Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: MMC Armory (Minnies Machine Company) Gov Contract 14.5” Socom Barrels

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    https://youtu.be/u39EiwU0-QQ?t=1077

What does "barrel extension not clocked" mean? I'm thinking that it has to be clocked or else the M4 feed ramps wouldn't line up. Does he simply mean that it's not clocked as precisely as it should be? What are the consequences?
    Can't click on that here at work, but if it's just the feedramps, that's a common finding on even Colt guns. But with the volume of these uppers that they cranked out, there could be some lemons in the bunch.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'm the video creator.

Clocked means either the barrel index pin notch in the upper is not in the right position, OR the barrel extension is not timed correctly when they drill the index pin. This will lead to a Barrel Extension that isn't timed right.

If the barrel extension is clocked, the bolt lugs will hit the barrel extension lugs when the bolt goes in and out of battery. Some light contact won't cause severe issues but the inherent flex in most uppers when they are fired can amplify the contact.

If it's clocked badly, you won't get full barrel extension/bolt lug contact. That's bad/dangerous.

I disagree completely with the comments about Colt M4 Ramps having problems. I have serviced about 11k AR's, and M4 Ramp problems are rare on Colts, other brands, not so much.
    Last edited by SOTAR; 08-11-20 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I disagree completely with the comments about Colt M4 Ramps having problems. I have serviced about 11k AR's, and M4 Ramp problems are rare on Colts, other brands, not so much.
    I'm basing that off of pics posted here of a Colt or two over the years. I think I may have a gun or two with slight mis-matching, but I'd have to look. It may well be very rare/could be my sloppy memory making me think it's more common than it is.

I did try shooting some 77gr OTMs Sunday. Still can't get that sub MOA group. Shot about like the TMKs at 1-1/2" or so. We're so spoiled that we expect every gun to shoot .75 MOA
    Last edited by markm; 08-11-20 at 14:28.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    clandestine, Thanks for the explanation.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm basing that off of pics posted here of a Colt or two over the years. I think I may have a gun or two with slight mis-matching, but I'd have to look. It may well be very rare/could be my sloppy memory making me think it's more common than it is.

I did try shooting some 77gr OTMs Sunday. Still can't get that sub MOA group. Shot about like the TMKs at 1-1/2" or so. We're so spoiled that we expect every gun to shoot .75 MOA
    Combat effective is a term I think more people need to become acquainted with. Bad guys aren't going to complain about a 2 moa group on their chest at 300 meters.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Combat effective is a term I think more people need to become acquainted with. Bad guys aren't going to complain about a 2 moa group on their chest at 300 meters.
    No doubt. We've lost our minds in the precision realm. I've kept the LPVO on it and was smacking the 750 yd steel with 8 power. It's an enjoyable gun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Finally got to get out and play with my build. These two were at 50 yards seated but unsupported. Sight was an Aimpoint M4S. Ammo was .223 PMC Bronze.

I was pretty happy to see this. I had 3 quick shots at 10 yards using a Proctor target to make sure I was on paper and in decent shape and then a few more at 50 to make sure it was on. Then I started playing around. I had a big NRA 200 yard target set up and was just holding on different points of it. I wasn't aware of the groups until I got home and checked out the target backer board. The 100 yard target was just steel, but I was clanging away at it with no issue.

- Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not bad for ball ammo. Add magnification and OTMs and no telling. I pulled the scope and bipod off of mine. I'm bringing it back into a regular RDS short range configuration.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    At least it makes me feel better about the purchase. I’m just a hack, I’m confident this rifle would do well in competent hands.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 09-02-20 at 11:20.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    At least it makes me feel better about the purchase. I’m just a hack, I’m confident this rifle would do well in competent hands.
    Just depends on your needs. It's doing great for its role as a combat barrel. We just always try to make everything a precision rig because we're nuts.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast