Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scar 16, question

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Anyone have an approximate parts life on the extractor springs for a sr15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Any updated thoughts on the SCAR 16S now that it comes with a non-reciprocating charging handle? I'm thinking about adding one to my collection. I'm pretty much a military style rifle whore, so I like almost all of them and one doesn't have to be the best for me to buy it. The only thing that's holding me back is the price, but I can afford it. On principal it just seems like it's too much, but that logic hasn't always stopped me in the past. I love my Bren2 and the price of it was less than half of the SCAR 16S. I have no way of knowing, but it seems like FN might have it priced so high for the civilian market so they can keep getting big bucks from the military. All that said and given that it's a US military rifle, it just seems like it belongs in my collection.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Any updated thoughts on the SCAR 16S now that it comes with a non-reciprocating charging handle? I'm thinking about adding one to my collection. I'm pretty much a military style rifle whore, so I like almost all of them and one doesn't have to be the best for me to buy it. The only thing that's holding me back is the price, but I can afford it. On principal it just seems like it's too much, but that logic hasn't always stopped me in the past. I love my Bren2 and the price of it was less than half of the SCAR 16S. I have no way of knowing, but it seems like FN might have it priced so high for the civilian market so they can keep getting big bucks from the military. All that said and given that it's a US military rifle, it just seems like it belongs in my collection.
    I don't really see the appeal of the NRCH, but the RCH has never bothered me in the slightest, so I'm likely not their target consumer. I really don't know if I'd pay the current going prices for the 16S (good lord, they've gotten pricey haven't they?) but people said the same thing when they were going for $2K, so maybe it's a good investment.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    I bought one back in 2016. How much are they going for nowadays?

Feedback Score
    About $3,100 is the best I could find.

Feedback Score
    Personally, I think it is worth it, and I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find many SCAR owners who thinks they overpaid for the platform. Asking that question of anyone that does not own a SCAR is setting the stage for comments regarding what they would rather do with $3,100.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I snagged my 16 for 1800 a couple years back. Chopped it to 10.5ish and added an MREX rail. It makes an amazing SBR. Though I need to have the finish fixed.

FN support sucks. However there is a growing secondary market to make up for this. Especially PMM as others have mentioned.
    Last edited by kwelz; 03-08-22 at 19:25.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    I went ahead and ordered one and am looking forward to shooting it. I also went ahead and ordered a flat dark earth (aka tan) ACOG, a flat dark earth American Defense Manufacturing two lever scope mount and some flat dark earth rail covers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm sure I would prefer a NRCH on my SCARs, but I have my forward BCM grips on them far enough forward to not catch on them.

Prices are insane; I paid $2100 on a 16S and $2400 for a 17S, granted these were nearly a decade ago. Both rifles are reliable and fun to shoot; critics will chime in with issues for both but they both do what I want. However, I certainly wouldn't pay $3-4K for them these days, especially with AR-10(ish) 308 rifles becoming far more common / popular / reliable.

OP, enjoy your 16!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Where's the get both option?

I bought my Scar 16 and a legacy SR15 IWS at the same time, and shot the snot out of both pretty equally. Fast forward a few years and I had a couple SBR stamps, and a 10" barrel Assy for the SCAR and a CQB upper for one of my AR lowers. There are things that I obviously like more about the SR15 upper, but I really cannot say that I would pick one over the other. The biggest difference is how much louder the SCAR is suppressed with a NT4 at the ear without plugs or muffs, with ear pro you cannot tell the difference.

Last edited by Turnkey11; 03-20-22 at 07:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast