Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better duty rifles in current production?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Better duty rifles in current production?

I have had a few people ask me about better 'duty rifles' after watching me run my KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR. Sticker shock is also a problem with some people too! (I would rather own one really good rifle rather than a dozen 'cheap' rifles! )

In the past, a Colt 6920 was an easy recommendation along with Noveske.

These days I'm wondering about boutique builders that may offer a really good rifle at a price that isn't so far away from what more pedestrian rifles cost (like a KAC SR-15 versus something like a Springfield Saint for example).

Sons of Liberty and Sionics are two I have heard about but I don't have personal experience with and then there are some like Geissele with their new rifle line.

For non-Gucci service or duty grade AR-15 rifles, what are the better brands outside of the mainstream like BCM and Daniel Defense? For an 'average Joe or Jane' with a nominal $1500 budget that wants a serious AR-15 capable of hard use in a rifle class and not something to brag about on Social Media. What companies and brands are the better places to look for a hard use rifle, not a Gucci or Precision AR-15?

Personally, I have a strong affinity for KAC but over $2K for an AR-15 isn't realistic for most people. I regret not buying one a long time ago even when I was in a dumpy little apartment on the bad side of town after graduating college. For myself, I'm thinking about formal rifle classes but I keep getting asked about 'good' rifles so I need to broaden my focus some to point out solid rifles available today or next week, not backlogged for long periods, that would serve me well and make a good recommendation for someone else to consider.

Feedback Score
    I lean towards any company that offers chrome lined barrels so BCM, Sionics, and DD come to mind. Centurion Arms also offers a $1200 carbine with with their CMR and Geissele has their Super Duty LE for $850. If I had to to start all over again and couldn't afford and SR15, I'd get one of these.
    Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.
    - Sailor Jerry

Feedback Score
    That’s all I’d go with if you’re shying from KAC, BCM and DD. The names you put out. Sionics, Sons of Liberty, Geissele, and Colt. I would also add Centurion Arms. Tons of threads on this forum that go into detail on those brands if you need it. All good quality and all bring a little something different to the table (Geissele-gas system, CA-Barrels, Sionics-overall value). I’ve heard good things about Triarc Rifle Systems but I would put them on the Gucci side which is what you’re trying to avoid.

Really just a matter of pick a brand and wait for a sale.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A Sionics Patrol Rifle Three supplies everything you need in a good AR.. and it includes iron sights, a Raptor charging handle, ambi-safety, and QD end plate; items you often end up adding to other basic AR's. You can roll into that rifle for $1420.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabNSR View Post
    I lean towards any company that offers chrome lined barrels so BCM, Sionics, and DD come to mind. Centurion Arms also offers a $1200 carbine with with their CMR and Geissele has their Super Duty LE for $850. If I had to to start all over again and couldn't afford and SR15, I'd get one of these.
    The Geissele LE rifle for $850 looks like a really solid deal for someone with law enforcement credentials.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A Sionics Patrol Rifle Three supplies everything you need in a good AR.. and it includes iron sights, a Raptor charging handle, ambi-safety, and QD end plate; items you often end up adding to other basic AR's. You can roll into that rifle for $1420.
    That Sionics Patrol Rifle Three looks like a real easy upsell for anyone that would consider something like a Springfield Saint or similar rifle.

Feedback Score
    But how can you beat a rifle that is marketed as a "precision perimeter system". I mean it basically eliminates the need for officers at all. lol. :-D

Seems like a nice rifle tho.

https://www.knightarmco.com/12013/sh...pr-mod-2-m-lok
    Last edited by TomPenguin5145; 05-27-20 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own both of the Geissele Super Duty LE versions, 16" and pistol (is now living life as an SBR) and couldn't be more impressed with the quality. IMO, Geissele is offering the best deals to credentialed Officers right now. No other company is even close to their LEO deals. The 10.3" will be my patrol rifle as soon as our range opens back up and I take care of qualifying with it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...al-impressions
    Last edited by Robisten8; 05-26-20 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I have had a few people ask me about better 'duty rifles' after watching me run my KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR. Sticker shock is also a problem with some people too! (I would rather own one really good rifle rather than a dozen 'cheap' rifles! )

In the past, a Colt 6920 was an easy recommendation along with Noveske.

These days I'm wondering about boutique builders that may offer a really good rifle at a price that isn't so far away from what more pedestrian rifles cost (like a KAC SR-15 versus something like a Springfield Saint for example).
    Centurion Arms should be a definite brand for you to consider. I have some experience with them, as I own a 11.5 SBR made by them, as well as several of their lowers that I am using on other brand uppers (primarily Sig 516 and MCX Virtus). They produce a high quality rifle at a fair (not inexpensive, but also not KAC) price. The owner, Monty LeClair has tremendous experience in the AR arena as a Navy Seal sniper and also as the Navy's senior enlisted representative at the Navy Surface Warfare Center at Crane, Indiana. He sources most of his barrels from FN to his specs. In addition, the customer service provided is unbelievable. Monty's wife, Corrie, handles most of the communication for orders, follow-up, and questions, problems, etc. Although they have a semi-custom design form on their website for their rifles, you can pretty much get it built anyway you want by talking with them. I just can't recommend them enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Centurion Arms should be a definite brand for you to consider. I have some experience with them, as I own a 11.5 SBR made by them, as well as several of their lowers that I am using on other brand uppers (primarily Sig 516 and MCX Virtus). They produce a high quality rifle at a fair (not inexpensive, but also not KAC) price. The owner, Monty LeClair has tremendous experience in the AR arena as a Navy Seal sniper and also as the Navy's senior enlisted representative at the Navy Surface Warfare Center at Crane, Indiana. He sources most of his barrels from FN to his specs. In addition, the customer service provided is unbelievable. Monty's wife, Corrie, handles most of the communication for orders, follow-up, and questions, problems, etc. Although they have a semi-custom design form on their website for their rifles, you can pretty much get it built anyway you want by talking with them. I just can't recommend them enough.
    Next on my get-list is Centurion's AMTAC collaboration, here: https://www.centurionarms.com/AMTAC-.../amtac-rfl.htm
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast