Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Setups for my Family

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    If going with a cheaper red dot sight, I think primary arms is a better choice then vortex, I would probably go holosun over them also after owning them all.

That being said, if you can, I would save up for something better. I prefer the MRO over the pro, but either is a fine choice.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    If going with a cheaper red dot sight, I think primary arms is a better choice then vortex, I would probably go holosun over them also after owning them all.

That being said, if you can, I would save up for something better. I prefer the MRO over the pro, but either is a fine choice.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk
    While I really like the MRO as well, I don't believe it fares as well in parallax tests as the 30mm Aimpoints. (I own a CompM2, two PROs, and a MRO.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For good quality and reasonably priced optics, I would recommend either the Trijicon MRO (preferred), the Aimpoint PRO, or Aimpoint ACO. For BUISs, you may want to consider the Midwest Industries Combat Rifle Sights. At $149.95, they are good quality and a great buy. That still leaves you about $450 for a nice optic on each AR.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...mi-crs-set.htm
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Troy Folding Battle Sights are often on sale for $120 a set. If you need the rifles up and running, I would get the red dots first and set up email notifications for the back-up sights as they become available or budget allows. Reputable red dots from Aimpoint and Trijicon would minimize the need for BUIS, anyway. You could then add the back-ups later for reassurance.

I personally wasn't impressed with the Streamlight RM1/2 lights mostly because of the quality of the tape switch and cables. The cable jacket was broken at the strain-reliefs right out of the box. I supposed the tailcap switches wouldn't be an issue but I ended up going with Surefire. Another budget light option that's ambidextrous is a full-size pistol light (e.g. TLR-1) mounted at 12 o'clock. Then you wouldn't mind missing iron sights as they compete for the same rail space, lol.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    All this goes on the assumption that everyone in the family has the same vision and wants the same setup. MY family: 4 rifles, 2 different optics. My son wears glasses and prefers irons. My daughter likes the MRO and my wife and I are on T2's. Even if you consider something like a T2 an "upgrade", not everyone wants it...

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I think you and I are tracking on fairly parallel paths. I trimmed down to one 4” and one 5” PPQ M2; different weaponlights. Down to two AR’s (one short and one 16” upper for each) plus an M&P15-22 for the kids as they grow.

For optics, MRO would be my reflexive choice for what you describe. However... Everyone’s eyes are different; and, time (tech development) passes quickly. Why not hold off on the third optic for a while? I’d also consider a UH-1 as an alternative, but I don’t have enough time behind mine yet, and again tech may improve.

For backup sights, unless I were trying to just spend money, Magpul MBUS used to be $50/set at PSA. Alternatively, fixed DD irons are OK. I guess I try to get reliable optics and truly view backups as backups.
    I don’t mind throwing a little money around on good deals, so I have a A2 FSB/BCM(Troy) and a fixed DD front/Midwest Combat on guns. But another two uppers with just the optic or dual optics.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    If you’re worried about lack of availability in the future, maybe get another quality bolt for each, gas rings, extractor kits, or other wear parts. I’d get another K of ammo each as well. It’s doubtful optics will be under legal restriction (other than maybe NV). Get DD fixed sights and let each shooter choose optics as they’d like in the future as budget allows.

Feedback Score
    Get aimpoint pros or MROs from Trijicon. I have a holosun but can’t say my co in it since I’ve barely used it. Budget gun with optic next time. That’s why you see ass clowns on Instagram with a scar and irons or a Noveske or LaRue with a strike Eagle. Optics are important you look through an optic twice as much as you actually fire rounds. I would also get at least one with a magnifier optic some sort of 1-6,3-9, 2.5-10. I prefer LPVO’s over red dots but one should have a variable power optic. Get streamlight HLX rail mounts. They’re a good mix of affordability and durability. If you’re going to have 6 mags per gun each gun should have a chest rig of some sort. Doesn’t need to be spiritus or extreme gear labs but some sort of equipment to carry said loadout should be had.

Feedback Score
    The cheapest optic I would consider is the Trijicon MRO and then Aim point. Wouldn’t trust my life to anything cheaper. As far as magazines and stand alone I would acquire 10 a piece. And the one thing you are missing is money for training. Don’t forget the training.
    Last edited by PrarieDog; 05-26-20 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I think OP is approaching this wrong. Guns, ammo, mags, spares. Until you have a rifle for each of your sons don't worry about optics. Cross that bridge when you get there. By the time they're ready to use them there may be 10oz, 1-12x German/Japanese glass that costs $300.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast