Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Better duty rifles in current production?

Feedback Score
    My point was/is that Geissele calls them all "Super Duty" but they are not all the same. Caveat Emptor as the saying goes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Personally I'd rather source from a known quantity. I've only sourced two new complete rifles to date, both large frame LMT, and have an LMT CQBMLK16-MARS on order. Everything else has started with a complete lower usually sourced locally and ordered uppers or components for a build.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Centurion Arms 11.5: Awesome SBR rifle.

Attachment 62598
    very hard to beat that. nice rifle.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar157 View Post
    My point was/is that Geissele calls them all "Super Duty" but they are not all the same. Caveat Emptor as the saying goes.
    Thank you for pointing that difference out. Very difficult for the average (or busy) customer to know the difference without going into the weeds and specs.

Feedback Score
    What are your thoughts on the POF Renegade?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcar157 View Post
    Yes, but be aware the LE Super Duty (sku 08-184B) is significantly different than the standard Super Duty (sku 08-188LB). Not saying that at $850 it's not a great buy but don't think you are getting the standard Super Duty for that money.
    Just sayin'
    The biggest difference appears to the in railed vs. non-railed upper. I agree there is no "free lunch' but, for $850 it is still a very solid choice for many.

The other differences are not significant to most people, me included, in a rifle meant for normal uses (i.e. not competition) on a farm, in squad car, etc.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 05-27-20 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    Complete rifles, LMT MRP in any variant you want...
    I had one of those and found it to be a bit too heavy for my needs. The KAC has a longer barrel and handles much better for me. Plus, it is an awesome rig to smoke cow chasing dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like choices/variety as much as the next guy, but the OP mentioned 4 of the more respected brands out there. Not sure why you’d need to search beyond those brands for a solid duty carbine unless it’s purely for the sake of being different.

I love my BCM, and the two DD rifles (well, one is a complete rifle the other is a complete upper) that my Dad and best friend own shoot amazingly well. The beauty with BCM is you can buy the lower as a “blem” and purchase an upper separately anywhere from $435 to $800 depending on whether you want stripped, complete, polymer handguards with FSB, keymod/mlok/Picatinny rail, etc. With a small amount of buying savvy you can get a solid af midlength carbine for under a grand. Same goes for a Sons of Liberty patrol rifle or a basic Centurion Arms, though I only have experience with components from those companies, not complete rifles.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I love my BCM, and the two DD rifles (well, one is a complete rifle the other is a complete upper) that my Dad and best friend own shoot amazingly well. The beauty with BCM is you can buy the lower as a “blem” and purchase an upper separately anywhere from $435 to $800 depending on whether you want stripped, complete, polymer handguards with FSB, keymod/mlok/Picatinny rail, etc. With a small amount of buying savvy you can get a solid af midlength carbine for under a grand.
    $1050 or abouts is what we generally have between the lower (usually LMT ~$350) and the upper (~$700) as an M4 style front sight post and all. We have two BCM BFH with Centurion clamp style quad rails that are great shooters. The lower to me is the foundation, the upper can be whatever your heart desires. Good triggers and a B5 sopmod add to the cost, but those can be added over time.

"Hard use" is where it can get a bit more tricky, but any make can develop a problem. My new MRP sheared the ejector retaining pin. LMT took care of it but if you were in a class without a spare BCG (or bolt) you'd be sitting out. One BCM upper went back due to a canted FSB, but generally they all run great. I switch extractor springs over to the newer colt copper type without the o-ring "work-around".

Some rifles are systems like the SR15, SR25 and LMT MWS. Outside of those I don't think I'd steer someone away from selecting the best fit (quality and application wise) from a variety of mfgs, but you'll pay more than $850. I did buy one complete BCM lower to make a complete BCM rifle (M4 quad) but that lower just isn't my cup of tea. As always YMMV...

Feedback Score
    I've read (forgotten where might be this site) that LMT's chromed lined barrels are made differently as well. Apparently LMT orders barrels with oversized bores so that they can be chrome lined without the additional work of having to have the barrels bored out again then chromed lining them which can cause inconsistencies with barrels. Hopefully someone can word that better than me.
    Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good.
    - Sailor Jerry

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast