Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Better duty rifles in current production?

Feedback Score
    It makes sense. Get LEOs kitted on a budget. I have heard so many officers who were unable to afford or get authorization for a purchase good carbine. I looked at their line and it’s impressive. Given the offerings for the Heavy Duty civilian line, it appears to be well worth the retail cost judging by the listed components it appears to be a really, well made gun. The underlying question: is it worth $2000? Doing a comparative analysis to a $1000 gun, is it worth the cost? Given a $1000 gun is combat ready, why need a gun that’s twice the cost? After studying parts quality for a handful of years I’m skeptical about wonder components as advertised and found many of these parts to be inferior to the military tech. Tests would be needed to verify the ROI of these Heavy Duty rifles.

Feedback Score
    I've had the privilege of using a Colt M4A1. If it didn't cycle just 2 drops of CLP in the bolt carrier and was good to go again. But that mainly just happened with blanks since they're very dirty and can barely cycle it anyway. So for a production rifle that would be a Colt LE6920 SOCOM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    I've had the privilege of using a Colt M4A1. If it didn't cycle just 2 drops of CLP in the bolt carrier and was good to go again. But that mainly just happened with blanks since they're very dirty and can barely cycle it anyway. So for a production rifle that would be a Colt LE6920 SOCOM.
    I never used blanks. I have heard the same by many who have. The operating stoppages of dirty Colt/FN M4s were typically resolved with a heavier buffer and a heavier spring. Run an H2 with a Sprinco extra power spring they have to get grossly filthy to fail. You would be surprised how a little extra spring will seat rounds better. In training I have to routinely use the FA due to the carbine springs having fed thousands of rounds a day. Usually a fresh spring would resolve the issue. And of course a good heavy lube makes them happy unless your working in the powder sand regions, and a dry lube is a little better. Personally I never had an issue with the old CLP or new CLP in sand but the action got pretty nasty after a serious sand storm. We didn’t have access to dry lube other than what the gunners applied in the armory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    It makes sense. Get LEOs kitted on a budget. I have heard so many officers who were unable to afford or get authorization for a purchase good carbine. I looked at their line and it’s impressive. Given the offerings for the Heavy Duty civilian line, it appears to be well worth the retail cost judging by the listed components it appears to be a really, well made gun. The underlying question: is it worth $2000? Doing a comparative analysis to a $1000 gun, is it worth the cost? Given a $1000 gun is combat ready, why need a gun that’s twice the cost? After studying parts quality for a handful of years I’m skeptical about wonder components as advertised and found many of these parts to be inferior to the military tech. Tests would be needed to verify the ROI of these Heavy Duty rifles.
    LGS in my area are selling the comparable LE version (sku 08-184B) for $1,175 and the regular Super Duty version (sku 08-188B) for $1,450.
    Just sayin'

By the way, when I say "my area" I live about 20 min from Geissele's North Wales, PA operation.
    Last edited by pcar157; 06-06-20 at 04:52.

Feedback Score
    I spoke to Corrie (Centurion Arms) the other day and she said they will be selling the bolts by themselves very soon and they do offer Mil/Leo pricing as well. I spoke to Monty the owner and asked him about his bolts and he did say they are on the same level as DD and Bcm. I plan on buying some spare bolts from him when they start selling them.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So back a few years ago the fitted Centurion bolt I purchased with my recce barrel had the circular lug cuts I've never seen anywhere other than on FN bolts. The bolt in their carrier was not the same.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar157 View Post
    It is interesting to note that the LE version is a lesser spec than the standard Super Duty rifle. Perhaps that is part of the reason the price is less than the standard Super Duty.
    Yeah but their "lesser spec" LE version still has the same if not better standards/features of other brands in that segment. However it also comes with the addition of an improved gas system length, standard ambi safety, more secure gas block installation. The lack of Geissele handguard, trigger, and some cosmetic options is clearly what keeps the price lower. While those things are nice, none of them enhance function and I'm sure the decision was made to make an affordable no frills "duty" rifle with lower cost.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is interesting to note that the LE version is a lesser spec than the standard Super Duty rifle. Perhaps that is part of the reason the price is less than the standard Super Duty.
    LGS in my area are selling the comparable LE version (sku 08-184B) for $1,175 and the regular Super Duty version (sku 08-188B) for $1,450.
    Just sayin' By the way, when I say "my area" I live about 20 min from Geissele's North Wales, PA operation.
    Still interested in your response to my earlier question...

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Sounds like you're into Geisseles. Which models do you own, and what kind of shooting do you do with them?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Yeah but their "lesser spec" LE version still has the same if not better standards/features of other brands in that segment. However it also comes with the addition of an improved gas system length, standard ambi safety, more secure gas block installation. The lack of Geissele handguard, trigger, and some cosmetic options is clearly what keeps the price lower. While those things are nice, none of them enhance function and I'm sure the decision was made to make an affordable no frills "duty" rifle with lower cost.
    I read these differences between the two on the Geissele site: LE version has a different/(lesser?): upper receiver, muzzle device, barrel, handguard, charging handle, BCG, trigger and stock. Perhaps you may consider these items do not enhance function. I'm sure Geissele may have a different opinion.

ST911: sorry, didn't see your question. At the present I do not own any Geissele products. However, I have done a lot of research on them for reasons other than potential ownership of their products.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score

LMT

It's a small sample but my last two LMT's Defender 2000s have been solid rifles. Though the prices seem on par with Colt or slightly higher. My last purchase was a basic LMT M4 16" rifle with plastic hand guards and ran about $1,300 including sales tax, and DROS. No complaints.

Catalog seems to have changed, mine came with a rear sight.

https://lmtdefense.com/product/spm16/

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast