Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Better duty rifles in current production?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    What kind of proof round? An M197 round or a regular off-the-shelf 55 gr. round of some sort? Again, if they were doing it "right" I believe they would make it readily known.
    When I toured the factory in 2008 they were using proof rounds. They laser sight them and run standard cartridges to test builds the number depends on the contracts. You would have to ask them about the bolts and barrels but I would bet they are all tested and inspected per miltech specs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    re: Core781

I agree. A lot of people get caught up in the Gucci game AR-15's and Social Media frenzy. I want one that will work dirty, dusty, hot, cold, etc. Some might argue KAC is 'Gucci' but, for me at least, has proven to be the superior tool in my toolbox when I need to shoot something appropriate.

I wish years ago, I had gotten something from Sionics/SOLGW/CA or a similar boutique builder. I guess I'm a slow learner but, I finally got smart enough to buy a KAC, avoiding Larue, Springfield, etc.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 05-30-20 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    re: Core781

I agree. A lot of people get caught up in the Gucci game AR-15's and Social Media frenzy. I want one that will work dirty, dusty, hot, cold, etc. Some might argue KAC is 'Gucci' but, for me at least, has proven to be the superior tool in my toolbox when I need to shoot something appropriate.

I wish years ago, I had gotten something from Sionics/SOLGW/CA or a similar boutique builder. I guess I'm a slow learner but, I finally got smart enough to buy a KAC, avoiding Larue, Springfield, etc.
    I would not consider KAC to be boutique given that they have been respected in military and law circles for decades. For years KAC was the only manufacturer that made a better hammer. Im glad you're happy with it. If I ever purchase another factory AR it will be a Larue. Im very happy with my MBTs, mounts, etc. SOLGW make great parts, great quality and good prices. I don't have experience with Sionics. Since Colt Defense declared they would no longer sell to civilians, I have shifted to other similar quality alternatives. Needless to say I have memorized some good sources and know what to look for upon inspection. I just ordered a few E2 armory receiver sets, they shipped fast and they are every bit as well made as my Colts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Actually a lot of agencies fun 55gr ammo. Esp Federal TRU.
    Ah guess I'm out of my lane.
    Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.
    - Sailor Jerry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabNSR View Post
    Yeah but we're talking about duty rifles so 55gr is out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabNSR View Post
    Ah guess I'm out of my lane.
    Yep. Lots of 55 out there, some pretty darn decent.

And it's always worthy of a reminder: Bullet weight is only one variable in a complex equation.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My KAC is what really showed me what I was missing. I agree it's not a boutique company with large military contracts and its manufacturing capacity. After all, how many companies can mill a Krieger barrel with the Mod 2 gas system?

Boutique builders can build a really high-quality alternative to KAC though it won't have the E3 bolt or Mod 2 gas but, how many people really need those features, and at what cost? If giving up the E3 bolt and Mod 2 gas saves hundreds of dollars, that is probably a worthwhile tradeoff for many people.

Since Colt no longer sells commercially, many people are buying poor quality AR-15's. It is nice having good recommendations for a quality AR-15 like the ones mentioned in this thread that runs from ~$1,000 on the low-end to ~$1,500 for a lot of good options. This clearly is more accessible than the ~$2400 or so current KAC SR-15's run.

I should also note, that I also learned that Daniel Defense has apparently fixed their over-gassing issue, at least on some of their rifles. My initial experience with them wasn't too good but, I also see extra gas being beneficial in a harsh environment to power through tough conditions. Since I run suppressed, that experience for me was a negative one overall even though DD makes really good quality products.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    My KAC is what really showed me what I was missing. I agree it's not a boutique company with large military contracts and its manufacturing capacity. After all, how many companies can mill a Krieger barrel with the Mod 2 gas system?

Boutique builders can build a really high-quality alternative to KAC though it won't have the E3 bolt or Mod 2 gas but, how many people really need those features, and at what cost? If giving up the E3 bolt and Mod 2 gas saves hundreds of dollars, that is probably a worthwhile tradeoff for many people.

Since Colt no longer sells commercially, many people are buying poor quality AR-15's. It is nice having good recommendations for a quality AR-15 like the ones mentioned in this thread that runs from ~$1,000 on the low-end to ~$1,500 for a lot of good options. This clearly is more accessible than the ~$2400 or so current KAC SR-15's run.

I should also note, that I also learned that Daniel Defense has apparently fixed their over-gassing issue, at least on some of their rifles. My initial experience with them wasn't too good but, I also see extra gas being beneficial in a harsh environment to power through tough conditions. Since I run suppressed, that experience for me was a negative one overall even though DD makes really good quality products.
    DD fixed the gas ports over-sizing a few years ago, not exactly sure but it's been a while. Most manufacturers started the oversize gas port to solve commercial customers having issues shooting crap ammo a long time ago. Most DD customers are looking for something that can chew through hot 5.56N cartridges and lots of folks running suppressors on them. If you can't source a Colt or FN barrel, you should always gauge the gas port if your building and get a chart by barrel length and gas system type. It gets mildly complicated. There are plenty of $1000 AR that I would dare carry into harms way these days, no better time to get one, two, or three.. I am opinionated, but there are many good options. I also like the idea that I have a fighting gun not a safe queen that does not need to be insured by Lloyd's of London..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Yep. Lots of 55 out there, some pretty darn decent.

And it's always worthy of a reminder: Bullet weight is only one variable in a complex equation.
    Yes, military versus urban/civilian versus LEO needs are all different.

In my case, after living in apartments, then a house in suburbia, and now in rural Texas, things have changed. Using a rifle in an apartment or house in suburbia for me was out of the question. Out in the country, things are a bit different. I'm also raining @#$@! on feral hogs regularly as well and my rifle is no longer a just a range toy. The dog I DRT'ed the other day is something that would never have happened where I lived previously, though I probably wouldn't be dealing directly with Marijuana and Meth issues either (we can pick our friends but, not our 'neighbors').

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    DD fixed the gas ports over-sizing a few years ago, not exactly sure but it's been a while. Most manufacturers started the oversize gas port to solve commercial customers having issues shooting crap ammo a long time ago...
    Yes, that's were DPMS Oracle and similar rifles live.

Personally, I don't care if my rifle chokes on crap ammo from Walmart. I have other rifles to use if I want to run cheap ammo for general blasting.

These days, it is generally all Nato spec for me though, 'good' commercial ammunition gets some 'love' from me too, especially some of the Federal law enforcement options.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    And it runs though 1/7 (Sionics, Colt, etc) just fine. There is no reason whatsoever for 1/9 (Windham, Bushy, etc) twist barrels on guns meant to hammer two legged targets.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast