Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on buying Glock 31 Gene in .357sig caliber

Feedback Score

Need opinions on buying Glock 31 Gene in .357sig caliber

Shooters I am considerating buying the Glock 31 Gen4 in 357 sig caliber for both home defense & range shooting. I have experience in firing most caliber handguns(45acp.9mm, 10mm,40cal.).
    I need on opinion on this handgun regarding (1) reliability
    (2) recoil
    (3) your thoughts about this gun!

please note : cost of sig ammo doesn't bother me! Thank-you for your thoughts! Semper Fi!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Shooters I am considerating buying the Glock 31 Gen4 in 357 sig caliber for both home defense & range shooting. I have experience in firing most caliber handguns(45acp.9mm, 10mm,40cal.).
    I need on opinion on this handgun regarding (1) reliability
    (2) recoil
    (3) your thoughts about this gun!

please note : cost of sig ammo doesn't bother me! Thank-you for your thoughts! Semper Fi!
    It feels and sounds like +P+ 9mm but a little more than that. In other words Less push than .40, more muzzle flip than standard 9mm.

Reliability is average for a Glock. (Very good)

Know that you can drop a .357 barrel into a .40 or 10mm gun (model / magazine dependant) and expect perfect operation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    357 SIG may offer slightly better hard barrier penetration. It does not have any other terminal ballistics advantages over any other service caliber, while being less likely to have new advances in bullet design made for it.

I'm not trying to argue with your caliber choice, but if you are interested I can get into why you might choose a different caliber.

What it does have more recoil and muzzle blast, and a reputation of wearing out some guns faster. I don't recall hearing any problems with the G31 but don't pay much attention to the caliber either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Loooong time ago I owned a S&W M&P 357sig, when they first came out. I don't remember the recoil being much different from 40SW

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I always heard negative stuff about the round and some platforms that chambered it but until I actually owned a few and shot them, I realized it was fine. I had a S&W M&P from CDNN when they were cheap but ammo was not. Mags were abound though as it uses the same ones as the .40, just ammo wasn't. It shot great, was accurate etc with no issues what so ever. Bit hotter than the .40 but not enough that it bothered me or anyone else who tried it. I sold it to a friend with a S&W factory .40 BBL installed on it as he could get 40 easier than .357Sig but wanted the dual caliber capability. The only reason I sold it was to fund a good quality 22LR revolver and I was trying to consolidate handgun ammo. Right before the Covid hit, I was at the range when another member asked if I was interested in buying his Gen 4 Glock for $300 with 250rnds ammo & 7 mags, only 100rnds through it. I said yes sight unseen and it turned out to be a Glock 31! He was /is trying to consolidate calibers ! So Im baaaack in!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah, you can buy 9mm 2 for 1 compared to 357 SIG, if you can find it at your LGS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, price of ammo isn't the only issue with .357 Auto, it's availability.

Me, if I was hell bent on running some, I'd just get a .357 barrel for my G23. I really wouldn't want a dedicated .357. I don't think there's enough reason for it's existence.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve heard that 357Sig ammo stayed available longer than 9mm in previous ammo scare shortages. Was that true for this latest one?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Yes, price of ammo isn't the only issue with .357 Auto, it's availability.

Me, if I was hell bent on running some, I'd just get a .357 barrel for my G23. I really wouldn't want a dedicated .357. I don't think there's enough reason for it's existence.
    Plenty of it online. Don't even have to try hard. SGammo. $400/case

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    (2) Recoil impulse is more comfortable and less snappy than shooting 40S&W.

It is loud with bigger fireballs. It shoots flat (trajectory) and is more accurate than 40S&W. If you are not set on the Glock, check out SIG P229 in 357SIG. They were made for each other. Take a look at the P229 with the "legacy" slide. You can pickup a CPO P229 in 40SW for pretty cheap ($400-500) and a new 357 barrel for $150. Great deals to be had.

For me, I love it but can't afford to shoot it often due to ammo cost. But I still have a P229 with a 357 barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast