Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Setups for my Family

Feedback Score
    While I believe in compatibility, I do not believe in making your children share a weapon. I believe that having your own firearms fosters a sense of ownership and responsibility. This is the way I raised the Warrior Princesses and it has paid off (and, although they are in their 30’s they still have the firearms they started out with). The “baby” still qualifies Expert when her outfit goes to the Range...

The other thing is mags, the more the better. (I load up at home and spend my range time shooting.) Mags wear out, get damaged, etc. when you use them enough.

Just my $0.02...

Feedback Score
    I just bought two Sig Romeo 4S’, and I am impressed with them so far. I bought them after playing with my buddy’s work MPX. Made in USA, light weight, uses common batteries, with the solar panel has battery life of 100,000 hours, and I can change reticles to match Eotech. About the same price as a MRO which I have and like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Re Optics: I've got Crossfire, PRO, and EOTech mounted on various rifles. My SHTF choice is EOTech. I'm on target fast and can reach out as far as I'll ever need to.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I bought three standard BCM complete lowers, and three standard 16" middy ELW 13" MCMR uppers, since it was less expensive than three complete rifles. Each ended up right around $1200.

Optics can be a huge money pit, especially if doing BUIS.

Right now I'm considering just putting a Vortex Crossfire on each and calling it a day. I'd put a spare battery in each grip as well.

I like everyone's different experience and opinions here so thought I'd post up and see if anyone wanted to chime in.

Does this seem like a reasonably thought out ordeal?
    $200 BUIS and a $120 red dot is not a wise use of resources IMHO. Remember that BUIS are back-up-iron-sights, not your primary sighting system. You don't need Troy or any other $200 BUIS if budget is an issue. Even though I don't like them, the plastic Magpul MBUS are like $50/set and work fine for the role of back up irons. They could be upgraded sometime down the road if you wanted to.

The red dot optic is going to be your primary sighting system on a rifle that you, your wife, or son may have to use to defend themselves. This isn't the place to cheap out in my opinion. With as many people that are out of work right now and needing money, there are a lot of optics showing up for sale on forums and TacSwap for good prices. In the past I've purchased used Aimpoint CompM2's for as little as $200, one of which I still have and is still going strong. Used PRO's and micro T1/H1's are out there as well for more money. Throwing a Vortex red dot on there now just feels like building a new home and putting Home Depot cabinets in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    No - $1200 rifles with $120 optics wrong on so many levels.

You should have thought out a budget for the 'project' beforehand to see that buying $3600 of rifles but not having more $$$ devoted to optics is folly.

I would have recommended buying 2 rifles and using the funds from the 3rd to buy suitable optics for them.
    Preach.

Feedback Score
    the whole family is set up with iron sights. Thats what the wife and her father want, That's what they get.

Feedback Score
    I would go with 2 used aimpoint pros off of the EE or wait till RKB Armory gets more. You could snag 2 used ones for $600 which is about what 3 of the vortex would cost with decent mounts. Your boys are young so grab another when budget allows.

If you want to stay in the budget category maybe look into Holosun circle dots or Swampfox blade

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm more of a 'spiral up' type guy.

Get one rifle the way you want it with other lowers around - validate you like the setup, then do another as time / money allows and spiral up - either identical or a variation.

SOOOO many people buy a bunch of shit and then realize it isn't good or doesn't work for them.

Then you get all the "Taking another route...." deals on the EE.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for all the posts guys. I appreciate it. It’s why I made the OP.

As far as optics go I’ll probably just wait. I’ve had an MRO and it’s okay. I like the form factor but the parallax issues were bad for me.

My only other AR is a DDM4V7SLW (14.5 PW) with DD irons and a T2 in a DD mount. I have 10 DD mags, a BFG sling, and a few thousand rounds of XM193, 62gr Fed bonded, and Black Hills Mk262. Been wanting to get one of the new Surefire scouts.

I said I was going to replace it with one of the BCMs but I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. Never had any problems and it shoots great. Handles like a dream too. My only issue is the finger nub on the pistol grip. I’ve been thinking about sanding it off but don’t want to bubba anything up.

It may be better to just keep the spares put away and set them up in the future. I just hate having any guns around that aren’t set up and ready to go. It’s not an issue of not being able to spend the money or not having it, it’s that I’m a Scrooge and hate spending big bucks on stuff that isn’t actively being used. I live very simply but the things I do have are high quality and well used.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 05-27-20 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I just hate having any guns around that aren’t set up and ready to go.
    Maybe just throw some used sets of DD sights on them, so good to go if absolutely needed. I keep an extra set or two around myself. Seems to me like you have this locked down overall.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t know how much pistol ammo you and your wife shoot every year but, depending on that answer, I’d strongly consider additional G19s to use as training guns to save wear and tear on your primary defensive pistols. Shoot enough rounds to validate that your defensive pistols function with your defensive ammunition and then only shoot them once or twice a year when cycling through carry ammo. Everything else (practice, training classes, competition) gets done with your training pistols.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast