX in .338 on Eurooptic for 4K and change right now.

cool...but AX, not a legacy AWM or AWSM....

Feedback Score

AI rifles

cool...but AX, not a legacy AWM or AWSM....
    Ok? Point being OP may be able to locate two rifles cheaper than one with a conversion.

Additionally, used magnums do come around from time to time.

Last one I saw late last year was $4700.

If OP’s friend is greatly concerned with feeding issues on conversions (which are largely unfounded) he could potentially buy older guns in each caliber cheaper than buying the new hotness...be it legacy AX, AW, AE, etc. Myself I like multiple rifles and not changing barrels and zeros all the time. There is no reason to be offended by my post.

Last edited by PracticalRifleman; 05-23-20 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Ok? Point being OP may be able to locate two rifles cheaper than one with a conversion.

Additionally, used magnums fo come around from time to time.

Yes, I can see you don't understand...that's very clear.

Feedback Score

AI rifles

Delete