Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    OoooWeee.
    Harsh, but- yep.

That's a point I cannot hammer in hard enough.

I've had enough 'jamming' Sig 1911s, most all commander length, pass through my hands, that I would not recommend them to anyone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    I'd appreciate comments. I'd have to have a really good reason to change calibers.
    The primary really good reason: Modern bullet design has made the performance difference between the 9mm and the .45 so close as to be negligible. When you consider the increased number of rounds a 9mm pistol carries compared to a similar size .45 the difference becomes more apparent. And then you have what most shooters consider the better shootability of the 9mm.

So, limited difference in terminal performance, more rounds, easier to shoot, makes 9mm the more 'sensible' choice.

If you like the 1911, get one in 9mm. If your Sig Commander is reliable, your the only one that knows that, I'd be inclined to keep it because I rarely sell or trade pistols.

If you reload, trade or sell components and buy 9mm stuff, or, do like I do load 9mm until your stock is up, then switch and load .45 until your stock is up, rinse and repeat.

If you are going to switch from the 1911 type, I would heartily endorse either the Glock 19x or the M&P 2.0 in 9mm.

Ultimately though, the decision is yours and yours alone.

Good luck.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    That's a point I cannot hammer in hard enough.

I've had enough 'jamming' Sig 1911s, most all commander length, pass through my hands, that I would not recommend them to anyone.
    The couple I worked on for a "buddy of bud" were reason to do no more favors.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I am going to put my vote in for CZ P07/9. They are super accurate, they can be carried cocked and locked and give you at least 15 rounds in the mag or higher.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Back when the M&P was going to be the Glock killer... that it never turned out to be.

From what I can tell, all his shooting now is done with a 1911, a 2011, or a Glock. Yam's current carry gun is a 2011.
    He wrote at length at the time as to why he transitioned, and perhaps transitioned yet again. I did same. For me, M&P was a Glock killer as I'd have never gone 1911-> Glock.

I can say, the M&P with Apex kit was the polymer pistol that had many finally leaving the 1911 platform like none other did at the time. Now there's far more choices.

The M&P, while not a Glock killer per se, did take a lot of contracts from Glock with PDs.

My major point being: plenty of people who know a thing or two about 1911s and pistols in general, do not find the M&P "hunka junk" cuz it aint.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-26-20 at 08:47.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    dpb 1776

It's a carry gun. My nightstand gun is my 1917. I toyed with the idea of 9mm for everything - it's certainly much easier to get a pocket pistol in 9 - but the logistics of doing all the trading/selling, and changeover of ammo is just more work than it's worth when there's not a significant advantage, especially with the characters on Armslist wanting to swap a half value pistol even. So, I'll just stay with what I have. It works. My pocket pistol is an AMT Backup 45 - quite a sting when fired, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Winchester Ranger T at close range.

Thanks
    You base at least part of your decision on Armslist?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've done the transition from 1911's to the M&P .45 platform. I bought M&P .45's in the full, compact and shield sizes. Though I haven't sold off my 1911's, more out of laziness than anything else. The M&P's require less tinkering, mags are bulletproof and they shoot just as softly and accurate as the 1911's. I had initially thought i was going to go with Apex triggers on them. However, after working them out on the range, I felt it was more a luxury than a necessity. Though I may still do it later on. With the small backstrap, the full size feels great in the hand. I may even prefer it to the 1911. The Shield has definitely impressed me with how easy it is to carry, and easily controllable recoil. The 1911 trigger will always feel better. But I don't notice a difference on the timer.

That said, if your existing gun is reliable and you shoot it well. I wouldn't say it's a gamechanger to change. They all put holes where I point them and none of them are the limiting factor in that process. I have a large stockpile of .45, otherwise I would have purchased the 9mm versions of them. I still will eventually when I shoot through everything that I have. Just didn't feel like dealing with trades/selling off ammo at the moment.
    Last edited by shakazulu12; 05-26-20 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was forced to transition from personally owned 1911 to issued Glock in 1999 or 2000. Over the years I toyed with 1911's since and fairly recently bought a pair of Colts CCU's in 9mm. They are fun and the govt. is heavy. I really con't imagine going back to carrying one daily, even on a duty belt. Over the years when I went to classes there were always a few but they rarely made it through 2,000 rounds without some issue, even from the best pistolsmiths. I bought into Glocks in 9mm in a big way and don't see myself changing in my lifetime. 19X for nightstand, 45 for duty belt, 19 in the car,48 on my belt most of my time, and 43 for deeper carry.

The reality is if it works and you're comfortable with it then why change. Most of us would be well served with a revolver in reality. Buy a new pistol or caliber because you want to not because what you have in insufficient.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    For the OP, if you are in Fla., there must be some rental ranges within reasonable driving range.
    Find one with the guns you want. This should answer all your question of whether a switch is worthwhile for a minimal outlay of money.

I am not surprised you didn't like the Glock grip. I think it would be work trying something a bit more ergonomic like the M&P and see if that changes your mind at all.
    If possible, I'd try to find the M&P .45 2.0, as the stock 2.0 triggers are way better than the 1.0, which suck, imo, without the APEX DCAEK kit. I doubt you will find an upgraded gun like that at a rental range.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    He wrote at length at the time as to why he transitioned, and perhaps transitioned yet again. I did same. For me, M&P was a Glock killer as I'd have never gone 1911-> Glock.

I can say, the M&P with Apex kit was the polymer pistol that had many finally leaving the 1911 platform like none other did at the time. Now there's far more choices.

The M&P, while not a Glock killer per se, did take a lot of contracts from Glock with PDs.

My major point being: plenty of people who know a thing or two about 1911s and pistols in general, do not find the M&P "hunka junk" cuz it aint.
    DocGKR also went to the M&P for his 45 Autos.

For me, I went back and forth from 1911 to Glock and back again (and to H&Ks, Berettas, SiGs, &c., but always came back to Glocks and/or 1911s). My Staccatos are Glock killers and 1911 killers (mostly) for me.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast