Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Better duty rifles in current production?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Heavier reciprocating mass means generally more reliability, slower bolt speed, better parts longevity. It’s never made sense to me why LMT gets a pass on semi auto BCGs in their relatively expensive basic ass rifles
    Are their BCG really light enough to affect BCG speed? It seems to me if that was an issue it would be pretty easy to add a little mass somewhere to keep overall BCG weights the same.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's been a non-issue ordering a complete lower, assembled upper, BCG of choice, and charging handle. It is a pain though as for the complete rifle I have on order with v1tactical, I ordered a FA carrier from Primary Arms. Usually switch out the buffer from standard carbine to H2.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Don’t they come with semi auto BCGs?
    I was referencing the posters intent to change config in that as a whole I’d run it as is....

That said, an LMT sa carrier wouldn’t be a concern. Their shit is GTG
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I have had a few people ask me about better 'duty rifles' after watching me run my KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR. Sticker shock is also a problem with some people too! (I would rather own one really good rifle rather than a dozen 'cheap' rifles! )

In the past, a Colt 6920 was an easy recommendation along with Noveske.

These days I'm wondering about boutique builders that may offer a really good rifle at a price that isn't so far away from what more pedestrian rifles cost (like a KAC SR-15 versus something like a Springfield Saint for example).

Sons of Liberty and Sionics are two I have heard about but I don't have personal experience with and then there are some like Geissele with their new rifle line.

For non-Gucci service or duty grade AR-15 rifles, what are the better brands outside of the mainstream like BCM and Daniel Defense? For an 'average Joe or Jane' with a nominal $1500 budget that wants a serious AR-15 capable of hard use in a rifle class and not something to brag about on Social Media. What companies and brands are the better places to look for a hard use rifle, not a Gucci or Precision AR-15?

Personally, I have a strong affinity for KAC but over $2K for an AR-15 isn't realistic for most people. I regret not buying one a long time ago even when I was in a dumpy little apartment on the bad side of town after graduating college. For myself, I'm thinking about formal rifle classes but I keep getting asked about 'good' rifles so I need to broaden my focus some to point out solid rifles available today or next week, not backlogged for long periods, that would serve me well and make a good recommendation for someone else to consider.
    If this is a duty rifle, and you are required/authorized to have it, do you not write of the cost as it is necessity required for your job? If this is the case, then you should look at the best rifle you can afford- which appears to be what your question is. There are still Colt's available but on the used market it seems, Noveske is available, as is KAC and DD apparently. Why not get one of those as your life, and potentially mine, may be be reliant upon it. You can mess around with whichever other rifles for personal time later could you not?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently bought a Radian Arms model 1 with a 10.5 in barrel. Love it, very smooth shooting. Pricey at $2100

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabNSR View Post
    1/9 twist and doesn't say if bolts are HPT, MPI, or Shot-peened. They also don't say anything about HPT or MPI about their barrels and are asking for Colt prices. I'd rather stick with the other brands.
    They sell foreign military contracts and keep their production parts for their duty models the same with variations for specific contract needs. The component quality has gone up since they sold Bushmaster quite a bit. I believe the barrels are similar but parts are made better and finished exceptionally well. You can ask about the barrels and bolts and they will clarify it. They used to HPT and MPI the barrels, I saw the machines at the factory. They also air gauge the barrels and are pretty strict about margin of error. If I recall correctly they also test the bolts. They also proof each gun in a proof range. The duty models for contracts typically are fed 90-200 rounds. I would also guess they purchase the BCGs from a contractor who makes them for govt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venillian View Post
    If this is a duty rifle, and you are required/authorized to have it, do you not write of the cost as it is necessity required for your job? If this is the case, then you should look at the best rifle you can afford- which appears to be what your question is. There are still Colt's available but on the used market it seems, Noveske is available, as is KAC and DD apparently. Why not get one of those as your life, and potentially mine, may be be reliant upon it. You can mess around with whichever other rifles for personal time later could you not?
    The people I run into don't have deep pockets and the few that are CLEO's that I run into don't have a city board that will reimburse them for anything that doesn't protect them from a lawsuit. So yes, maybe a DPMS or similar bargain basement AR-15 but not a KAC SR-15 or similar rifle. Some of them won't even apply for one of the surplus government M-16's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hextall View Post
    I recently bought a Radian Arms model 1 with a 10.5 in barrel. Love it, very smooth shooting. Pricey at $2100
    Those have a very good reputation for a Gucci rifle for various sporting uses. I considered one before buying my KAC SR-15 which is only a little more expensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    The people I run into don't have deep pockets and the few that are CLEO's that I run into don't have a city board that will reimburse them for anything that doesn't protect them from a lawsuit. So yes, maybe a DPMS or similar bargain basement AR-15 but not a KAC SR-15 or similar rifle. Some of them won't even apply for one of the surplus government M-16's.
    I understand that but there would be nothing to say that you could not write this off your income tax as a job related expense. Or is there?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venillian View Post
    I understand that but there would be nothing to say that you could not write this off your income tax as a job related expense. Or is there?
    With a $12K individual deductible, most officers probably won't have enough expenses to exceed that so, in practical terms no tax write-off though, I didn't sleep in Holiday Inn Express and I am not a tax accountant. YMMV.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast