Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why should I replace my 1911 with an M&P?

Feedback Score
    The one thing i have learned from this forum is that i will not make a recommendation without a budget. You are asking if you should trade in a design that is 100+ years old for a modern pistol with exemplary reliability. You wouldn't really be asking if you didn't have an idea of the answer.

I believe that the 9mm vs 45 debate has been settled by modern hollowpoint design. No one wants to get shot with that shit, regardless of caliber.

I also believe that if you enjoy the 1911 design there are modern options that are affordable and reliable. The M&P can keep the manual safety and lose the archaic grip safety, lose a bunch of weight and has extended magazines if you decide you have to have a 45.

The STI Staccato is winning contracts, has double the capacity, and looks ****ing awesome. The Wilson Combat EDC9 or whatever is an expensive but apparently great firearm.

I am personally drawn to the Dan Wesson DWX compact. CZ75 ergos and magazines, 1911 trigger and safety, and Browning tilt-barrel action make it a modern fusion of proven design.

I'd like to see where you land. I feel this is a conversation more and more people are having with themselves. I'm actually looking at .45s right now, just because i want one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    I see all the glowing recommendations, and comments such as "Upgrade my 1911 to...." OK, why is, say, an M&P 45 a sufficient improvement over a SIG 1911, commander length officer frame? Yes, I'm an old fart, but I can always learn something new, and effective defense more necessary than ever. I tried a Glock 21 several years ago, and simply could not stand the grip. The hump was more of an issue than the angle; the angle probably was close enough to others, but was distorted by the hump. I didn't want anything thick and bulky, as I carry the 1911 IWB.

I'd appreciate comments. I'd have to have a really good reason to change calibers.
    I have owned and Carried all makes,models and calibers. I like my plastic pistols but Honestly, I find myself still missing the 1911 platform. Funny I just stumbled across this thread because just this morning I was contemplating going back to a 1911 for carry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcore View Post
    I have owned and Carried all makes,models and calibers. I like my plastic pistols but Honestly, I find myself still missing the 1911 platform. Funny I just stumbled across this thread because just this morning I was contemplating going back to a 1911 for carry
    Don't do it. Save it for the range.
    8 shots, slide lock, you croak.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Don't do it. Save it for the range.
    8 shots, slide lock, you croak.
    Hahahahahaha!!! why?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Hahahahahaha!!! why?

When mass shooters or attacking gangs have ammo, and you don't, that puts you at a disadvantage.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hahahahahaha!!! why?
    I loved my 1911s. They're a refined beautiful machine. They have soul as no other pistol does. But when there's a minimal difference between terminal ballistics today between .45 and 9mm, and I can have 17+ rnds of 9mm in the one gun alone, and modern plastic wonder pistols such as the Vp9, M&P, etc has excellent ergos, ultra reliable, and very low maintenance, it's just a no brainer once you do the maths.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I loved my 1911s. They're a refined beautiful machine. They have soul as no other pistol does. But when there's a minimal difference between terminal ballistics today between .45 and 9mm, and I can have 17+ rnds of 9mm in the one gun alone, and modern plastic wonder pistols such as the Vp9, M&P, etc has excellent ergos, ultra reliable, and very low maintenance, it's just a no brainer once you do the maths.
    Will, I totally get it. It's just the whole silliness of "8 shots and you croak"
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    When mass shooters or attacking gangs have ammo, and you don't, that puts you at a disadvantage.
    Last time I saw attacking gangs who are armed the way you describe, it was in Mad Max. And I think some early on in The Walking Dead

What happens when attacking gangs are all jacked up with AKs and ARs and armor?
    Last edited by Arik; 06-05-20 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You go for a head shot and pick up an AR?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Will, I totally get it. It's just the whole silliness of "8 shots and you croak"Last time I saw attacking gangs who are armed the way you describe, it was in Mad Max. And I think some early on in The Walking Dead

Have you been watching the news. Lots of “gang ups” happening in the cities recently.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will, I totally get it. It's just the whole silliness of "8 shots and you croak"Last time I saw attacking gangs who are armed the way you describe, it was in Mad Max. And I think some early on in The Walking Dead

You die and hopefully not as the only body in the meat wagon, or what 26 inf said if luck/God/Allah/Shiva smiles on ye that day.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast