Thread: Virginia private sale to Maryland resident?

Feedback Score

Virginia private sale to Maryland resident?

I am selling a handgun on armslist and a maryland resident wants to come down to VA to purchase from me in cash. I'm not too familiar with the laws but from my understanding I cannot do this legally unless I ship the firearm to an FFL in Maryland? Is that correct, and if that is the case would he need a handgun permit from MD as well?

my issue has been solved!!

appvalley tutuapp tweakbox
    Last edited by MatiasMyles; 05-24-20 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You cannot legally sell a handgun FTF to someone from out of state.

It needs to be shipped to an FFL in his home state for transfer. No lawful way around that as far as I'm aware.

As to if he needs a Maryland handgun permit to receive the firearm, I'm not familiar with MD laws, but I believe so.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 05-23-20 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    It would be easier if you went to his ffl in Maryland to do it in person(provided it is close)

Or you can meet him at your ffl, do the transaction, and have your ffl send it to his ffl in Maryland.

But him getting the gun at the sale....no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah, definitely has to go through an FFL.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This is probably the only time the internet will agree on what the law is.

Mark this date down.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    You cannot legally sell a handgun FTF to someone from out of state.
    It needs to be shipped to an FFL in his home state for transfer. No lawful way around that as far as I'm aware.
    As to if he needs a Maryland handgun permit to receive the firearm, I'm not familiar with MD laws, but I believe so.
    This is true, but for a non-FFL holder this is true for ANY firearm, not only a handgun.

An FFL holder can sell a long gun to a non-resident, but can't sell a handgun to a non-resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    It would be easier if you went to his ffl in Maryland to do it in person(provided it is close)
    You would think this would be OK, but in at least one case the BATFE prosecuted someone who did this, for an illegal sale/transfer. There were other issues in that case, but I wouldn't try it. It seems that ATF's view is that a non-FFL has to ship the firearm to the FFL in the other state, and can't deliver it in person. Unsure of any logic or regulatory basis, but FYI.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    This is true, but for a non-FFL holder this is true for ANY firearm, not only a handgun.

An FFL holder can sell a long gun to a non-resident, but can't sell a handgun to a non-resident.
    Correct, thanks for catching that.