Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scar 16, question

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Scar 16, question

If this is the wrong place for this I apologize. But what’s the current feelings on the scar 16? Price not being a factor. Specifically With a 10” barrel suppressed. Looking at this or getting a sr15 cqb. Parts availability isn’t a concern nor is price. Just looking for how the general consensus is on it with regards to performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have experience with the SCAR-16. People I respect with military experience speak very highly of the KAC 11.5" option. My SCAR-17 is a good rifle but, today I would without question prefer to have a KAC SR-25 in my stable so, I may be a bit biased personally. I own a lot of good rifles but, the KAC SR-15 LPR Mod 2 without a doubt is my favorite! I think I actually like it more than my class 3 rifles, it is that good!

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dylank0723 View Post
    If this is the wrong place for this I apologize...
    Yep, wrong place. Go here:https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...tomatic-Rifles

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The 16 is not worth the squeeze in my opinion.

The additional cost of the gun, lack of support from FN, inability to get spare parts, insane cost of spare parts when available, FN saying your on your own if you suppress it, the upper being the NFA item vs the lower restricting you to one format vs an AR, issues with the stock and rear screws, you can get better accuracy from most ARs now days, the weight is heavy in comparison to a 10.5 AR or most ARs for that matter, like the 17 you need to drop a decent rail and good trigger costing at least $500, and the overgased nature of the system makes it a hard no for me. I would MUCH rather have a DD MK18.

The 17 is worth the squeeze after a few upgrades because it offers things still not available in the marketplace but AR10s are catching up. I disagree with the previous poster and I think Knights would agree, the SR-25 and the SCAR 17 play different roles. But like the 16 the gun is not ergonomic and really not ideal without a longer front rail like the KDG and a new trigger like the Geissele.

I own a 17 because some gave me one for some work I did for them but I would never buy one. If someone gave me a SCAR 16 I would sell it immediately and absolutely no way would I ever put $200 towards a tax stamp on it. YMMV

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love my 16S as an 10" SBR. That's where the SCAR design really shines in my opinion. I like my 17S, but it's hard to beat just how handy the 16S is as an SBR. Much better than my DD Mk18, as much as I like that set up as well. Besides the 10" barrel (obviously) and a chopped down Midwest Industries rail, I've never felt the need to replace or upgrade anything. Tried out a different buttstock for a while, but I'm back to the Ugg. Trigger is fine; I'm sure others are better, but I never noticed any difference between either SCAR trigger and any of the rack-grade M4s or M4A1s I have experience with. (they're actually much better than the M4A1s were initially, by a considerable margin)

Can't comment on using it suppressed though, as that's not my jam.

Obligatory picture:
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    The 17 is worth the squeeze after a few upgrades because it offers things still not available in the marketplace but AR10s are catching up. I disagree with the previous poster and I think Knights would agree, the SR-25 and the SCAR 17 play different roles. But like the 16 the gun is not ergonomic and really not ideal without a longer front rail like the KDG and a new trigger like the Geissele.
    Different roles? Yes to a degree but, now many years later I think the SCAR 17 was a flavor of the moment and the KAC SR-25 while a somewhat dissimilar rifle would better suit me and what I do with them now. The "Lego" flavor of the SCAR 17 can be good or bad depending on what you want to do with it. Today, I wish I had the 5.56 version of the AAC can but, I can mount the 7.62 version to other rifles. If AAC offered that 'reflex' style can again, I'd be a buyer even under current ownership.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The SCAR 16 is a great rifle, but it's not for everyone - I bought mine a long time ago for just over $2k new. Today they run about $2500+ so it can be a factor.

Some things it does well? Suppresses well being piston w/adjustable gas block. It's been folding it stock before that kind of thing was cool and desirable with the AR15 crowd and everyone had to have a LAW TACTICAL FOLDER. It runs clean as hell - both of my SCARs have gone nearly 1K rounds over many months with minimal to no lube at all. Barrel changing is easy but the fact that they are $1k a pop sucks. People complain about the charging handle but it's not a big deal to me.

If I had to buy today, I likely wouldn't buy a new SCAR 16, as I'm comfortable with the AR15 SBR / Suppressed, but I have no regrets about buying my SCAR 16 & 17 years ago. They are handy, relatively lightweight, accurate and fun to shoot. I have plenty of parts for mine and will have them forever or until I gift them to family members in many decades when its time to pass them on.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    IMO, SCAR16 is a great rifle. Some people don't like particular features, but I really like it overall. I think it has a good modern design, controls, and very appealing package overall. Besides, it is built by one company to mil-spec with mil-spec parts and processes. Not an AR frankengun for sure.

That being said, if you factor in the ownership cost and spare parts availability at the end of the day it still shoots 5.56 no more reliably than a good AR15. I'd say definitely go for it if you want one. The two reasons not to buy one are: cost, or if you want a different controls/ergonomics.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Give me some reasons to grab one over a sr15, or even a 416 upper build (I know where I can get them for a good price)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I agree with this. It’s a fantastic SBR. It’s arguable the most reliable rifle in existence, and yeah FN support sucks but nothing breaks on it.

One thing though is if you want to suppress it then it’s highly recommended to replace your gas jets as the factory one is too big. Parker Mountain Machine makes a variety of sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    I love my 16S as an 10" SBR. That's where the SCAR design really shines in my opinion. I like my 17S, but it's hard to beat just how handy the 16S is as an SBR. Much better than my DD Mk18, as much as I like that set up as well. Besides the 10" barrel (obviously) and a chopped down Midwest Industries rail, I've never felt the need to replace or upgrade anything. Tried out a different buttstock for a while, but I'm back to the Ugg. Trigger is fine; I'm sure others are better, but I never noticed any difference between either SCAR trigger and any of the rack-grade M4s or M4A1s I have experience with. (they're actually much better than the M4A1s were initially, by a considerable margin)

Can't comment on using it suppressed though, as that's not my jam.

Obligatory picture:
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast