Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Don't do it. Save it for the range.
    8 shots, slide lock, you croak.
    lol, oh boy I don't need to be croaking

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    You go for a head shot and pick up an AR?
    That works too, and someone else had to lug it around for you until you needed to use it. That's genius
    Last edited by steelcore; 06-05-20 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe carry two 1911s for a semi-auto New York reload? Now that would be a sight!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowNotEverything View Post
    The one thing i have learned from this forum is that i will not make a recommendation without a budget. You are asking if you should trade in a design that is 100+ years old for a modern pistol with exemplary reliability. You wouldn't really be asking if you didn't have an idea of the answer.

I believe that the 9mm vs 45 debate has been settled by modern hollowpoint design. No one wants to get shot with that shit, regardless of caliber.

I also believe that if you enjoy the 1911 design there are modern options that are affordable and reliable. The M&P can keep the manual safety and lose the archaic grip safety, lose a bunch of weight and has extended magazines if you decide you have to have a 45.

The STI Staccato is winning contracts, has double the capacity, and looks ****ing awesome. The Wilson Combat EDC9 or whatever is an expensive but apparently great firearm.

I am personally drawn to the Dan Wesson DWX compact. CZ75 ergos and magazines, 1911 trigger and safety, and Browning tilt-barrel action make it a modern fusion of proven design.

I'd like to see where you land. I feel this is a conversation more and more people are having with themselves. I'm actually looking at .45s right now, just because i want one.
    I just got an M&P 2.0 9 compact. Feels great. Can hardly wait to shoot it. Usually, I go out in the Gulf and shoot at bleach bottles (yes, I have a length of line on them so I can pull them back to the boat, and not pollute the Gulf with any more plastic than it already has). Raining, so I'll have to wait a couple of days.

Thanks, everyone for all the input and comments for me to think about.
    Last edited by REDinFL; 06-05-20 at 17:04.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Have you been watching the news. Lots of “gang ups” happening in the cities recently.
    Yea I seen. Missed the point but it doesn't matter now

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    If you're carrying a 1911 with 7+1 or 8+1 rounds of 45 Auto (and one-to-three reloads) and you die... You probably would have died carrying a Roland Special, or a Glock 34, or a S&W model 29....
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    If you're carrying a 1911 with 7+1 or 8+1 rounds of 45 Auto (and one-to-three reloads) and you die... You probably would have died carrying a Roland Special, or a Glock 34, or a S&W model 29....
    This is the truth. I carry my DW CCO, with two spare 8 rounders, more often then plastic fantastics, and I'm still alive.

I shot my new M2.0 Compact 4" for the first time today, and it was damn nice. I compared it back to back with an old gen 3 G23 (that I've had for over 20 years) with a 9mm barrel, and I definitely prefer the S&W. I won't be retiring the CCO any time soon, but the Glock will go back to the bedroom nightstand to stay.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345