Page 36 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd and Minneapolis Police UoF - Rioting

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    First of all I generally agree with everything Carlson wrote. I'm posting this 6 hours and several unread pages later, so I beg indulgence if anyone else has reflected on this:

What you’re watching is the ancient battle between those who have a stake in society, and would like to preserve it, and those who don’t, and seek to destroy it.

To a great extent this is true. As has been reported and documented, there are many agitators from outside the areas effected helping drive the ongoing disturbance chain. But, that is really too simplistic a view, what about the original disturbance which sparked all this?

I had to study and educate myself on riots and mass disturbances in order to give credible basic riot control instruction to police recruits. Part of that study embraced mob psychology and makeup in order to use tactics to 'persuade' less-committed rioters to flee, hopefully creating a cascading effect that is effective in breaking the disturbance. That is a simplistic explanation to give some background to my thoughts.

And I want to remind you, I'm talking about the initial riot/disturbance, not follow-on events which are originated by the folks Tucker was talking about.

So, who are those less-committed rioters? In come cases they are tag-a-longs, folks who are there because they are with someone - spouse, friend, family member - who is interested in the cause. They are among the first to say ' let's get out of here,' often before things get bad.

Next up is the person who was lawfully assembling to redress their grievances. They didn't come to do damage and destruction, but often as the situation cascades and becomes a riot, resistivie action becomes legitimized, often because ineffective techniques used by the police to control the situation. If you asked many of them to give context their actions during the riot several days after the event, you would likely receive a variation of no one was more surprised than I regarding what they did. They didn't come to do damage, it just happened.

Having said this, please understand this in no way reduces culpability for their actions.

Going back to the riot, these folks give credence to my belief that the police response to the first brick thrown is probably the most important event in terms of controlling the riot.

The thing is that these folks generally have a legitimate reason for originally showing up to protest. It's easy to say those who have a stake in society, and would like to preserve it, and those who don’t, and seek to destroy it. But, the fact is that many, certainly not all, of these folks have a stake. They are raising kids, many are working, and many feel under-represented and oppressed.

Reading that explanation, do you ever wonder why CPA's, stockbrokers, bankers, don't take to the streets to protest what they perceive as unfair treatment? Primarily because they have other ways to redress their grievances.

So yeah, I get it, some of the folks involved in these disturbances want to tear society down, it think it is rather myopic to simply state these disturbances are simply between those who have a stake in society, and would like to preserve it, and those who don’t, and seek to destroy it.
    Who elected Ilhan Omar and Amy Klobuchar? They have redress and representation. Four officers were almost immediately fired and one charged before the Autopsy was even out. What more exactly do they want?

They want a NEW SOCIETY. That doesn't happen without destroying the old.
    Last edited by Esq.; 05-30-20 at 17:27.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Who elected Ilhan Omar and Amy Klobuchar? They have redress and representation. Four officers were almost immediately fired and one charged before the Autopsy was even out. What more exactly do they want?

They want a NEW SOCIETY. That doesn't happen without destroying the old. Good point!
    Why yes, yes they do.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    And the way of peace we do not know.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

They want a NEW SOCIETY. That doesn't happen without destroying the old.
    I may be way off base here but I doubt the thugs burning buildings or dancing on police cars vote or even understand the concept of voting to bring about change. Which is probably a good thing for us Conservatives. So in their world of government being their cradle to grave provider the only way to effect change is to loot, destroy and bully the government into giving them what they want.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I may be way off base here but I doubt the thugs burning buildings or dancing on police cars vote or even understand the concept of voting to bring about change. Which is probably a good thing for us Conservatives. So in their world of government being their cradle to grave provider the only way to effect change is to loot, destroy and bully the government into giving them what they want.
    The pictures look pretty damning.

I’m pro appropriate action taken if the guy died of strangulation or a huge ischemic stroke from no carotid blood flow on one side. I’m anti riot though.

What happens if....
    They simply had an MI while coked up and being held down and the knee on the neck was not any more contributory than him thrashing around in the back of a car, running around with snot and tears after sprayed, or struggling and trying to fight while cuffed and only department approved positions and holds were used?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    The pictures look pretty damning.

I’m pro appropriate action taken if the guy died of strangulation or a huge ischemic stroke from no carotid blood flow on one side. I’m anti riot though.

What happens if....
    They simply had an MI while coked up and being held down and the knee on the neck was not any more contributory than him thrashing around in the back of a car, running around with snot and tears after sprayed, or struggling and trying to fight while cuffed and only department approved positions and holds were used?
    Your first line there kind of shows your hand, if you will, about how you see it. The last part is Devil's Advocate, but I am convinced the first part is more accurate.

[gallows humor to follow] I know there isn't anything funny about this situation, but when this thread started I wondered if ramairthree was gonna chime in with some co-morbidities thrown in for good measure. You know, like he was in CHF with renal failure and end-stage lung cancer in addition to being a non-compliant diabetic. Good thing it wasn't ruled a COVID death eh?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 05-30-20 at 19:18.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/statu...216823814?s=09

Some good work here. Guy was not f'ing around. A man who knew what he was about....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/statu...216823814?s=09

Some good work here. Guy was not f'ing around. A man who knew what he was about....
    Idiot news anchor couldn't even comprehend the situation. Where do they find these teleprompter readers?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Your first line there kind of shows your hand, if you will, about how you see it. The last part is Devil's Advocate, but I am convinced the first part is more accurate.

[gallows humor to follow] I know there isn't anything funny about this situation, but when this thread started I wondered if ramairthree was gonna chime in with some co-morbidities thrown in for good measure. You know, like he was in CHF with renal failure and end-stage lung cancer in addition to being a non-compliant diabetic. Good thing it wasn't ruled a COVID death eh?

The pictures do look damning.

On the other hand a flexi or handcuffed guy can still put up quite a tussle or run off.

Should they have let him hop and run around kicking and thrashing and still trying to fight or running into a street and getting ran over?
    If he died after getting tased or choking on vomit after getting sprayed would there still be murder on the table?
    Would he have just sat down or stayed on the ground or been chill in the back of a cruiser?

If they determine he was essentially strangled to death, or given the equivalent of a huge ischemic stroke and died, some pretty serious legal charges are going to come down. Which seems appropriate.

I’m not playing devils advocate. If they determine the guy had significant underlying coronary artery disease and a bunch of coke on board, and the knee on the neck was not what killed him, that he would have died from the physical stress of any department approved technique or less than lethal strenuous handling of the situation, the public is still going to be upset over the damning photos and lesser but appropriate actions for that situation.

And, joking aside, the reality is a couple of million Americans die each year from their underlying medical conditions and there are over 35 million hospital admissions each year. While it sounds relatively young, a black guy pushing 50 showing up in an ER
    Having a heart attack is about as run of the mill as it gets. It’s not a surprise plot twist. I don’t have the numbers memorized off the top of my head, but of the 650k or so deaths a year in America from heart disease, it’s a pretty over represented population showing up for first time MI.

The position he was in, as I said, looks damning, no doubt about it. It was also probably the most effortless way to keep him from trying to get up, resist, fight, run off, etc. The five minutes he spent saying he could not breath kind of goes against the knee being the issue. If the knee was choking him out, he wouldn’t have been talking. It also kind of goes against half his brain not getting any blood. Then the three minutes he was unresponsive is kind of surreal.

At best, they held him in a position that looks damning while he was having a heart attack or whatever and died.
    It would have looked a lot better if they said, Hey, it’s so you don’t get up and run off, if you just lay there and chill there is an ambulance coming.

It looks even more damning doing it for two to three minutes while they were unresponsive. If they had stopped then and acted like they noticed something was wrong...

At worst the position was a direct cause. But at least we can all deal with how to handle that.

The real problem lies in,
    What if the dude was just having a heart attack on a bunch of drugs with underlying heart disease...
    And the most the LEO was guilty of was not being medically trained and not recognizing it, while using an unapproved restraint position that had no direct cause or facilitation of the death? How do we handle that?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    The pictures do look damning...….SNIP...….
    You know I was making a joke and poke in the ribs from previous threads (albeit in poor form) don't you?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 36 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast