Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Red Dot Pistol Questions - ZEV Slide

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

First Red Dot Pistol Questions - ZEV Slide

So, I've come to the conclusion that due to my aging eyes that I can no longer hold out on getting red dots on my pistols. I'm going to start with the G17 and follow with the P365. Initially I was looking at sending the slide in, but I think that I might just go ahead and get either the Zev Duty slide, or the Citadel slide, and then just sell my Glock slide with the Trijicon HD night sights.

The Zev RMR cuts appeal to me because of the raised screw thread combined with the front bosses, and also the price for the complete slide. $236 for the nitrided Duty, and $329 for the DLC coated Citadel. As far as the red dot goes, I'm leaning strongly towards the soon to be released Holosun HE-508T V2, which, if anything like its other recently tested predecessors, should hold up to at least as much abuse as an RMR RM06 Type 2. The Holosun seems to be as tough as the RMR, has a clearer and larger window, offers the circle dot reticle, and costs about $100 less.

My main questions at this point revolve around what iron sights to get. Is there a consensus regarding night sights or plain? If night sights, white or colored outline, or black? Which ones, Trijicon, or the various heights Ameriglo offers? What height offers a usable, but minimalistic lower third co-witness?

Any feedback on the Zev slides, or maybe even a Zev barrel would also be appreciated!

PS. I keep a WML on all defensive weapons, and also EDC a 650 lumen pocket light.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Serious question...

If your eyes are leading you to a red dot, why does it matter what kind of back up sights you get?

That being said, unless you have some need for tritium, get the AmeriGlo suppressor height sights in plain black. You have a light on the gun, you won’t need the tritium. Also, you won’t have the possibility of tritium reflecting back at you when your looking through the window.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Serious question...

If your eyes are leading you to a red dot, why does it matter what kind of back up sights you get?

That being said, unless you have some need for tritium, get the AmeriGlo suppressor height sights in plain black. You have a light on the gun, you won’t need the tritium. Also, you won’t have the possibility of tritium reflecting back at you when your looking through the window.
    Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, the only reason is that I know that in learning to use the red dot, co-witnessing can be a great learning aid. As far as night sights vs black, I think you're right, and that's what I'm leaning towards too. Just wanted to get some verification from others.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Keep the Glock slide in case you change your mind later.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, the only reason is that I know that in learning to use the red dot, co-witnessing can be a great learning aid. As far as night sights vs black, I think you're right, and that's what I'm leaning towards too. Just wanted to get some verification from others.
    Do not co witness the irons to the red dot. The irons could have some weird zero like 8 or 23 yards or something. They are independent of each other. Keep them that way.

You will be slower on the RDS until you practice. RDS pistols clean up your draw and presentation big time. Bad presentation the dot isn’t there. There are methods to learn to acquire the dot. YouTube has videos and of course there are classes. Don’t ingrain a cow it ness presentation just to have to fix it later.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Keep the Glock slide in case you change your mind later.
    Good idea. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Do not co witness the irons to the red dot. The irons could have some weird zero like 8 or 23 yards or something. They are independent of each other. Keep them that way.
    You will be slower on the RDS until you practice. RDS pistols clean up your draw and presentation big time. Bad presentation the dot isn’t there. There are methods to learn to acquire the dot. YouTube has videos and of course there are classes. Don’t ingrain a cow it ness presentation just to have to fix it later.
    Thanks for the insight.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    So, I've come to the conclusion that due to my aging eyes that I can no longer hold out on getting red dots on my pistols. I'm going to start with the G17 and follow with the P365. Initially I was looking at sending the slide in, but I think that I might just go ahead and get either the Zev Duty slide, or the Citadel slide, and then just sell my Glock slide with the Trijicon HD night sights.

The Zev RMR cuts appeal to me because of the raised screw thread combined with the front bosses, and also the price for the complete slide. $236 for the nitrided Duty, and $329 for the DLC coated Citadel. As far as the red dot goes, I'm leaning strongly towards the soon to be released Holosun HE-508T V2, which, if anything like its other recently tested predecessors, should hold up to at least as much abuse as an RMR RM06 Type 2. The Holosun seems to be as tough as the RMR, has a clearer and larger window, offers the circle dot reticle, and costs about $100 less.

My main questions at this point revolve around what iron sights to get. Is there a consensus regarding night sights or plain? If night sights, white or colored outline, or black? Which ones, Trijicon, or the various heights Ameriglo offers? What height offers a usable, but minimalistic lower third co-witness?

Any feedback on the Zev slides, or maybe even a Zev barrel would also be appreciated!

PS. I keep a WML on all defensive weapons, and also EDC a 650 lumen pocket light.
    I just made the same switch about 3 months ago. It does take a lot of practice for the red dot to not slow you down. At a certain point it clicked for me, and is now a bit faster than irons. I am still new to it, but have been putting in the work. I have 3 pistols set up with optics, g34, g19, and g43. Have a mix of plain black sights and the g19 has an orange front. I don't perceive a difference, and can't say that I notice the irons at all during presentation and shooting.

My slides are from Zaffiri, and I am happy with them. The g43 has a dueck rbu which I am happy with, as well. Sorry, don't have any input on Zev.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I appreciate the response.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been using a G19 with delta point pro for a little over a year now, for the same reasons as you. I had an MOS gun with an RMR on it and with some training and normal use the MOS plate cracked and I could not maintain zero I finally realized the entire plate had cracked in half under the RMR. After that I went with a Delta Point Pro on a milled OEM glock slide and another on a SUAREZ G19 slide.
    After messing with the red dot for months on my own I took a one day Greenline Tactical Red Dot class and learned a lot on presentation and a few small changes in the way I had been picking up my front sight. By the end of the class I had put it all together and felt a lot better about moving to red dot sights.
    I have a Zev slide on the way with the RMR cut for a G17 now and I am also in a bind on going to the Holosun 508T v2 or the RMR type 2. I really like the wake up on the DPP and the Holosun has that along with the side battery compartment for ease of battery change out I also like the option of the three dot sizes in the Holosun.
    I'll be following along this thread to see where you end up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    I have been using a G19 with delta point pro for a little over a year now, for the same reasons as you. I had an MOS gun with an RMR on it and with some training and normal use the MOS plate cracked and I could not maintain zero I finally realized the entire plate had cracked in half under the RMR. After that I went with a Delta Point Pro on a milled OEM glock slide and another on a SUAREZ G19 slide.
    After messing with the red dot for months on my own I took a one day Greenline Tactical Red Dot class and learned a lot on presentation and a few small changes in the way I had been picking up my front sight. By the end of the class I had put it all together and felt a lot better about moving to red dot sights.
    I have a Zev slide on the way with the RMR cut for a G17 now and I am also in a bind on going to the Holosun 508T v2 or the RMR type 2. I really like the wake up on the DPP and the Holosun has that along with the side battery compartment for ease of battery change out I also like the option of the three dot sizes in the Holosun.
    I'll be following along this thread to see where you end up.
    The difference in price between the RMR RM06 Type 2 with sealing plate, and the HE508T V2 is only about $80. Not really significant enough that I would pick one over the other based on price. And if you take into consideration that the back of the RMR is a little lower in the back, which allows me to use my Tijicon HD night sights, the difference disappears when you consider that I will likely need to spring for taller sights with the Holosun. That said, I'm still getting the Holosun, mostly for the clarity of the glass and better reticle.

I'm tempted to order the RMR, instead of having to wait for the Holosun to be released in the next week or two, but I'm just going to suck it up and wait to get exactly what I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast