Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFA Pro's - Neutering LEOSA 1033 Rifles

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

NFA Pro's - Neutering LEOSA 1033 Rifles

If you were going to convert an agency's select-fire rifle to semi-auto only, which would you do:

1) Install a semi-auto selector leaving the auto sear in place.

2) Remove the auto-sear, replace selector, and return the auto-sear to the agency with other parts.

If the course of action taken was #2, are there any legal problems with this action?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The National Firearms Act defines "machinegun" as "any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger." 26 U.S.C. 5845(b). The term also includes "the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such
    -2-parts are in the possession or under the control of the person." Id.; see 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(23); 27 CFR 478.11, 479.11.

#1 sounds like an no-go to me. "auto sear" kinda has that 'intended solely' sound to it.

#2 sounds like ---- "the frame or receiver of any such weapon,

I'm not a lawyer, not a BATF expert, not an NFA Pro, did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

It sounds like to me there is not a solution under your scenario. Neutering via 1 or 2 not possible. It seems like all the important parts you mention are defined as a machine gun, singularly and in combination regardless of proximity to a great extent.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted - please see post below.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-29-20 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Armsunlimited sells a kit to do this, I believe you also remove the auto sear.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M...it-p/sf2sa.htm

Colt M16 Select-Fire to Semi-Auto Conversion Kit
    Description:
    All factory Colt parts needed to properly convert select fire (full auto or burst) M16 rifles to semi-automatic only.

Ideal solution for agencies in possession of surplus M16s from the US Government that do not need/want automatic capability.
    Includes:

SP63000: Colt Safety Selector, Semi-Auto
    SP63036: Colt Disconnector, Semi-Auto (0.155)
    SP63026: Colt Spring, Disconnecter
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Rather than spend a butt-load of money on new selectors and disconnectors you can try to find the selector lock:

"M16 selector lock plate" NSN 1005-00-233-9031

Whatever you do, the weapon receiver remains an M16 under NFA rules -- but it is only capable of semi-auto fire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    This. Simplest option.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone.

I should have mentioned that we were aware the rifles would forever be M16's.

A quick search reveals to me that the M16 Selector Lock Plate is unobtanium.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Rather than spend a butt-load of money on new selectors and disconnectors you can try to find the selector lock:

Whatever you do, the weapon receiver remains an M16 under NFA rules -- but it is only capable of semi-auto fire.
    Read about, but never seen those.

Does the extra space cause the selector and detent relationship to get mushy/sloppy?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I should have mentioned that we were aware the rifles would forever be M16's.

A quick search reveals to me that the M16 Selector Lock Plate is unobtanium.
    I remember gallon zip lock bags of these, but haven't seen them in awhile. How many do you need?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just swap the selector to semiauto-only and (optional) remove the autosear.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast