Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COLT AR Built As a Rifle and Transformed into a Pistol Legal ?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

COLT AR Built As a Rifle and Transformed into a Pistol Legal ?

Saw this advertisement and there's no mention of Pistol engraved on the receiver etc. I don't know if ole' Roland knows what he's doing and I don't want to find out the hard way, in fact I think I'll just stay away and be a as far away as I can be observer.. It looks cool but is it practical ? No it's not and not concealable. Takes a Big Rig to hide that ....

https://texasguntrader.com/category/...RY-HANDLE.html

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    If 4473 says pistol or other, then g2g, no?

Edit: idk, I think I'd steer clear regardless

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nocaster; 05-27-20 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here's what I asked the person that listed the firearm;

What does the 4473 say about this weapon, is it a pistol or other ? Who put this together ? When the rifle was built at Colt, it was registered as a rifle.. Now that it has been modified/converted this is a really iffy situation as anybody gets caught with it in their possession they can be charged with possession of a short barreled rifle SBR without the proper documentation. Who paid the manufacturing tax on this weapon ? If you can answer these questions for me then let me decide what to do from there but this firearm is very questionable at the moment. There's a discussion on this firearm on www.M4Carbine.net in the NFA Forum

Now let's see if the individual who listed the firearm responds to my questions. I'm only interested to see if this individual went thru the necessary steps to do this correctly instead of slapping it all together and letting some poor fool get nailed with it in his possession not knowing the laws concerning SBR's. This could ruin a persons life and jeopardize his freedom as an American citizen cause ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here is his reply,

This was an upper purchased from colt and it's been put on a colt pistol lower.

Anybody with half a brain knows Colt never manufactured AR15 pistol lowers. I could still be wrong but I've been piddling with Colt brand AR's for the last 23-24 years... I was going to call him but I've changed my mind. I guess what I am saying he needs the learning experience.....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Now I understand this..... The brace makes this firearm legal. If he put the 4 position stock on the lower that in itself makes the firearm illegal...

It took a minute for me to get a grip on this but we're on the same page now!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The fact the lower has the word "carbine" engraved in it. Kinda makes an argument tough. I was going to ask if Colt was ever known to made pistol lowers that way.

It looks like he is taking liberties with that "colt pistol lower" term. Seems like he's calling it a pistol lower because he put a brace on it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster2412 View Post
    Now I understand this..... The brace makes this firearm legal. If he put the 4 position stock on the lower that in itself makes the firearm illegal...

It took a minute for me to get a grip on this but we're on the same page now!
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-...tering-firearm

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-...tering-firearm

https://www.impactguns.com/sb-tactic...tention-black/

now check this..... notice it does not say Carbine on roll mark.
    https://charliescustomclones.com/col...-kit-complete/

Now check this and read the description.....
    Colt 2017 and older production lower receivers, complete. 100% Colt parts, M4 Carbine marked lower, with the QR code above the trigger. LE serial number.

These are take-offs from full rifles. Never used, other than test-firing at Colt, but not eligible for you to use as a pistol build.
    https://charliescustomclones.com/col...serial-number/

The one you first posted looks the same, has QR code as well in same location. It seems like maybe it used to be a rifle.

and finally.....
    Colt virgin lower, in factory box

Colt 2018 production lower receivers, complete. 100% Colt parts, M4 Carbine marked lower, with the QR code on the magazine well. CR serial number, blah, blah, blah.

Charlie's sources new Colt factory lowers and also "take-offs" from full rifles. This item is new, and left the Colt factory as a lower, so it is eligible for a pistol build.
    https://charliescustomclones.com/col...uction-virgin/

Oh, and now go back to your original link. Look very closely at the SAFE FIRE QR code area. Use a magnifier. Looks like someone got in there with photoshop while all other numbers and letter s crisp. It's blotchy, the word SAFE is all screwed up. QR code looks funky too plus general blotches.
    Last edited by tb-av; 05-27-20 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Colt never built Pistol AR-15's period. I never saw one and if they ever did you'd think my C-III DD Dealer Dennis Todd would have gotten his hands on one or ? or his Colt sales rep cause his Colt sale rep did some amazing things back in the day including hand selected me a M16A2 Burst rifle from the litter in the Colt vault.
    I got the squeakiest clean A2 burst rifle they had of the bunch in 97 or 98....

And Charlies, CCC he got stuff out the back door from Colt too just like those Virgin lowers... Colt never sold parts period. They used all of their parts. Those Virgin lowers, I don't know who's Johnson got sucked but somebody got a "out the back door deal" right there..

I asked Roland a very direct question, it's strictly business with me about his put together and the man was very evasive in answering me and that told me he's hiding something or holding something back about his put together pistol. I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip truck yesterday. It's not uncommon for me to carry large amounts of cash on me when I'm in the buying mode. One gun or big events like Knob Creek, Tulsa, Indianapolis, Pomona before it was moved to Las Vegas, this is where the deals are made and I learned this the hard way. And Roland wants to beat around the bush about his put together ? I knew going in their was something fishy about his deal right away so after him playing his game I just looked the other way. I asked questions here, asked my friend Tom A. and between everyone involved I told myself naw, Terry stay away from this one. This'll get you into a jam and I don't need to get into any jams right now or anytime down the road so lets just walk away and look for the next deal cause Tom or I, seems like one of us is always bumping into a deal unexpectedly... and I know I'm not going to get them all...damn sure don't need this one..

Thank you all for everyone's effort in helping me decide to turn my head & walk away.
    Last edited by rooster2412; 05-27-20 at 23:20.

Feedback Score
    smart move... waking away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Colt sold complete lowers via Brownells. They were not take offs and would have been received by FFL's as a receiver, even though they shipped with a stock. These specific lowers could be used as pistols with the correct changes (addition of a brace etc). These had LE prefix SN's.

A rifle is forever a rifle, and can not become a pistol, no matter what receiver extension is bolted to it. Brace, no brace, etc. An item is dictated a rifle or a receiver (or a pistol) by the MANUFACTURER not the receiving FFL.

Calling said mfg with the SN will clarify that firearm's disposition as it left the factory.
    Last edited by RadioActivity; 05-28-20 at 02:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast