Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the input. RWH24 touched on my main reason for asking: my thought process. I wanted to see if there was some factor I was missing. Yes, Ron3, the SIG serves my needs, but I thought possibly I was just an old fart in a time warp and there was something new and wonderful that would solve all issues, and shoot accurately around corners. Alas, standard stuff, as it always was, just some different whistles, not even sure about bells. So, I'll stick with what I have. The attraction of the officer frame is the shorter grip doesn't stick out to print anywhere near as much as a full size. I carry appendix.

So, thanks again for the input and advice. I feel it's at least thought through completely. Of course, I'm still and old fart, as I have a 1917 for a .45acp revolver but, hey, one can reload pretty fast with the moon clips. And, some of the younger characters on the street might look at it and wonder what it is, the hesitation costing them an advantage.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    A Sig 1911 with a commander length slide and officer grip is likely a POS and not really even a 1911.

Almost anything would be an upgrade.

That's why.
    OoooWeee.
    Harsh, but- yep.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Is this a carry gun, nightstand, fun gun or all three? I I have two full size M&P 45s. Good guns but I would look at 9mm chambering. But if set on 45 the full size guns in the 1.0 version are super accurate even better with an apex trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Hilton Yam did exactly that, but what does he know about 1911s?
    Actually, Hilton Yam's target audience was dying-off so he just moved on to greener pastures. I'm placing this here but not totally certain there isn't a grain of truth.

Incidentally, kind of a rebirth with the 2011:

Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-25-20 at 19:11.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    dpb 1776

It's a carry gun. My nightstand gun is my 1917. I toyed with the idea of 9mm for everything - it's certainly much easier to get a pocket pistol in 9 - but the logistics of doing all the trading/selling, and changeover of ammo is just more work than it's worth when there's not a significant advantage, especially with the characters on Armslist wanting to swap a half value pistol even. So, I'll just stay with what I have. It works. My pocket pistol is an AMT Backup 45 - quite a sting when fired, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Winchester Ranger T at close range.

Thanks
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    I haven’t tried their 2.0 45 compact but I have a 9mm compact, 5 inch and 4 inch performance center shield all are accurate and reliable. No experience but I imagine the 45s are the same. The 1.0 full size 45s have been 100 percent reliable, little more recoil then the 9mm of course. Going to be heavier than a 1911 also. I shot and carried a govt model series 70 for years that’s why I went to the M&P series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Hilton Yam did exactly that, but what does he know about 1911s?
    Back when the M&P was going to be the Glock killer... that it never turned out to be.

From what I can tell, all his shooting now is done with a 1911, a 2011, or a Glock. Yam's current carry gun is a 2011.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This thread is looking like a possible sister to the "overblown handgun arguments" thread.

Feedback Score
    I’d keep a 1911 unless you want less recoil and a higher round count.

The FN FNX 45 Tactical would be my choice since it’s a soft shooter, has a high capacity and works with a suppressor.

The trigger is awesome, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carried a compact 1911 for 20 years. 2 years ago I retired it, and got a M&P9. Why?

18 in the gun, 17 more in the reload.

Much more controllable shooting.

Less maintenance, less sensitive to dirt.

I love my 5" .45s for the range. John Browning rules. But a modern 9mm for Thugz.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 05-25-20 at 21:54.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast