Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LWRC SMG-45 or ...?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    Sounds like an M1 carbine or an AR in .350 legend would do you well. The .350 is a nice straight wall cartridge that takes .223 cases with essentially 9mm bullets. Doesn't have the distance of a .223 or .556 but will thump whatever it hits really well and can be in a firearm you are used to. The M1 is and M1 it's been talked to death but it is a light handy package and throwing a small red dot on a commercial version would be just fine. Alternatively a trapper style lever gun in .38/.357 or even 44mag would't be bad.
    I have looked off and on for a classic WWII era M1 Carbine but, to be honest, I find them to be too expensive for what they are. When even rough examples are selling for a $1,000 or more I wonder about other options. If I could find a decent 'rack' grade M1 Carbine for ~$600 I'd be happy to purchase one but, that is not a realistic price in the past few years. When WWII and Korea vets start to pass away, things might change but I'm not waiting for that to happen at some distant point in the future. I have yet to see a commercial example I'd pay $400 for as the quality I look for just isn't there and often they are pimped out which is a real turn off whether an M1 Carbine or an import econobox sedan.

Regarding lever-action options, for people with good shoulders (not me), a 44 Magnum trapper would be a good choice IMHO.

The 350 Legend is attractive to me but, the fixed buffer tube is something I want to avoid. Also, SBR performance is an open question to me right now. A 458 Soccom or 50 Beowulf might be good alternatives. By the time you add a folding stock to your AR-15, the cost really goes up and opens up other options. Hence, my curiosity and desire to give the LWRC SMG-45 a try.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    Sounds like an M1 carbine or an AR in .350 legend would do you well. The .350 is a nice straight wall cartridge that takes .223 cases with essentially 9mm bullets. Doesn't have the distance of a .223 or .556 but will thump whatever it hits really well and can be in a firearm you are used to. The M1 is and M1 it's been talked to death but it is a light handy package and throwing a small red dot on a commercial version would be just fine. Alternatively a trapper style lever gun in .38/.357 or even 44mag would't be bad.
    I’m in the wait-and-see mode on that cartridge to see how it goes for subsonics. The twist looks a little marginal. They kinda messed up the projectile diameter, also. But, it may make a good BLK alternative. In a year or so, if it still exists, I may try a SBR upper. I’m aware that my reluctance may contribute to its disappearance, but I’ve grown weary of the constant bombardment of new cartridges that have fizzled out, not just for the AR. And some of the ones that interested me most died off in the past decade or two. And some of the most interesting remain wildcats.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m in the wait-and-see mode on that cartridge to see how it goes for subsonics. The twist looks a little marginal. They kinda messed up the projectile diameter, also. But, it may make a good BLK alternative. In a year or so, if it still exists, I may try a SBR upper. I’m aware that my reluctance may contribute to its disappearance, but I’ve grown weary of the constant bombardment of new cartridges that have fizzled out, not just for the AR. And some of the ones that interested me most died off in the past decade or two. And some of the most interesting remain wildcats.
    Totally agree. The 357AR would have been a better choice IMHO but, how would they trademark a cartridge already in production by someone else? The boutique cartridge craze really seems to be centered on recreating existing cartridges with very minor tweaks so they can name and trademark them after themselves.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Garand Thumb has about half of a review of the SMG-45:

Short version is that his (sample of one) has accuracy issues. Which I can't help but wonder if the short-recoil operation might be somewhat behind that.

And it sounds like the magazines aren't 100% - some guns have problems with the American-made magazines and some guns have problems with H&K UMP magazines.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Garand Thumb has about half of a review of the SMG-45:

Short version is that his (sample of one) has accuracy issues. Which I can't help but wonder if the short-recoil operation might be somewhat behind that.

And it sounds like the magazines aren't 100% - some guns have problems with the American-made magazines and some guns have problems with H&K UMP magazines.
    Clarification to this his sample size is 5 different guns the one he was sent and other guys who own one that he shoots with. One is an isolated incident 5 starts to look like a pattern.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I'm semi-retired at this point in Rural East Texas as a private citizen dealing with the effects of marijuana and meth addicted neighbors in the area. I have had my mailbox blown up (formal police report filed), so much mail theft I get my mail in town in a PO Box now, and my German Shephard was killed in my front yard about 50 yards from the house and over 400 yards to the nearest public space (through trees and barb wire fencing to the county road).

I have been attacked by peoples 'pets' 3 times, twice involving at least 3 dogs at one time. I have also had a calf killed by 'pets' in my back pasture as well. Between cow chasing dogs and feral hogs, I am suffering significant economic damage. I will not surrender my property to aggressive dogs or outright criminal activity. If they leave me alone and stay off my property, they won't hear a word from me. Killing my dog, blowing up my mailbox, and threatening my physical safety on my property with bad dogs (pets) is where I draw the line.

The last criminal activity was the arson of a rent house across the road from me. That guy is still in prison on unrelated charges last I heard.

At this point, I carry my KAC SR-15 like I wear a watch. As much as I love that rifle, it is too big and clumsy to have on my person while doing "farm and ranch things". I also want more than a pistol when the pucker factor goes to maximum. I'm not looking for trouble, I just want to live my life on my property without threats to my safety or property and, I want to be better prepared to defend myself IF I CHOOSE TO TAKE THAT ACTION. Skill and confidence in my 'equipment' lets me take the time to make a good decision versus needing to react quickly due to stress and less confidence in myself and the hardware at hand.

What I have in the safe or even in the house does me no good if I'm out in the horse barn, working the orchard and garden, or mending fence when a single dog or a small pack comes at me or the cows and their calves. Neither is acceptable.
    Maybe stick with the SR-15 and carry a couple D60's in a 4-wheeler or side by side.

Also, if someone is shooting your dog from 400+ yards for the hell of it, you've got some serious shit going on.

Is there more to these stories? Have all of these been filed? Blowing up a mailbox can be a federal crime.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Maybe stick with the SR-15 and carry a couple D60's in a 4-wheeler or side by side.

Also, if someone is shooting your dog from 400+ yards for the hell of it, you've got some serious shit going on.

Is there more to these stories? Have all of these been filed? Blowing up a mailbox can be a federal crime.
    Yes, police reports were filed along with contacting the Postal Inspector for the mailbox.

With the arson taking that rental house out of the picture, things have gotten better. The dopers about a mile away seem to have gone to jail since there isn't any more marijuana smoke routinely wafting to the roadway. Two new houses for retirees were built down there so, I suspect that is also a factor.

I am routinely hearing gunfire during the day from rifles so, the ranching neighbors are certainly fighting similar issues whether feral hogs, mean or cow chasing dogs or, similar things.

The problem house down the road has added a bunch for older teenagers or young men who routinely are playing loud music, racing dirt bikes on the asphalt road, and do wheelies on the bikes and ATV's ... in general being real nusiances. One of them has a 'friend' in a pickup that disturbs me in my house with AC running and the TV on. I've been around straight pipes on cars that werent that @#$% loud.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 07-30-20 at 18:20.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Yes, police reports were filed along with contacting the Postal Inspector for the mailbox.

With the arson taking that rental house out of the picture, things have gotten better. The dopers about a mile away seem to have gone to jail since there isn't any more marijuana smoke routinely wafting to the roadway. Two new houses for retirees were built down there so, I suspect that is also a factor.

I am routinely hearing gunfire during the day from rifles so, the ranching neighbors are certainly fighting similar issues whether feral hogs, mean or cow chasing dogs or, similar things.

The problem house down the road has added a bunch for older teenagers or young men who routinely are playing loud music, racing dirt bikes on the asphalt road, and do wheelies on the bikes and ATV's ... in general being real nusiances. One of them has a 'friend' in a pickup that disturbs me in my house with AC running and the TV on. I've been around straight pipes on cars that werent that @#$% loud.
    Do they own or rent that house? You can be in contact with the home owner, or property management to have that stuff ceased.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They lady that lives there owns the house and helps homeless people and others from her church.

Regarding the other issues, my neighbors have tried to stop the shenigans on the public roadway but, that only inflamed things. The County Sherrif department is stretched pretty thin so dealing with these hooligans isn't going to get any attention, even less than my report of mailbox thefts and vandalism.

With cows and newborn calves, I don't want to go the store one day and comeback to find them all dead after a verbal altercation with those idiots. Hopefully Darwinism will work things out with those potential Darwin award winners ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution37 View Post
    If you’re thinking 45, the LWRC is probably the best game in town. The Vector may be an option but I think the recoil system’s benefits disappear when it’s not a machine gun.

If CZ could make a Scorpion in 45ACP, they’d sell a bazillion of them.
    A CZ EVO in 10mm would sell as well. Waiting....praying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast