Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol caliber carbines are winning my soul - and they should win yours too

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I used to be strictly an AR and Glock guy but there’s so much versatility out there in other platforms. (Plus some are just nostalgic)

Anyone else?
    Who has hacked Euro’s account?

Just kidding. Pistol caliber guns are good fun. We use them as a inexpensive training analogs that don’t tear up our steel as quickly. And as range toys.

Enjoy.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I am a big lover of small PCC, as most people here know.

I don't think a super small 300blk is better than a small PCC. Size of magazines of PCC, are easier to carry, over full sized rifle mags. Muzzle blast of super sonic 300blk V muzzle blast of 9mm. If you are talking subs in the 300blk, then you might as well carry a 9mm.

I have been approached to set up security on 2 different projects that have similar issues. So to solve these issues, I will have to budget for both PCCs and real rifles. It isn't one or the other, it is mission driven.

Feedback Score
    You completely missed the point of this post.

Nobody here disagrees with you about the ineffectiveness of 9mm vs 5.56.

But I’m gonna go out on a limb that you don’t carry a 5.56mm pistol into shops and restaurants with you for EDC. Why not?

A 9mm PCC in my hand at a grocery store is a lot more useful when some ****ed up rich white kid wants to blow people away than a 9mm handgun that holds 7 rounds or an AR15 that’s miles away in a safe.

Don’t be daft. The fact that you are referring to uzis and MP5s shows you’ve been out of the game since 1992. A 9mm PCC isn’t a replacement to an AR. It fills a role in between a handgun you conceal on your body and when you can bring a real rifle someplace.

If I went with a PCC I'd want to explore something a little more "upscale" caliber-wise than 9mm. Maybe 10mm, actually would prefer a 357Sig but nobody makes such a beast other than one-offs. Maybe .45ACP.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I now own 2 GHM9Cs with glock lowers. They are sooooo much fun and have really cut down on training costs between shooting 9mm and 556 when working up close and transition drills. Plus, its way quieter at night and I have found myself training more with my NV now than I ever did with my 556 and 30 calibre guns. Much less neighbor hate as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't get the appeal of PCC; back when they started to become the range in 2015 or so, I figured it would last a year at most and be over. I guess I was wrong. Neutered sub-guns is how they've always come off to me, and I still tend to think that way. If you're carrying it to have something bigger than a pistol, cool, but for about the same size (or slightly bigger) you can have an SBR or pistol in 5.56/.300BLK. If you're already carrying your weapon in a bag, I'd think you'd want to have the most potent weapon in the bag as possible, not what amounts to an oversized pistol.

On the subject of carrying a PCC around, how many owners EDC one? Not just in a vehicle (because that same argument works just as well for any rifle or intermediate options too) but on them constantly? I'd be willing to be that the number is extremely small, smaller even than the percentage of CCW permit/license holders that actually EDC. If that's the case, the benefits of being able to carry one concealed in a bag or briefcase is greatly diminished by the practicality of doing so.

To each their own, though. I'm not the fount of all firearms knowledge in the universe and I know it, and if it makes sense to you, cool. I'm the guy that likes Cold War battle rifles and SCARs, so what do I know?
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I don't get the appeal of PCC; back when they started to become the range in 2015 or so, I figured it would last a year at most and be over. I guess I was wrong. Neutered sub-guns is how they've always come off to me, and I still tend to think that way. If you're carrying it to have something bigger than a pistol, cool, but for about the same size (or slightly bigger) you can have an SBR or pistol in 5.56/.300BLK. If you're already carrying your weapon in a bag, I'd think you'd want to have the most potent weapon in the bag as possible, not what amounts to an oversized pistol.

On the subject of carrying a PCC around, how many owners EDC one? Not just in a vehicle (because that same argument works just as well for any rifle or intermediate options too) but on them constantly? I'd be willing to be that the number is extremely small, smaller even than the percentage of CCW permit/license holders that actually EDC. If that's the case, the benefits of being able to carry one concealed in a bag or briefcase is greatly diminished by the practicality of doing so.

To each their own, though. I'm not the fount of all firearms knowledge in the universe and I know it, and if it makes sense to you, cool. I'm the guy that likes Cold War battle rifles and SCARs, so what do I know?
    Because overall size and weight. I have and use an old school bag. Nothing tactical, no molle or camo no 100 different hidden pockets, no paracord...etc. I've been using it for 20 years for everything from a gym bag to a range bag. It's not going to fit a 10.5in AR unless broken down. Anything shorter in 556 and hearing protection is a must. 300blk is expensive. I'm finding almost a dollar a round. A 9mm pcc can be very short and light. Throw it in a back pack and no one knows it's there. As far as taking it with me ...... that's going to depend on where I'm going and what the area is like. Not taking it to the local 7-11.

Feedback Score
    The only PPC I’m really interested in is the CMMG Banshee set up for Glock mags. But I’m still not sure when I would actually be carrying it with me, and the Banshee’s footprint is still kinda big.

I get it.. but I’m still not convinced I need it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I replaced my shotgun for home defense with a 9mm CX4.

30>6. Shoots much faster. Instant reloads. Simpler operation. Lighter and more compact.

Why not just use my 6920? Outside, sure. But in a room, flash and blast of 5.56 is much worse than a pistol. The PCC's is less than a pistol.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    But I’m gonna go out on a limb that you don’t carry a 5.56mm pistol into shops and restaurants with you for EDC. Why not?

A 9mm PCC in my hand at a grocery store is a lot more useful when some ****ed up rich white kid wants to blow people away than a 9mm handgun that holds 7 rounds or an AR15 that’s miles away in a safe.
    That sounds really good in theory but are you really going to sling up a backpack everywhere you go just to carry something for an engagement that you have about a .000001% chance to be in?

If so, then rock on...For me, they are in the same category as a truck gun where guys think they’ll run out to the parking lot to re-engage an active shooter.

I’m not saying it can’t fill a niche roll or aren’t a fun platform, especially suppressed. But I don’t see it replacing an edc handgun (mine carries 15+1 rds with a 17rd reload btw) on a daily basis.

Feedback Score
    If you carry it, it makes sense.
    I wouldnt. As I said in another thread, my pistol skills are way ahead of rifle skills, so it makes no sense for me to go to a 9mm long gun, unless its FA.

Silenced 9mm FA is a hell of a lot of fun, I can only imagine how much better it would be with NV, but havent got into it yet... maybe in a couple years.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast