Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold TMR reticle, any good for long range? (800-1000 yards)

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)

Leupold TMR reticle, any good for long range? (800-1000 yards)

I'm looking for feedback on Leupold's TMR reticle. For those who have used it for long range shooting, what do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Lastly, given the choice would you recommend a Christmas tree style reticle like a Tremor 3 or EBR over the TMR? I'm trying to narrow down my scope choices for my 308 DMR build. So far I like the Leupold Mark 5, Vortex Razor AMG, and Vortex Razor HD.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-23-20 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    Yes. It is basically what the military has been using for decades.
    Fire in the Hole

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
    Yes. It is basically what the military has been using for decades.
    Have you used one?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Have you used one?
    Yes. Not at 1000. I never fired on 1000 yard range.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Yes it works in the 3-18 variants, no it will not work in the mk6 1-6 variant if you decide to dial. I would 100% recommend the T3 to anyone looking to shoot the distances you are asking about. I have used the T3 past a mile and its by far the most functional long range reticle for my purposes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One of the early and still one of the better MIL hash reticles in my opinion.

The Christmas tree question is too big and to too personal to really answer. As even among it's fans there are people who love and a hate different versions.

I'd say look for a used last gen scope that doesn't have as big a power range as the latest model, with a Christmas tree to try out. You can test drive it and then probably sell it without a loss.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Yes it works in the 3-18 variants, no it will not work in the mk6 1-6 variant if you decide to dial. I would 100% recommend the T3 to anyone looking to shoot the distances you are asking about. I have used the T3 past a mile and its by far the most functional long range reticle for my purposes.
    The Leupold Mark 5 I'm looking at is the 3-18 model. Both the TMR and Tremor 3 are available with illumination, and the ones I've handled at Sportsman's had excellent glass. So far it's my #1 pick. My local Sportsman's has one with the illuminated TMR, but the clerk informed me they can't get one with the Tremor 3, so instead of buying the TMR model right away, I decided to ask you guys for feedback
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-24-20 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

The Christmas tree question is too big and to too personal to really answer. As even among it's fans there are people who love and a hate different versions.

I'd say look for a used last gen scope that doesn't have as big a power range as the latest model, with a Christmas tree to try out. You can test drive it and then probably sell it without a loss.
    I'm a novice when it comes to precision shooting, so to me the Christmas tree reticles look more user friendly. They seem like they would require less dialing. But I could be wrong... That's why I decided to put my questions to you guys

Feedback Score
    Regardless you have to know your range and verify the reticle if you use holdovers like the christmas trees. I would usually dial anyway.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Agree, it has the essentials you really need and not much else.

Strongly agree, and will add that there is a huge range of Xmas tree reticles. The Horus reticles are simply too busy for me. Some of the more basic Xmas trees, like the GAP/Bushnell G2 and G3, and the reticles in gen2 Vortex PSTs, are much more usable while still having tree features.

I personally like non-tree reticles better, but it is a personal decision based on a lot of factors.

OP: the Mark 5 looks like a solid scope and TMR is fine. I would look at some other options as well, including the Burris XTR-III (3!) models with SCR-MIL, which is a similar and really good reticle, or Nightforce options with Mil-R or Mil-C reticles. Reticle choice is important and worth spending time on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast