Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?

Feedback Score

Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?

I see all the glowing recommendations, and comments such as "Upgrade my 1911 to...." OK, why is, say, an M&P 45 a sufficient improvement over a SIG 1911, commander length officer frame? Yes, I'm an old fart, but I can always learn something new, and effective defense more necessary than ever. I tried a Glock 21 several years ago, and simply could not stand the grip. The hump was more of an issue than the angle; the angle probably was close enough to others, but was distorted by the hump. I didn't want anything thick and bulky, as I carry the 1911 IWB.

I'd appreciate comments. I'd have to have a really good reason to change calibers.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    I see all the glowing recommendations, and comments such as "Upgrade my 1911 to...." OK, why is, say, an M&P 45 a sufficient improvement over a SIG 1911, commander length officer frame? Yes, I'm an old fart, but I can always learn something new, and effective defense more necessary than ever. I tried a Glock 21 several years ago, and simply could not stand the grip. The hump was more of an issue than the angle; the angle probably was close enough to others, but was distorted by the hump. I didn't want anything thick and bulky, as I carry the 1911 IWB.

I'd appreciate comments. I'd have to have a really good reason to change calibers.
    If you are sticking with .45 and the price of a sig 1911 is in your budget I would suggest taking a good look at the H&K 45 offerings. Can also carry cocked and locked like you are used to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    If it fits your needs, keep it.

Is there something about it you don't like?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A Sig 1911 with a commander length slide and officer grip is likely a POS and not really even a 1911.

Almost anything would be an upgrade.

That's why.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    1911's are 4.25 or 5", full grip for me. I have 1 of each in 9mm. My hands will not tolerate recoil very long anymore. While I do have M&P's and Glocks and a couple of Sigs, all are 9mm except for a G21. I do not carry heavy guns anymore as a CCW. I did carry a full size 1911 45acp and N frame Smith's in my younger day.
    Sig 1911's I have no experience with. The Sig P220 is excellent and carried one issued for several years.

If you need justification from the gallery, maybe you are questioning your thought processes. If the pants fit, by all means wear them, even if they are not a common color like everyone else.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

You lost me at Sig 1911, but end of the day, simply research what are the +/- of transitioning from the 1911 to polymer wonder pistols and decide for yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze. I can say it was the M&P with Apex kit and thumb safety that had a lot of people finally leave the 1911 platform, including yours truly. Most of those transitions were also to 9mm M&P, and that's also another topic of discussion.

If staying with .45, that also changes the equation a bit.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?
    Because you just had half your brain surgically removed?

There's NO reason to swap a 1911 for that hunka junk.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I hate to be the "buy a 9mm Glock" guy but here is my thought.

Unless you have thousands of 45, I'd switch to 9mm. You can buy an M&P Shield that is smaller than your current gun that will hold as many rounds and probably shoots softer.

9mm is just easier to shoot and that increases your accuracy.

That said, if your current blaster is accurate and reliable, drive on. If you are concerned with it, then buy a wonder 9 and never worry about parts fitting or expensive ammo again.

If you are dead set on .45 that isn't a 1911 then, boy, I dunno. HK45c? M&Ps aren't bad. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    With something like a g19 or m&p compact, you have a smaller, lighter gun, that you can probably shoot better with, that holds 2x the ammo.

Edit- you can also get almost 2x the range time for the same price.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-25-20 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

There's NO reason to swap a 1911 for that hunka junk.
    Hilton Yam did exactly that, but what does he know about 1911s?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast