Feedback Score

HK MR556A1 in FDE

Looks nice if you have some extra coin laying around:

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/mr556a1-fde/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Weights more than a SR-25 CC.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    "The principal difference between HK416 barrels and MR556A1 barrels is the lining. HK416 barrels are chrome-lined to ensure longer service life under fully-automatic fire. MR556A1 barrels are unlined for superior accuracy, while maintaining exemplary service life under semi-automatic fire."

Interesting. I would have thought that the barrel would be chrome lined.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Weights more than a SR-25 CC.

Marvin Pitts can fix that!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I believe the MR556 has a thicker barrel, but I am getting my info from 9 hole reviews on youtube. They did tests on both the MR556 and the Brownell's 416 clone and rated the 416 higher because while both were front heavy the 416 was less which made it more usable. Now if you are looking for a target rifle instead of a fighting rifle the MR might be better, but better than a KAC SR-15 LPR which is over a pound lighter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwnApGfS5sA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqMKmIMHXbY
    Last edited by mack7.62; 05-29-20 at 07:58.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's sold as a solution to alleged direct impingement poop where it eats unreliability. No, a properly made Stoner action runs indefinitely; see "Filthy 14."

I'm sure it's an excellent rifle, certainly worthy of roof-Korean duty. But it's 2 pounds heavier than my 6920 and it's north of 3 grand?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    Marvin Pitts can fix that!
    He can also hook you up with a chrome lined barrel, but for the price of that MR556 it should come with one from the factory (and give blowjobs too!).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    It's sold as a solution to alleged direct impingement poop where it eats unreliability. No, a properly made Stoner action runs indefinitely; see "Filthy 14."
    Only if you keep the gun lubed. There are niches where a lubed gun is not necessarily desirable, and thus a piston gun has an advantage over DI, see here: https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/chuck-pressburg-hk-416/

Not really something that affects the vast majority of shooters, even in a duty capacity, but it is a real issue.

FWIW, if you absolutely must have a chrome-lined barrel from H&K, Arms Unlimited has been periodically selling imported MR223A3s, though for exorbitant amounts.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-29-20 at 15:58.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Only if you keep the gun lubed. There are niches where a lubed gun is not necessarily desirable, and thus a piston gun has an advantage over DI, see here: https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/chuck-pressburg-hk-416/

Not really something that affects the vast majority of shooters, even in a duty capacity, but it is a real issue.

FWIW, if you absolutely must have a chrome-lined barrel from H&K, Arms Unlimited has been periodically selling imported MR223A3s, though for exorbitant amounts.
    He is talking about only firing 2-3 magazines at most dry. Any DI AR15 can handle that, and the amount of people who are hopping out of helicopters getting covered with sand is probably at or very close to zero now that GWOT has wound down anyway.

Further, *multiple* studies have shown that heavily lubricated M16s actually run better in sand than dry ones. He just didn’t want to spend time getting all the lube off that he didn’t expect to need (see first sentence)

That’s not a niche - that’s just one guy’s weird preference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    He is talking about only firing 2-3 magazines at most dry. Any DI AR15 can handle that, and the amount of people who are hopping out of helicopters getting covered with sand is probably at or very close to zero now that GWOT has wound down anyway.

Further, *multiple* studies have shown that heavily lubricated M16s actually run better in sand than dry ones. He just didn’t want to spend time getting all the lube off that he didn’t expect to need (see first sentence)

That’s not a niche - that’s just one guy’s weird preference.
    Can DI ARs do it bone dry while also with all the sand and dust that rotor wash could kick up? Like I said, it's a niche for sure, and I specifically stipulated that it's a very small use case even in a professional capacity.

As for the lube issue, I did not state otherwise, I am well aware that a lubed AR will work far better than a dry one even in dusty environs, counter to early GWOT wisdom, and in fact hinted as much from my statement about needing to keep the gun lubed. The AR-15 works fine as long as you keep it reasonably lubed, but the short-stroke piston guns are generally sold on the principle that they work better than ARs when both are dry. Clearly not a concern for those of us that know ARs are fine when run wet, and are reasonably close to impossible to overlube, but for specific niche applications, the fairly lax lubing and maintenance schedule that an AR-15 demands are still too much, whether it be that you have an op tempo that just doesn't allow for it, heavy use of suppressed weapons in auto, or just institutional inertia that prevents you from keeping your weapon lubed.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast