Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Setups for my Family

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rifle Setups for my Family

Recently my wife and I settled on keeping Gen 5 Glock 19s with Ameriglos as our only pistols. This means I only have one type of mag in the house, and we know that if we are grabbing a pistol it's going to be a G19. No more Sigs and such in the mix.

I decided to do the same with rifles, and ultimately I wanted to have one for me, and one that can be at home for my wife or whoever is there if I'm out shooting/hunting/etc with a rifle. I have two young boys so I wanted a third to have for them as they grow up. I don't want to worry about what I might not be allowed to buy in the future.

I bought three standard BCM complete lowers, and three standard 16" middy ELW 13" MCMR uppers, since it was less expensive than three complete rifles. Each ended up right around $1200.

I would like to have each rifle set up with it's own kit and not be dependent on each other. I'd also like them all three identical, and ready to go today.

Dollars do matter, but I want decent quality stuff.

Right now I'm thinking 6 USGI mags and one case of XM193 per rifle. Probably enough bonded 62gr or 77gr OTM for each rifle to have 2-3 mags worth.

Optics can be a huge money pit, especially if doing BUIS.

I initially wanted all to have nice irons (Troy, etc.) but I don't use irons as primary, and my wife certainly does not. Across three rifles that would be $600.

Right now I'm considering just putting a Vortex Crossfire on each and calling it a day. I'd put a spare battery in each grip as well.

I like everyone's different experience and opinions here so thought I'd post up and see if anyone wanted to chime in.

Does this seem like a reasonably thought out ordeal?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why not let each person pick out their optic preference? Consider weapon mounted lights too. A reasonably priced light is the Streamlight ProTac HL-X.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Personally I'd buy Aimpoint PROs for each. I know they are significantly more expensive than the Vortexs, but I'm a firm believer in the Aimpoint Koolaid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own three Crossfires, and two of them have gone back to Vortex because of failures. There's no way I'd trust my life to one.

Take the money received from the sale of your other guns and put it toward the optics. I personally wouldn't put a full sized optic on lightweight AR, so that leaves either the T2 or MRO. I've got both, and they've worked great.

It would be very wise to get a third G19 for use as a spare. The 3rd BCM can be used as the spare until the boys are old enough to use it, but at that point, a 4th would be a wise acquisition....so ya might as well get it now (well, at least before the upcoming election).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I bought three standard BCM complete lowers, and three standard 16" middy ELW 13" MCMR uppers, since it was less expensive than three complete rifles. Each ended up right around $1200.

----------

Right now I'm considering just putting a Vortex Crossfire on each and calling it a day. I'd put a spare battery in each grip as well.

----------

Does this seem like a reasonably thought out ordeal?

No - $1200 rifles with $120 optics wrong on so many levels.

You should have thought out a budget for the 'project' beforehand to see that buying $3600 of rifles but not having more $$$ devoted to optics is folly.

I would have recommended buying 2 rifles and using the funds from the 3rd to buy suitable optics for them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The only red dot for long term use is Aimpoint. Period.

Take your time and set 'em up right.

Feedback Score
    I have Aimpoints and a Crossfire. Very distinct difference. Both in quality and price. If you want to have them all operational then throw the Crossfires on them then maybe every year replace them with an Aimpoint as budget allows. I’d also pick up a fixed front sight. The DD ones are good quality and aren’t super pricey.

I wouldn’t leave the battery on the Crossfire like you can with an Aimpoint. In my sample size of one the battery in the Crossfire died pretty quick when left on.

I second the Streamlight Protac HLX. It’s a quality budget light.

Feedback Score
    It's like budgeting for just one small police unit/team/beat (one shift's worth of people).
    Choices are made, which can lead to some procurement mistakes. Despite one's best intentions, these mistakes may occur. If/when it happens, we move on and buy again. Sometimes things are lost or damaged. We buy again (or go without).

Also, consider spare guns/parts/equipment, for those times when something is lost/broken; or go without until repaired/replaced.

Sometimes, a budget needs to be split, such as optics/ammo/accessories coming at a later budget period.

If only one rifle system for the family can be afforded one year, that's the way it goes until next year's budget.

Actually, ammo should be an ongoing cost for practice/training.

For my ex-department, we went with Colt and the old carry-handle-iron-sights. It was years before optics were bought (usually Eotech), but not for every AR15; and this required an LEO to go through the entire multi-day AR15 class again before the LEO could carry an AR15 with the optic. Sorry, but I digressed.
    Last edited by L-2; 05-26-20 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I have four Crossfires. I have one on a beater AR, one on my backup 14.5, one on my 590A1, and one was an offset RDS on my primary AR. I bought one used and it showed up dead, but I have yet to have any other issues so I fully recommend getting three of those and upgrading as budget allows.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would step down in price concerning BUIS by going with Magpul, and step up in price by going with Aimpoint PROs. The polymer Magpul BUIS have proven to be tough, and at the end of the day they are your back up, not primary, sighting system. I also prefer Magpul M3 mags over USGI. Take your time, buy quality, and you'll only have to buy once. Literally no one I shoot with who has gone with that set-up has given it a second thought beyond lube, ammo, and springs as normal.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast