The one thing i have learned from this forum is that i will not make a recommendation without a budget. You are asking if you should trade in a design that is 100+ years old for a modern pistol with exemplary reliability. You wouldn't really be asking if you didn't have an idea of the answer.

I believe that the 9mm vs 45 debate has been settled by modern hollowpoint design. No one wants to get shot with that shit, regardless of caliber.

I also believe that if you enjoy the 1911 design there are modern options that are affordable and reliable. The M&P can keep the manual safety and lose the archaic grip safety, lose a bunch of weight and has extended magazines if you decide you have to have a 45.

The STI Staccato is winning contracts, has double the capacity, and looks ****ing awesome. The Wilson Combat EDC9 or whatever is an expensive but apparently great firearm.

I am personally drawn to the Dan Wesson DWX compact. CZ75 ergos and magazines, 1911 trigger and safety, and Browning tilt-barrel action make it a modern fusion of proven design.

I'd like to see where you land. I feel this is a conversation more and more people are having with themselves. I'm actually looking at .45s right now, just because i want one.