Thread: Ruger ar556 aftermarket handguard?

Feedback Score

Ruger ar556 aftermarket handguard?

Someone I know has one of these with the m4 style Handguards.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8500.html

Any way to drop a rail on this thing? He needs a light and a sling and Id like to avoid clamping crap to the barrel if possible.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Any standard drop in rail should fit. The delta ring is different than most in that it's threaded instead of held by a spring, but it holds the handguard the same.

If you're not worried about having something free floated, a magpul SL handguard would be the easy button, or a drop in aluminum handguard from MI (they have picatinny and M-lok models).

I think the actual barrel nut under the ring is close enough the GI that a drop in free float rail like the Omega from Daniel Defense would also work.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Maybe something like this.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...r-20g2-blk.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    Ok, thanks. Magpul will be the likely direction.
    I didnt realize they would fit.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've replaced two friends delta rings that they split while attempting to install rails on the Rugers.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Any standard drop in rail should fit. The delta ring is different than most in that it's threaded instead of held by a spring, but it holds the handguard the same.

If you're not worried about having something free floated, a magpul SL handguard would be the easy button, or a drop in aluminum handguard from MI (they have picatinny and M-lok models).

I think the actual barrel nut under the ring is close enough the GI that a drop in free float rail like the Omega from Daniel Defense would also work.
    I'm not sure a Magpul SL handguard would work given Ruger's funky ass FSB. I would confirm before buying. The standard MOE shouldn't be a problem.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I'm not sure a Magpul SL handguard would work given Ruger's funky ass FSB. I would confirm before buying. The standard MOE shouldn't be a problem.
    That's good point. I remember a buddy installing one on a Ruger a while back, but I don't know if he had to trim anything to make it work.

There's one video of YouTube of someone installing an SL, and they don't mention any issues with fitment, but again there also aren't any shots close enough to the FSB to really see if there's any interference.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    That's good point. I remember a buddy installing one on a Ruger a while back, but I don't know if he had to trim anything to make it work.

There's one video of YouTube of someone installing an SL, and they don't mention any issues with fitment, but again there also aren't any shots close enough to the FSB to really see if there's any interference.

Looks like it works. Thanks.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    His has a railed gas block. Looks like it will work.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I took a chance on this handguard. Wanted something a bit different and liked the built in quick detach sling mounts. I know Fab has a bit of a sketchy rep, but this handguard is actually quite nice, with a robust heat shield. About $30.

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/categ...platforms.html