Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rifle Setups for my Family

Feedback Score
    This is the way. I would have gone with Eotechs for home defense...

Feedback Score
    I am doing something similar in an effort to ensure the family is prepared for the future. I like the idea of Red Dot, but due to some vision stuff am considering a 3X red dot. Any issues I am adding to the mix using a 3X vs. a 1x?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Rapp View Post
    I am doing something similar in an effort to ensure the family is prepared for the future. I like the idea of Red Dot, but due to some vision stuff am considering a 3X red dot. Any issues I am adding to the mix using a 3X vs. a 1x?
    Yes. You really want a 1x. First, for a carbine if you have a threat at home at 400 meters you can hit it with a red dot or holo with no magnification. If you are engaging threats outside 400 meters, you should have a SPR/DMR type rifle with a 4-10x+ scope. The problem lies in close quarters environments. I would not recommend a 3x for CQB type engagements which is the most probable threat you will encounter. Red dots non magnified are great, but I prefer the Eotech holo-sights because they are light and fast, and the ring dot provides additional capability if you train accordingly. Holo-sights are also faster than dots when you are dealing with fast moving targets. Dots are also very fast, but not as forgiving in movement. Don't expect the threat to stand still, and don't expect a 3x to get the job done up close, you would be better with irons or point shooting up close than using a 3x. If you live in open country and have 18" barrels, then you may want a variable power optic that runs 1x-8x-10x etc. but don't expect a LPVO in a 30mm tube to perform like a Red dot or holo in CQB engagements.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Yes. You really want a 1x. First, for a carbine if you have a threat at home at 400 meters you can hit it with a red dot or holo with no magnification. If you are engaging threats outside 400 meters, you should have a SPR/DMR type rifle with a 4-10x+ scope. The problem lies in close quarters environments. I would not recommend a 3x for CQB type engagements which is the most probable threat you will encounter. Red dots non magnified are great, but I prefer the Eotech holo-sights because they are light and fast, and the ring dot provides additional capability if you train accordingly. Holo-sights are also faster than dots when you are dealing with fast moving targets. Dots are also very fast, but not as forgiving in movement. Don't expect the threat to stand still, and don't expect a 3x to get the job done up close, you would be better with irons or point shooting up close than using a 3x. If you live in open country and have 18" barrels, then you may want a variable power optic that runs 1x-8x-10x etc. but don't expect a LPVO in a 30mm tube to perform like a Red dot or holo in CQB engagements.
    Thank you @Core781 Appreciate the info. Is there a specific Eotech sight I should check out? Everything currently is MagPul Pros, but plan to add the red dots over time. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Post_64,
    https://www.eotechinc.com/eotech-hws-xps2

Research/read-up and see if this XPS2 model might fit your needs/wants.
    I bought a similar special OpticsPlanet version a couple years ago:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/exps2...holosight.html

Determine if you need/want night vision capability (I chose a version without night vision capability).
    Decide what reticle you'd like (I wanted the single-dot version).
    I liked the transversely-mounted CR123 battery. I liked how my Eotech came with a quick-release mount built-in.

Note, I've also got two Trijicon MRO sights and a Vortex 1-6x Razor on various rifles. They're all good. Price & availability can vary over time.

There's also an OPTICS & MOUNTS sub-forum here for more specific discussion:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...ics-amp-Mounts
    Last edited by L-2; 06-29-20 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Nice work so far. I use the BE Meyers they are egregiously expensive right now due to low stock, but in my mind they are the best FH. I emailed BE Meyers to when they will release some more stock. you may be able to score some for a reasonable price on forums due to the trend for WARCOMPS. The Meyers can ring, you can put a wire on them to silence them, and they are tough and four pronged like the SUREFIRE mil contracts that you could not get for a long time. They cut the flash to everything I have shot extremely well. Flash will get you killed in low light, so the price of the FH is less important to me personally considering I use a minimalist setup on my carbines. Some companies will not pin and weld them due to the materials they are made out of, which I have yet to have an issue pinning and welding one myself and I'm not an expert machinist by any means. Recommend an end mill and cutting fluid in a solid clamp: but they can be drilled once started properly with cutting fluid. With 16" you don't have to worry about it. There are some other good FH out there, but they are all the older models. The hybrids do not work well. Best to stick to a real FH, preferably four prong. If you can't find a Meyers I recommend Smith, YHM, or A1/A2. You can't go wrong with a A2 for the money.
    BE Meyers is no longer in the business of manufacturing flash hiders: They have sold the rights to manufacture flash hiders using the patents and technologies in the 249F to JP Enterprises. It is my understanding that Hurricane-Butterfly has the last batch of 249Fs that BE Meyers will ever make.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    First off, I wouldn’t get rid of that Daniel Defense rifle.

You put together a solid setup with those BCM’s. Several years ago, I did a similar project for my kids, using Colt 6920’s as a base gun. If my kids were younger and I were doing the same thing today, those BCM’s would most likely be what I would chose.

The main thing I would have done differently is to go with MagPul M3 PMAGS. But your choice is solid.

Over time, My goal would be 1x AR and 1x Glock 19 for every member of the household.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Aimpoint is the well known goto. If money is tight, get one of the cheaper options with BUIS as well. My favorite for a cheapie is Sig Romeo 5. Takes the same mounts as Aimpoint T1.

Maybe buy one Aimpoint and two Budget optics until you can afford more Aimpoints.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567