Thread: Reticle choices, Nightforce NXS and Vortex Razor Gen II

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Reticle choices, Nightforce NXS and Vortex Razor Gen II

Currently awaiting a backordered NF NXS 2.5-10x42 mm with MOA reticle - but considering a switch to MIL-R or MIL-Dot. This scope is for a Centurion Arms Recce upper I own.

Meanwhile, have decided to take advantage of the Vortex Razor Gen II HD-E promo at Eurooptic, but can’t decide between JM-1 BDC and VMR-2 MRAD. This scope will go on my Sionics PR2.

I was trained in meters by the Air Force (not like USMC-trained, but somewhat trained), but one of the ranges I was using prior to COVID mess is marked in yards. I am thinking about going back to meters but it’s like re-learning cursive.

I usually shoot out to 200 yards but this range is marked out to 600; with LPVO I’d really like to try it.

The Vortex is the main question. BDC appears “cleaner” and less cluttered, but an M4C thread I searched/found before posting this one, a few members pointed out that the BDC markings are somewhat arbitrary and actual results will vary by grain and manufacturer of each particular cartridge.

Your critical thoughts and perspectives on these two scopes and their reticle options are, as always, very gratefully appreciated ...
    Last edited by Buncheong; 05-24-20 at 14:14.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    You can always use a MRAD reticle as a "BDC" once you know your holds, but can't use a BDC as a MRAD reticle. And this can be done on multiple rifles if you ever switch it around or change barrel length.

You can also convert your range in yards to meters and shoot for meters. Even out to 600 yards, the difference isn't that much (600 yds = 549 meters)

I personally would go MRAD every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-24-20 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Currently awaiting a backordered NF NXS 2.5-10x42 mm with MOA reticle - but considering a switch to MIL-R or MIL-Dot. This scope if for a Centurion Arms Recce upper I own.

Meanwhile, have decided to take advantage of the Vortex Razor Gen II HD-E promo at Eurooptic, but can’t decide between JM-1 BDC and VMR-2 MRAD. This scope will go on my Sionics PR2.

I was trained in meters by the Air Force (not like USMC-trained, but somewhat trained), but one of the ranges I was using prior to COVID mess is marked in yards. I am thinking about going back to meters but it’s like re-learning cursive.

I usually shoot out to 200 yards but this range is marked out to 600; with LPVO I’d really like to try it.

The Vortex is the main question. BDC appears “cleaner” and less cluttered, but an M4C thread I searched/found before posting this one, a few members pointed out that the BDC markings are somewhat arbitrary and actual results will vary by grain and manufacturer of each particular cartridge.

Your critical thoughts and perspectives on these two scopes and their reticle options are, as always, very gratefully appreciated ...
    That's true, BDCs are always dependent on barrel length, caliber, velocity, etc. That said, the JM-1 is a cleaner reticle, which is why I like it but it depends on the purpose. What coupon though?
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-24-20 at 13:38.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the detailed replies, Gentlemen - your time and insights are much appreciated.

No coupon per se; just “ships free” and “no sales tax.”

Kinda’ hard to resist, at this point ...
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My preferred combo is MRADs and yards. However, that matters less than being in sync with your spotter, range, and gear - and not having to do mental gymnastics as you swap the variables around.

Math matters, and goofing up a yd/m conversion even at intermediate distances is the difference between a hit or a miss.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 05-24-20 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Unless you have a rifle, cartridge, and scope lined out which match up well with a BDC, I believe a MIL / MOA reticle is the more useful option - because long term you are more likely to move the scope to something else which may or may not match up with the BDC.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I've been scope shopping recently, and the conclusion I came to is that mil and moa reticles are more universal, and can be adapted to other rifles/cartridges if need be.