Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: MMC Armory (Minnies Machine Company) Gov Contract 14.5” Socom Barrels

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would imagine these would be good barrels to cut down to a 12.5". I've never had a barrel cut before, that doesn't take away from the accuracy of the barrel does it? This is after using a reputable gunsmith of course.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nothing from ARFcom should be taken seriously without thorough vetting.

If these were the originall $199, I might grab another. At $229, and not needing one, I'm going to resist.

Agreed, too many clowns and zero moderation for technical content have watered down whatever legit info is posted over there. Add in that everyone of any note or serious knowledge seems to have been driven off the site. I'm not sure what Brownells was thinking, but if arf ever closed, this place would become a zoo in short order.

I also agree that if the barrel was $200, I would make an order right now. I have a decent pile of barrels in my barrel drawer already, so barring a great deal, it isn't worth it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfAGunn View Post
    I would imagine these would be good barrels to cut down to a 12.5". I've never had a barrel cut before, that doesn't take away from the accuracy of the barrel does it? This is after using a reputable gunsmith of course.
    Nope. And you don't need port work either. Years back, one of the SMEs here was with an agency or something that made this very modification to LMT barrels, I believe. Guns ran good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Serious question...

How much full auto fire can a barrel like this take before accuracy starts to erode or damage is caused?

Does reducing barrel length (on a carbine gas system like this) from 14.5 to 12.5 change enough mass to have any impact on the above question?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Serious question...

How much full auto fire can a barrel like this take before accuracy starts to erode or damage is caused?

Does reducing barrel length (on a carbine gas system like this) from 14.5 to 12.5 change enough mass to have any impact on the above question?
    I remember reading some sort of rate of fire test by the military that compared the standard M4 barrel to the SOCOM. Not sure if a google search would yield anything...
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nope. And you don't need port work either. Years back, one of the SMEs here was with an agency or something that made this very modification to LMT barrels, I believe. Guns ran good.
    That's great to hear, I feel better cutting one of these as opposed to a Colt even though it doesn't affect accuracy to reliability.

Thanks,

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Nothing from ARFcom should be taken seriously without thorough vetting.
    A lot of truth right there.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfAGunn View Post
    That's great to hear, I feel better cutting one of these as opposed to a Colt even though it doesn't affect accuracy to reliability.

Thanks,
    Barrel cutting in itself won't hurt accuracy. My MMC barrel is gassed a little rich (no over gassed, but gassed to run). 12.5" would make a sweet shooter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer a port a little rich as well. I ordered one last night and as soon as it comes in it's getting shipped right back out to get cut. I'm assuming these are button rifled and not CHF, not that it REALLY matters to me. Just curios, I didn't see it specified on the site I purchased mine from.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Since they're mil contract barrels, I'd assume button rifling.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast